Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Has anyone tried this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Default Has anyone tried this?

I did some searching through the forums, and found a really nice black silverado body (proline 2500hd i beleive) mounted on a scx10 and i loved the look of it. (i cant recall who it was, but it was a sick ride!) So I bought it, painted it up, but it didnt look enough like a crawler.

Im planning on chopping the bed and tailgate out , leaving the fleetsides on and dovetailing the back end and making a rollcage. I've seen plenty of builds with yota hardbodies with cages and spare tires out back, but I havent really seen any lexan truck bodies with cages etc.

Im in the process of chopping mine, and ill post some pics up once its done
Jbird0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Somewhere (i think in the pic thread) i saw someone took the stock scx body and did just what you are talking about. I don't recall a roll cage, but he left the sides of the bed on and dovetailed it. I'll see if i can find the pic.
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

post some pics
saturnsl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

Made some good progress on the ssilverado tonight; will be posting pics up tomorrow. probobly going to open in new thread
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am doing a build of an FJ40 that sounds kind of like what you are doing. I chopped the top off plus the tail gate and then brazed myself a cage. I will have thin strips of these magnets i have that cut with scissors to stick the flapping sides to the cage in the correct orientation(Not installed yet though).

Here's the link to my rig. Is it close to what you seek?

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #6

yea thanks for the link thats exactly what ive been looking for. man that cage looks awesome, mines not quite as big, but wow it really looks clean once its painted! i did mine up with 3/16" solid rod and a mig welder, after some sanding and grinding the lumpy welds will look sleek and clean (im not really familiar with brazing)
Old 01-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #7

started this in a new thread, with some pictures
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird0007 View Post
yea thanks for the link thats exactly what ive been looking for. man that cage looks awesome, mines not quite as big, but wow it really looks clean once its painted! i did mine up with 3/16" solid rod and a mig welder, after some sanding and grinding the lumpy welds will look sleek and clean (im not really familiar with brazing)
I am always amazed at how much nicer a cage looks with a little paint slathered over it! I also used the 3/16 solid rod but used the Harris 56 and safety Silv...

Your truck looks cool....That was faster than greasey pooh through an elephant with the runs!

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote