Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bomber crawling

How many Bomber owners do a fair bit of crawling with their rig?
It seems a much more capable crawler then the Yeti but still a fast, fun bouncer like the Yeti. Considered buying one and wanted some trail input.
Everyone I have talked to locally says it's their favorite truck to own so far.
Dan_in_real_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bomber crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_real_life View Post
It seems a much more capable crawler then the Yeti but still a fast, fun bouncer like the Yeti. Considered buying one and wanted some trail input.
Everyone I have talked to locally says it's their favorite truck to own so far.
This is exactly why i bought one

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have the Org SCX10 and Yeti and am considering a bomber for the same reason. Seems like a combination of the two.
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #4

I mostly crawl and do trail runs with my Bomber. It crawls well and also has a bit of speed for small jumps and things like that. The Bomber is the best Axial rig, by far, in my opinion. It's also the best all around crawling/go-fast rig I've ever owned. Tons of fun and I highly recommend them!

I do suggest you splurge for good electronics to give the Bomber its full potential. Castle Mamba X ESC and a Tekin ROC412 or Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro motor.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

How is the durability of a bomber in general? For example, I read a lot of people complaining about how the Yeti and SMT10 break constantly when you throw some speed/power at them. Is the bomber significantly better?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
How is the durability of a bomber in general? For example, I read a lot of people complaining about how the Yeti and SMT10 break constantly when you throw some speed/power at them. Is the bomber significantly better?
Depends on what parts of those two are breaking.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
The AR60 axles are weak. They will need to be beefed up to withstand power. I have Beef Tubes, upgraded CVDs/axles, HD gears, and shims.

Other than that my Bomber has been durable.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:

I crawl with my Bomber all the time. Added beef tubes, VP knuckles/hubs and brass knuckles. Every upgrade that lowered CoG allowed it to crawl that much better.

I have a roc412 with 2 speed tranny so it can still get up and go fast too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm still contemplating building an actual 1.9 trail truck. But lately with all the positive feedback on the bomber I'm a little torn.
Seems like the bomber could also fill the spot as a trail rig even if it is a 2.2
Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

Default Bomber crawling

Quote:
I'm still contemplating building an actual 1.9 trail truck. But lately with all the positive feedback on the bomber I'm a little torn.
Seems like the bomber could also fill the spot as a trail rig even if it is a 2.2

This is valid. I must say however, there are places my SCX10 can go that the bomber can not!

But the scx10 does not go fast... at all with its current setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Bomber! Go to rig! Nuff said. 98% Crawler, 2% Basher!!
blckgnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You can always have a set of 1.9" wheels and tires for a more scale appearing trail rig. One of my upcoming builds will be much better at crawling than the other, they'll be pretty much polar opposites...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
You can always have a set of 1.9" wheels and tires for a more scale appearing trail rig. One of my upcoming builds will be much better at crawling than the other, they'll be pretty much polar opposites...
Do you have to change anything to use 1.9 wheels?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

No. Just slap on a set of 1.9 wheels and tires.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I can always take out Yeti if I want to get a bash fix. I think I will start with building a more capable 1.9 truck for trailing and I can always get a Bomber later.
What's the point in a collection if you don't keep adding, roght?��
Old 03-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The main issue with 1.9 setups on the Bomber is the axle pumpkin is fairly large, so stick with tall-ish tires to keep from smacking it on every obstacle.

Keeping the track width narrow by avoiding huge offsets will also help protect the AR60 OCP differential housings that help set the Bomber & Wraith apart from the SCX10 line.

There have been Bomber builds that used axles from the SCX10/SCX10.2 to make for a more scale-appearing and challenging to drive vehicle.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I do a lot of trailing with my Bomber, fast, slow, crawling, mud etc.
It isn't lightning quick with 3400kv on 2s, but fast enough for some fun times on jumping it.
Could go up to 3s, but never tried as I don't have any 3s.
It does it all pretty good, I also got a TRX4 and some bashers, but I always end up using my Bomber.
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #18

My bomber is set up with a Castle Mamba X esc and 2850 Castle motor. On 3S it's got as much speed as I could ever need except maybe in wide open areas, but I have bashers for when I'm running in those sort of areas. The 2850 on 3S is more motor than I'll ever need on the trails and on the rocks, and more than enough to launch the vehicle up steep hills and any jumps I may encounter in the wild. So far my only breakage has been a suspension link. The Bomber kit comes with stronger parts than the RTR, including the upgraded diff gears & axles.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
My bomber is set up with a Castle Mamba X esc and 2850 Castle motor. On 3S it's got as much speed as I could ever need except maybe in wide open areas, but I have bashers for when I'm running in those sort of areas. The 2850 on 3S is more motor than I'll ever need on the trails and on the rocks, and more than enough to launch the vehicle up steep hills and any jumps I may encounter in the wild. So far my only breakage has been a suspension link. The Bomber kit comes with stronger parts than the RTR, including the upgraded diff gears & axles.
I also recently upgraded my bomber to the Castle MambaX and 2850kv motor and it is awesome. It's really fast on 3s.

I keep it on 2s mostly because its fast enough.

I just upgraded to the SSD 2 speed kit and now I think my Bomber is AMAZING. the 2.34:1 low gear is crawler heaven, and the wheel speed and power you still get in high gear 1:1 really gets you moving.
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Do you have the AUX wire from Mamba X on the same channel as the 2-speed transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrchair View Post
I also recently upgraded my bomber to the Castle MambaX and 2850kv motor and it is awesome. It's really fast on 3s.

I keep it on 2s mostly because its fast enough.

I just upgraded to the SSD 2 speed kit and now I think my Bomber is AMAZING. the 2.34:1 low gear is crawler heaven, and the wheel speed and power you still get in high gear 1:1 really gets you moving.

Bomber crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial RR10 Bomber Kit bashing and crawling straightshooterjeeps Scale Videos! 0 09-18-2016 10:09 AM
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM
RR10 Bomber Stricktly crawling suspension upgrade question.. CosmicBearings Axial RR10 Bomber 31 05-19-2016 08:54 AM