Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 (Project Class Two Cherokee trail rig)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCX10 (Project Class Two Cherokee trail rig)

Well I know enough of you have done build threads and I won't bore you again with all that. I'm doing this rig to be like they type of rigs I grew up in, with, and around. I want this to really have that MUD RAT feel. The type of rig that has a beat body, a $20.00 paint job, but with about 20G's in the motor/driveline. All go no show.

Castle Sidewinder
Holmes 35t Torquemaster
Hand Brothers chassis mounted servo
3Racing winch
Proline W bumpers
Proline Sliders

I have added some proline scale accessories

I've also made fender wells from some cheapo rubbermaid lunch containers

I have lots of future plans and details I would like incorperate into this build. As you can see this rig will be NO shelf queen.

My current project is adding lighting. I'm still trying to decide if I want to add a roof (No plans for a roof rack) and a a working light bar. Thinking about using delring to make a roof and adding a litle tube work to protect the light bar. I know the look I want but where I'm living at the moment I cannot do any brazing.

I'm still trying to work out a final layout of the battery and other electronics I would really like to move the battery to the front and other electronics to a sealed box on the rear stock battery mount. I'm really thinking of making a delrin battery tray for the front. I'm waiting to do this until I have the lighting done so I can clean up the rats nest of wiring I currently have and make things nice and tidy.

Future projects will include bullet proofing the drive line. I already have some stuff in the mail for that project.

Shocks and maybe a dinky link.

Last edited by WarTrader; 04-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

Nice build
JdRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm digging the fender wells!
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdRn View Post
Nice build
ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Thanks, great thing is the grocery store has tons of them four under 4 bucks lol
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

sweet build i love the colors! dang gets some pics of it bumper deep in the mud like a good ole' mud truck always is
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

thanks,

I hate to but, it's going up for sale in the classifieds
Old 07-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Cool looking build. I had the same body on my SCX10 and cut the wheelwells up like you did but it always bugged me. Since then I put the Proline chevy blazer body on it and had someone make me some links what would fit the sheel base. It looks a little more scale with the wheelwells intact.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

cool im looking forward to starting my scale build. bummer your selling it tho. Looks good
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Cool looking build. I had the same body on my SCX10 and cut the wheelwells up like you did but it always bugged me. Since then I put the Proline chevy blazer body on it and had someone make me some links what would fit the sheel base. It looks a little more scale with the wheelwells intact.

Well I was really drawn about cutting the wheel wells like that. But considering the direction I was going in MUD RAT. Just taking and cutting up the fenders be the solution to big tires.

I hate that I'm selling it too but I'm having more fun with my short course truck I kept finding my self trying to pull more speed out of my scaler soo I just bit the bullet and went in that direction I just cannot afford to do both soo ...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Cool, simple rig. Great idea for the wheel wells.
crawler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Sweet rig! It definitly has the feel of a serious no nonsense wheeler.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Yea, those are nice. How are they mounted, just screwed to the frame rails?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

awesome truck, fenderwells are great
leftcoastminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Yea, those are nice. How are they mounted, just screwed to the frame rails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastminis View Post
awesome truck, fenderwells are great

Thanks, I unscrewed the upper shocks, then screw the fenderwells between them and then added another screw to one of the other shock mounts on the upper loop
Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well I decided I like her too much to part with. Soo I decided to start working on the rig as a long term project.

I've been busy with a lot lately and haven't had wrench time. During my down time I did some thinking and came up with some changes. First I installed the new chromoloy trans out drives, and the MIP driveshafts. I also finally got the aluminum servo arm installed.

The last trail run I went on I was having a lot of problems with weight distribution. I I have the front wheels weighted but the spare in the back really threw the weight balance off. I decided that I needed to move the battery to the front to help offset the weight. The Hand Brothers chassis mounted servo kit throws a few bugs into using the stock front battery location setup. I used this template made by Offroader5 Perfect Lil Spot For A Shelf... for a battery shelf. I'd really like to thank Offroader5 for posting the template really saved me some time.

To add more weight and to help stiffen up the front I used some 3/8" delrin.

While I was at it I wasn't happy at how much movement I got in the front bumper/crossmember mount when I used the winch. I decided to make a crossmember from 3/8" delrin.

I used a spacer to tied the two together and pull the front end tight I opend the bottom hole a little just enough to get a nut deep enough to grab the bolt that ties the two together. I heated the nut a little to set it into the delrin deep enough so that the bottom of the crossmember is nice and smooth.

Well on to the rear of the rig. I'm going to be moving a lot around there too. I have some ideas I want to get the reciever in a more protected box. I would like to make a stronger mount for the rear bumper.

Looking at the new Axial scaler I may have to get a set of those bumpers? I may just have to make myself some. Need to pick up some more tools before I tackle that though.

Last edited by WarTrader; 09-12-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Well I decided I like her too much to part with.
good deal!

you have already spent the money on it. it doesnt cost anything to keep it.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

Yeah, Tyson chicken makes the best fender wells!! I did the same thing on my scaler. Glad you decided to keep it! Nice build...
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt ellerbee View Post
good deal!

you have already spent the money on it. it doesnt cost anything to keep it.
I'm not really all that far from it really being what I want, and I really do love scalers soo it only made sense. I'm just cutting back on my racing plans and making as much stufff for it myself to save on costs a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXMASHER View Post
Yeah, Tyson chicken makes the best fender wells!! I did the same thing on my scaler. Glad you decided to keep it! Nice build...
Exactly, I may actually make a different set. I'm thinking of doing some lighting and I may put some lights in those fender wells, besides I would like to get them to fit the inside of the body a little tighter. Time will tell
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default More Time on my hands.

I love weekends off I had some more time this morning soo I decided to start on the rear section. I made a Rear shelf that is going to double as a mount for the rear bumper and mounting point for a radio box.

As you can see I again use some real thick Delrin. I think that once I get everything mounted the way I want I'll go back and drill some nice big lightening holes to kill off some of the weight. LOL

I went to radio shack and picked up a nice little project box to use as a electronics box. I want to get the winch control, reciever, and the BEC for the winch inside and away from the water.

Well I dropped my drill and broke the bit I needed to finish soo unless I get over this case of lazy and run down to the hardware store that is prolly it for this week !!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 Ambush (Proj MUD RAT)

It's been almost three years! Project mud rat still lives! It's still mostly stock. I've burned a few steering servos, and the motor is well used. I've been tempted to sell this thing countless times but just about the time I do myself or my daughter get it out and run it a little. This is one of my daughters favorites.

Well since my club, NIRC Northern Illinois Rock Crawler, is going to do more C2 comps and it's obviously not going anywhere I decided to do a little upgrading. I decided I'm going to start by putting a real steering servo in this thing finally Hitec 7955, BEC, BRXL, and a 15 Crawlmaster Pro (my old wraith comp motor). The winch still works but the BEC (why did I have it on there NOOB), and winch controller got into a disagreement and a bunch of melted shrink wrap later, I ordered a winch controller fron Heyok!

The only mods this thing currently has is MIP driveshafts, Hand Brothers CMS kit, Axial 4link axle mount, and some hardened outdrives.

I'm also adding a boat load of eye candy, Bumpers and sliders from RC4wd, and new beadlock rings from MTHead, and ultimately a new XJ body (this one has a lot of life left yet soo...

My goal with this build is to campaign it in the upcomming NIRC series, in the C2 class, beat on it and have fun. I'm not upgrading anything till it is broke! This thing is far from bullet proof, soo I'm going to have to drive it like a 1:1 I'm expecting to get me home LOL. That should make it fun!

I'm just tearing it down and installing the electrics, so no pics just yet. Yeah I know your all really upset I didn't show you another pic of a servo!

Well more of the interesting parts should be coming in throughout the rest of this week. I'm hoping to knock this thing out this weekend. I have two more project hot on it's heels!

I'll get a few pics up in the next few days.

Last edited by WarTrader; 04-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.