Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Stock RTR tires, any beadlock mounting issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stock RTR tires, any beadlock mounting issues?

So my stock wheels stripped the hexs, I have some proline flat irons on some gmade gt02s. Was thinking of mounting stockers to the gmade and getting some new wheels for the proline (run them on my scx10II). I remember watching a
Youtube video that issues with beads holding, cant remember if was rims or tires that were the issue.
Thanks.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2017, 02:37 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Stock RTR tires, any beadlock mounting issues?

My kits wheels popped the beads real fast and my local CKRC told me to glue my beadlocks lol.. Obviously it being my first kit I listened to them.. At least they didnt come off anymore..

Just got some proline faultline wheels and hyrax tires. Theyve been great so far.
solidshark91493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The rtr tires have unique beads that don't play well with most beadlocks. Supposedly the kits R35 compound tires work ok with beadlocks.

I have some R35 Ripsaws mounted on Pro-line faultlines. Had to glue them together to keep the beads in place. They were fine for crawling without glue, but even a couple good donuts on 3s would yank them out. Not sure if it's due to flex in the plastic wheel, or a compatibility issue between the Axial tires and Pro-line wheels.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidshark91493 View Post
My kits wheels popped the beads real fast and my local CKRC told me to glue my beadlocks lol.. Obviously it being my first kit I listened to them.. At least they didnt come off anymore..

Just got some proline faultline wheels and hyrax tires. Theyve been great so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The rtr tires have unique beads that don't play well with most beadlocks. Supposedly the kits R35 compound tires work ok with beadlocks.

I have some R35 Ripsaws mounted on Pro-line faultlines. Had to glue them together to keep the beads in place. They were fine for crawling without glue, but even a couple good donuts on 3s would yank them out. Not sure if it's due to flex in the plastic wheel, or a compatibility issue between the Axial tires and Pro-line wheels.
Ive heard of this issue before. Axial tires generally have a smaller bead than Pro Line tires do, so perhaps the channel between the ring and wheel face is just designed more for their tires.

Early RTR S30 compound BFG KR2s had the glue on only bead, but from what I had been told most of the later RTR S30 compound ones had the standard beadlock type bead that Axial ended up switching back too.
R35 KR2s have zero issues with mounting (I have a set and they are great)

In solid sharks case, the Kit beadlocks dont hold beads the best ( I had issues with them on my yeti, even on 2s). For a slow crawl trail rig they are great, but any sort of speed and Id suggest looking in to an aluminum or delrin option.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

-Axial BFG Baja T/A R35 (kit tires)
-Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild foam
-Vanquish Method 105 1.2" beadlocks (I could literally mount these with one hand and my eyes closed)
-Tekin T8 1900kv on 4s.

I'm confident that the tires would rip before the wheels throw a bead. YMMV with other brands of wheels.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidshark91493 View Post
CKRC told me to glue my beadlocks lol..
I'm dumbfounded that they would tell you to do that. Axial 2.2 beadlocks are nothing to write home about, but they will work when assembled correctly.

The stock Axial tires should work just fine with GMade beadlocks. They will work fine with any beadlock wheel that I can think of. But the stock tires are not worth keeping IMO. Do yourself a favor and upgrade those as well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I don't have a need to upgrade these tires, I prefer my scx10II and got the bomber so I could have a second for kids/backup/loaner.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've had zero issues with my stock kit bfg's holding a bead on the axial beadlocks...
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
I've had zero issues with my stock kit bfg's holding a bead on the axial beadlocks...
prob cuz the motor u runnin
stump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

U have tried three times to mount on gmade beadlocks, they won't hold. The third time I wrapped each side of the inner ring with 2 layers of electrical tape. What's everyone thought of buying new stock rims($20) and epoxy in some spare plastic hexs for the start?

Stock RTR tires, any beadlock mounting issues? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting tires on Beadlock Wheels Habanero Newbie General 23 05-16-2015 10:37 PM
Video of my trick for mounting pitbull tires to Stamped Steel Beadlock Wheels bvitale Tires and Wheels 0 12-05-2014 11:20 PM
Mounting tires without stripping stock screws Agent.007 Axial XR10 3 02-29-2012 03:28 PM