Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 QC Issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #1

Question SCX10 QC Issues?

Evening all, just picked up my SCX10 yesterday after buying a wraith and was fairly impressed with the out of box setup & build quality on that so I decided to go ahead with a SCX10 as well.

The issues I'm having are these, when I first opened the SCX10 I noticed something "off" with the tires they have a pale greyish almost white tinting to them the only other time I've seen this is when rubber starts to get old & break down like some of the gas masks & other military surplus and for lack of better description they sparkle, nothing like my Wraith two Crawler Kings or SavageX 4.6 all of those tires were/are a nice deep black with no sparkle is this normal?

The second issue I have with the SCX10 is my rear wheels wobble like an out of balance bike tire I've already tried wiping the tires down to no avail and as far as I can tell the rears are solidly mounted with little to no detectable play I'd appreciate any input.
JebusKrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #2

The grey tires is a releasing agent used when they mold the tires. If it bothers you get some silicone spray and put on them. My Tires on my wraith wobbled as well. I pulled the tires of and loosened the set screw in the hexes and then retightened it took most of the wobble out. One other thing you will probably see is leaking shocks. That too will go away they are a little over filled from the factory. Oh and one more thing is the esc will most likely fall off the first time you run the truck because apparently Axial can't afford good 2 sided tape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Mempgis2857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Default Re: SCX10 QC Issues?

I haven't tried taking the tires off yet but sounds as good a solution as any, I already attempted to Armor-All them which didn't do anything. Axial did me one better with their inferior double sided tape, both the ESC & power switch were just rattling around right out of the box soon to be replaced with some 3M at 10lbs per square inch holding capacity!
JebusKrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't silicone them, you'll make them worthless in the grip department. Silicone is slick and for detailing plastics, not good on tires. Simple green should clean them up pretty well and usually makes them more tacky to the touch. Tires can be balanced if you need to, but it's a crawler. I wouldn't worry about it.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

I've been experiencing the same issues. Also had mine out of the box 20 minutes and am having some front diff issues.
Crawler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Also experiencing a stuttering/chattering. The whole truck shakes and stutters. Both me and my lhs have had the axles apart and found nothing wrong. My next guess is the tranny/t-case but my lhs won't help me out as far as replacing/warrenty. Anyone else having these problems with the new rtr?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #7

yep, same issue with the rattling and wobbling on the differentials. my theory is it might be the "teeth" on the gears are still sharp and not yet "broken in" thus the rough chatter on the wheel rotation. try lifting it and run ono full speed if the chatter and wobble goes away.
koyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My tyre wobble turned out to be a creased foam, a strip and rebuild fixed those, and greasing everything up seemed to sort the snatching, I think it was new gears bedding themselves in.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Don't silicone them, you'll make them worthless in the grip department. Silicone is slick and for detailing plastics, not good on tires. Simple green should clean them up pretty well and usually makes them more tacky to the touch. Tires can be balanced if you need to, but it's a crawler. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the Simple Green tip. Sure makes it easier (and cheaper) to grab some from the cleaning closet rather than buying traction compound.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Fuss a$$'s, why dont you guys take your trucks off the shelf and use them. Funny thing is, after they are covered with mud and used a bit, your tires will look much better, an dmaybe if you drive it hard enough your wheels/tires won't wobble so much!!!! SSSSSOOOOO stop looking at it and get out and drive it!!!!

This is also a very good reason to buy kits instead of rtr's. If you would have put the kit together you may not have all the problems your having.

Last edited by allgm1; 06-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Some of us got them when the kits wern't available or got them used, so a strip and rebuild/ degrease is always a good idea.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Try driving it more. Shocks leak, gears settle, grease warms up.... Drive the damn truck.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Check your driveshaft halves have been lined up properly, (beef them up with 6mm bar too) there should be a little arrow at each end that you align when you put them together, other than this and a good grease up, give it a couple of packs to settle it all in.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #14

simple green cleans tires well
Toyoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #15

Well i've had my entire truck in pieces and found nothing abnormal at all, besides 3 or 4 teeth slightly stripped on my spur gear. Which is what i'm guessing is causing the jittering/shaking upon acceleration. Even though the damage looks minmal. My lhs is closed tomorrow so monday i'll pick up a new gear and see how it goes.

Tags
decay, wobble

SCX10 QC Issues? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 reverse/forward speed issues. pike2350 Electronics 11 02-21-2012 10:04 AM
Scx10 issues Huntweiss Axial SCX-10 4 12-28-2010 11:28 AM
Will SCX10 Honcho Kit Parts Fit on Older SCX10? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-23-2009 03:56 PM
a few issues on my new scx10 rulowenough03 Axial SCX-10 22 06-24-2009 01:14 PM