Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wild, Tople$$ and in a cage! Project FJ40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Ya, jim that looks awsome. That thing is gonna work really well for you. I have seen those tires in action and they hook up really well.
I cant wait to see that thing destroy the rocks at the next gtg.
Thanks Bikeman! hopefully she will be done soon....

I am Looking for 1/8-1/4" styrene in the Bay Area for interior work. Do I have to just bite the bullet and order it online or does anyone carry that crap??? I tried a few LHS and Michaels...Nada!

Any help would be killer...

JB

Last edited by CruiserHead; 01-05-2010 at 09:09 PM.
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I wanted to show ya'all a picture of the seats i made out of Owens Corning "Pink" Foamular 150 (extruded polystyrene). Now painted black....

Bought it at Home Depot on Capitol Expressway and 87 for $11 for a 4x8' sheet(for those in the bay area). Its just too thick to make the rest of my components out of. This stuff glues and sands easy as heck. Use white gorilla glue on areas that need sanding and hot glue when bonding 2 pieces together that wont need more sanding. I recommend using it to make your own custom seats. Possibilities are endless if you think about it...

Here's hoping for the PSR (Pink Seat Revolution) to start! Down with the Recaro cell phone holder seats....

If you make some custom seats, shoot me a linky!

JB
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

That is looking good. Nice job on the tube work. I like how you caged in the back. Those seats look really good to be made out of foam.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

seats look sweet, are you going to upholster them lol? I'm liking the grab rail?? on what you guys call the drivers side. it's on the wrong side for me, that would be the passenger side.
nitro_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Have you tried rc unlimited? Thets were i get my styrene at, 1/4 inch seems way to thick. It might make it a little top heavy. They should have it at rc unlmtd. they just rearanged everything.

Seats look good. I use that foam for all kinds of stuff, like forming boat hulls. never thought about using it for interiors.I bet it is light weight. You could almost make a dash out of it to.

Trucks lookin good man.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Have you tried rc unlimited? Thets were i get my styrene at, 1/4 inch seems way to thick. It might make it a little top heavy. They should have it at rc unlmtd. they just rearanged everything.

Seats look good. I use that foam for all kinds of stuff, like forming boat hulls. never thought about using it for interiors.I bet it is light weight. You could almost make a dash out of it to.

Trucks lookin good man.
I did try RC Unlimited, but it was a while ago. They didn't have any, I'll try again. I was thinking that the 1/8 would be good but i need some 1/4 for a few things here and there....AND YES, I made a rough outline of a dash with the 1/2" and I think i can make something work. Thanks Bikeman!

Quote:
seats look sweet, are you going to upholster them lol? I'm liking the grab rail?? on what you guys call the drivers side. it's on the wrong side for me, that would be the passenger side.
Thanks! I painted them black and was thinking about adding a little bit of dark blue. I do not have the talent to try and make real material interior seats. If you look again, you will see that there are grab handles on both sides of the cage!!

Quote:
That is looking good. Nice job on the tube work. I like how you caged in the back. Those seats look really good to be made out of foam.
Thank you, I appreciate the remarks. School is back to kick my butt but I am shooting to get some time into the rig Fri-Sun. I am really looking forward to seeing how your rig progresses.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

dark blue with black inserts will look good. I did look again, my bad didn't see both. do you have a idea as to what colour the cage is going to be?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star View Post
dark blue with black inserts will look good. I did look again, my bad didn't see both. do you have a idea as to what colour the cage is going to be?
It's already painted black. If you go back to the first page you will see some pictures of it painted. I am going to leave it that color for now...Wish I had the cash to get it powder coated!!! lol

JB
Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
It's already painted black. If you go back to the first page you will see some pictures of it painted. I am going to leave it that color for now...Wish I had the cash to get it powder coated!!! lol

JB
OMG, I'm having a shocker. well at least it's Friday now so i have an excuse. i did see those pics of the cage, i must have been having one of those days.:?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Here's a small update on the progress of the rig....

I completely removed the shock hoops and relocated the shocks so they would not be right in the middle of my rear deck. I have got the flooring laid and cut to size, now I have to cut out and build the wheel wells for realism. I am using clear polyester and styrene for this section. The front floor will be mostly the PINK foam and a little styrene to hid the spur gear.

Do most of you that build cages narrow the cage down instead of keep it wide like I did???:? The way I built mine, the wheel wells would look way gigantic if I were to build it to cover from the edge of the bed to the hoops. Hmmm?

Here's some pics.....The flooring is scratch sanded to hold the paint later. The tail gate is not finished but works very smooth. I am going to build up the inside and add contours for realism...

I picked out a driver (some wrestling dude) and cut his hair off and put some pants on him that I found while Crawling at Vasona....I figured they would come in handy some day. They fit pretty good too!!! Now I need to steal a shirt from one of my daughters dolls....

Tippit the dog is going to love wheeling with the fam...He fits in the back perfectly with his head hanging over the rails(not pictured)...

I'll update tonight after I finish the wells and hopefully the seats....I don't know how many Honey-do's the woman is going to inflict on me later...

Thanks for looking

JB
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
I joined the Band!

Looking good Jim! Your going to have to build me a tuber cage for my FJ as well Looks like your a pro at building tubers now! That looks great!
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Looks good! I think that the wheel wells will look good it you keep them small. Make them barely clear the tires when fully stuffed. Plus body rub adds scale realism.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Looking good Jim! Your going to have to build me a tuber cage for my FJ as well Looks like your a pro at building tubers now! That looks great!
Thank Grim. It's taken me long enough though to get where I am on this build. Almost like I hit a wall though when I had to think about all the interior details I wanted to do. I appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman
Looks good! I think that the wheel wells will look good it you keep them small. Make them barely clear the tires when fully stuffed. Plus body rub adds scale realism.
Thanks Bikeman...The wheel wells are basically set in concrete(or steel rod if you will) and that will remain the same. I should get a little but of rub near full articulation. Since I changed the shock mount location, I now have to re-lengthen the bottom links a tad so the wheels crash down in the center of the wells. It will also bring the ride height back down to where it should be. Also, the built-up wells on the rear Tub are a little longer than stock 1:1 because of the layout of the beds cage....

Stay tuned. I worked to long last night and didn't have time to post the pics of the Tub with wells.

JB
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I am getting ready to do final filing and sanding on the tub. Here's kinda the order of how I built it, in pictures.

Cut and sanded wells, ready for assembly...

Measured and cut the openings for the wheel wells....

Glued the pieces together. Primary glue was CA, then I glued the seems with Plastic Glue after the CA dried for extra strength.

Fit everything back in the rig...

Finished the tail gate and if you look closely, I closed off the ends of the wheel wells even though most of it will be covered with the body. I am going to most likely file the protruding base so it is flush with the deck...Not sure if I am keeping that design of the tailgate yet. What do you think? I am torn on whether or not to redesign it....

Bonus pic! This is how I got around the shock hoops that would have been right in the middle of my deck....Shocks seem to work great in this orientation. Gonna lengthen the bottom links a tad though to lower the ride height and bring the wheels to center of the well...

Thanks for looking and all the helpful comments..

JB

Last edited by CruiserHead; 01-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

The way you were describing the wheel wells, i thought they were gonna be massive. I think they look good. Good call on moving the shocks to. cant wait to see it in action!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I painted the bed up and installed it for good. I didn't like the way the tail gate looked so I pulled the foam crap off and painted the inside flat black. Sooner or later I am going to make a new one on the CNC machine at school that has "Toyota" machined into it.

I'll post pictures in a few days that show the painted gate and the installed lights in the front and back. She is running as of now but I still need to finish the front interior and the dash...My DX6i decided to break on me for no f'ing reason tonight. I have to take it apart and see if i can fix it.

Later!

JB
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I finished my lights and installed some scale items for effect. My interior installation is taking a long time because I am having a hard time visualizing how to cover the tranny for the best look...

Here's some updated pics...

I told the brainless bicep to get the jack out-the-back and prop the front up so I could do some wiring.....He said we don't need no stinkin' jack!

Dipsh*t took my Cruiser for a spin in the back 40 and ran through some mud. Actually, I am landscaping the backyard and installing a Dry Creek. My 20x35' lawn is now a mud pit! Those RokLox load up real fast!

Tippit chilling in his natural habitat....An FJ40! Freshly installed scale thingy's 50% off courtesy of Hobby Town that went out of business in SJ. Sucks!!! The employees actually knew wtf they were talking about at that store. Sorry to see that one go...

What do you all think of my Woofer Box/ESC cover?(No, not the dog).

Brainless Bicep was stoked that the wiring he helped get installed was in working order....

With flash...

Some more flexing...This time not by Brainless Bicep!

Should have interior done soon, but don't count on it!!

Thanks for looking..

JB
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

That is looking great. The bed area with all of the scale details is looking really good. That was smart moving the shocks out of the way. I don't think I am going to do much on the rear of mine. I plan on just mounting the spare and letting the tube work show.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
That is looking great. The bed area with all of the scale details is looking really good. That was smart moving the shocks out of the way. I don't think I am going to do much on the rear of mine. I plan on just mounting the spare and letting the tube work show.
Thanks Keith!! I love how similar.... and different our rigs are..

Every time I look at the body in the pictures it looks way worse than in person. Maybe I should just break down and get another body....Then hack it to death! ?:

JB

Last edited by CruiserHead; 01-21-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Man, you did a great job on the tube work

One nice looking rig. That should be fun to run around and bash with .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote