Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber or Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber or Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagenetics View Post
I would be surprised if any of the mainstream trucks could do that including the capra.
My capra might be able to do it but I'd have to swap tires to find out.

It is a very difficult crawler line for sure. I guess I have a totally different expectation for the word crawler. I've seen most everything be called a crawler when used to drive slow but I use the term as a metric for capability.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
It is a very difficult crawler line for sure. I guess I have a totally different expectation for the word crawler. I've seen most everything be called a crawler when used to drive slow but I use the term as a metric for capability.
There definitely is shades of gray. If you go true to scale no truck is going to crawl that line. If you go with a custom comp crawler then sure and given the topic that leans more towards scale then comp.

There is a local group that would trash talk that video all day because its not "scale" along with big tires and lexan bodies.

Just depends on what you want to accomplish with the truck.
rnagenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagenetics View Post
There definitely is shades of gray. If you go true to scale no truck is going to crawl that line. If you go with a custom comp crawler then sure and given the topic that leans more towards scale then comp.

There is a local group that would trash talk that video all day because its not "scale" along with big tires and lexan bodies.

Just depends on what you want to accomplish with the truck.
The funny part is easily 80% of that rig is straight off of a scale rig. Bomber/wraith front axle scx10.2 rear axle. Traxxas drivelines etc. Nothing crazy 9r tricky about it save for the weight setup and tuning to not suck.

We have the same hyper scale guys around here. They are happy to be challenged by virtually nothing and call my rigs cheaters. I just giggle and go climb passed them. It is great entertainment.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Tooling along the trails and doing something like this are very different. A bomber cannot do this line, period and yes it's a difficult line but it's just another obstacle in the life of a capable rig.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50-0SZSctgs
A thousand dollars says Randy Slawson's bomber can obliterate that line in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
A thousand dollars says Randy Slawson's bomber can obliterate that line in a heartbeat.

I'd certainly hope so. A stock toyota 4x4 could park on that rock without much effort.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I think you need to take the vehicle's design intent into consideration first. Bomber won't crawl like a Capra, Capra won't U4 like a Bomber..... Then you have the vehicle's physical size. If you aren't fortunate to have "scale" terrain for the larger rigs, the smaller rig may be more in demand. I love the Traxxas UDR, but it's just too big to run locally. SBR or Super Rock Rey suffer the same fate. Then operating cost, little rig= little batteries..... replacement parts..... Where am I going with this???? So, who is getting a Bomber or just got one? Personally, I love my Bomber, if that is what I can call it. Suits my local terrain to the T, KOH style. Sadly, I don't see them at my LHS, but they have a ton of Capra RTRs. Still makes me wonder, could we be looking at a dinosaur?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Still makes me wonder, could we be looking at a dinosaur?
Definitely. It's clear that the market has moved away from 2.2 vehicles. Axial released the 1.9 Wraith, then the Capra. Those are the "next generation" of the Wraith & Bomber vehicles. With the demise of the Yeti and the Rock Rey being on its last legs, the 2.2 market is just about gone.

If anybody needs me, I'll be in my workshop with my Bomber, a PBR and a dirty old hat until these 1.9 tire owning, IPA drinking, man-bun wearing hippies go away.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 12-20-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #48
RCC Addict

So should we be looking for a 1.9 Bomber???
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Doubtful. The Bomber never seemed to catch on like the Wraith.

I'd be all for it if they improve the design.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #50

Quote:
It seems like the Capra more or less filled that role.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I have had both (bomber and currently a Capra). I don't seem to keep specific rigs for very long.
I always have some sort of 1.9 class 2 rig. Currently a trx4 but probably on the chopping block next.
My bomber was my first sensored brushless rig. I loved it. I built a pretty bad ass crawler out of it too. Lowered it and tummy tucked the skid, rear links instead of trailing arms. It just worked. It could kill some hill climbs and thrash about like a crazy ape too. But I spent a bunch to make it fairly reliable. I say fairly cause I'm not sure an AR60 Brushless based rig can ever be reliable. I realized jack of all trades vehicles just don't cut it for me. Its gotta be close to great at what it does. Not ok at a bunch of things. So I parted ways with it.
I bought a Rock Rey for my go fast scalish rig. It'll probably disappear to be replaced with a fully independent suspension rig. Again I prefer performance over scale I suppose.
The Capra has quickly become my favorite. For what it was built for.....more like what WHATE-TRASH calls crawling, its the best out of the box rig currently available. Bone stock it crawls circles around all 1.9 and 2.2 stock rigs. The quality is soooo much better than anything axial has ever produced before too.

If you're like me, you'll end up with both someday. So don't stress it too much. lol
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #52

i'm at this crossroad because i'm gonna buy a slightly used of one or the other. My friend has 6 acres and a very cool course with hard natural stuff. He says 1.9 rigs do not do very well on his property and this is where i'll be majority of the time
TN-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #53
RCC Addict

So put 2.2"s on the Capra. It will already outcrawl a Bomber (which isn't too difficult to do) on 1.9"s, putting 2.2"s on the Capra is a step closer to a sportsman class crawler and there are chassis' available to get it even closer. Works for me.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
So put 2.2"s on the Capra. It will already outcrawl a Bomber (which isn't too difficult to do) on 1.9"s, putting 2.2"s on the Capra is a step closer to a sportsman class crawler and there are chassis' available to get it even closer. Works for me.
don't really care about comps
TN-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #55
RCC Addict

I never said anything about comps. My reference to a sportsman class crawler was speaking strictly of capability. The Capra is more capable as a crawler than a Bomber is, period. Putting a Capra on 2.2"s can increase that margin even more as long as you don't build a monster truck out of it. What I'm getting at is that you shouldn't rule the Capra out based on tire size, especially since it will run circles around many (most?) 2.2" cars even on 1.9"s. If 1.9"s aren't doing it for you, run 2.2"s on it.

Sure, the Bomber handles jumps and higher speed better, but no part of "a very cool course with hard natural stuff" alluded to anything that would put the Bomber at an advantage.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber or Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Capra JatoTheRipper Axial Capra 284 06-03-2021 07:47 AM
PRE-ORDER NOW the NEW Axial Racing Capra 1.9 Unlimited Trail Buggy Builders Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-12-2019 10:43 AM
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM