Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Greg's SCX10 TR Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Greg's SCX10 TR Honcho

I splurged a bit today, and bought a Honcho!

It's all stock, but in case you've been under a rock lately, here's a few pics:

I have a few plans that shouldn't take long or be hard. I'm planning on throwing a Spektrum radio, and a Waterproof XL-5 ESC in it. I want to change up the links, and will probably end up making a few.

For long-term plans, I want a 3Racing winch, Roc-Loxs, 45t Motor, Tacoma Grill/Decals, and whatever else happens to catch my eye...

I'll update soon
-Greg
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I reworked the rear suspension. For lowers, I used a pair of Axial links I had laying around. I'm not entirely into the blue, so they might see some oven cleaner soon...

I used a 4 link truss that came with the TR kit. It's plastic, but it works. I had to use some hardware I had to bolt it all together, but I'm pleased with the truss.

I used Tamiya TLT links as my uppers. They were the only thing I had that was long enough, and since I don't have any supplies to make links, they'll suffice for now.

I might eventually shave the 2 posts off the rear axle, but I'll let em ride for now, and save shaving them for a rainy day

Now, I'll be making my way forward on the chassis (Motor/Trans area), so stay tuned
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
I might eventually shave the 2 posts off the rear axle, but I'll let em ride for now, and save shaving them for a rainy day
They look much better when shaved .......I'm just sayin
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801RYAN View Post
They look much better when shaved .......I'm just sayin
I agree, and I'll probably do it before long, though it's not on the top of my list...

Anyways, update:
I removed the Axial sticker from the motor, I was tired of looking at the color... I put a Holmes Hobbies sprocket sticker I've been kicking around for a while on it, and cut out the holes. Turned out pretty neat looking (better than stock at least...). I hate colors, and I'm a bit of a label whore, so this will do me untill I can get a 45t...

I have the electronics out of it so that I can work on the front suspension. I added bent TCS lowers that I shortened to the front. They're black, so I'm about to change the rear to an unshortened set of the same link as well, so expect another update soon.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Front links installed, and I threw on matching rear links... at least I don't have to get rid of the blue now...

I'll be working on the electronics next...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I reworked the steering. There's an Axial link in there, and a bunch of spacers, with Axial ends. And the drag link is a piece of all-thread with Revo ends and an aluminum sleeve over it... nice look, hella better than the plastic TR links, but now I'm back to needing to get rid of the blue...

expect another update tomorrow
Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I mounted the battery. I used the stock plate, I just cut it. I shortened 2 of the plastic spacers, and spaced the battery plate so that it just barely rides above the RX box. The nice thing is, I am still able to use my 6 cell packs from my "comp" rig, and the stock battery strap...

I also threw the lights back in

All I have left to do is to mount the ESC, and finish the wiring. Then I'll need to program the radio and detail the body a bit. I'll then be at a standstill untill I get more parts, but at least I'll be able to run it in the mean time...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
I'll be working on the electronics next...
So what does that mean...a Hitec sticker on the servo and Mamba Max on the ESC? ;)

Sorry...just busting you a little, but I though it was funny!

I just orderd a RTR, but now I see that I'll be making / replacing some of the links. I'm mainly concerned about the steering links.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Does the RTR come with the extra light holders, etc?
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
So what does that mean...a Hitec sticker on the servo and Mamba Max on the ESC? ;)

I just orderd a RTR, but now I see that I'll be making / replacing some of the links. I'm mainly concerned about the steering links.
Don't tempt me...

The TR steering links are horrible... plastic links with WAY too much flex...

Quote:
Does the RTR come with the extra light holders, etc?
It came with extra light buckets, lenses, and retainer clips... basically everything but LED's and power...

I skipped ahead of my "plan", and "detailed" the body a bit... I basically added a couple stickers... yeah, not much for details...

And I took off the lousy Axial sticker on the hood...

I've gotta mount and wire in the ESC... and program the radio
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I got the ESC mounted, and wired up. I'm using an XL-5 ESC, mostly because it's waterproof. I painted the case black, and blacked out the wires...

I'm done untill I get more parts... I'm gonna go run it now...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I've ran this a few times, and I must say it's the most fun I've ever had with an RC! It's almost 100% waterproof, and I know that'll open up even more doors...

I've added PIAA light covers, a Pro-Line winch (I added a Warn sticker, and sharpied the Pro-Line logo...), and a few stickers to the body. Please excuse the mud... I was havin fun

I didn't go for a working winch (of any sort) on this rig because of one reason: I want it to be waterproof... So the Pro-Line cheapie will do, plus, I just wanted something to fill that big gaping hole.

I'm working on inner fender wells as we speak. I'll be using old DVD cases, I'll be sure to post pics of how it turns out...

Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

looking good!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

looking sweet!! i like the color of this taco, does the rtr come this color?
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Every time I click into one of these Honcho threads I get a little tingle...looks good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeski View Post
looking sweet!! i like the color of this taco, does the rtr come this color?
I believe this is the RTR.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
I believe this is the RTR.
Yes, I bought the Trail Ready (TR), and it came completely RTR, except for batteries and a charger...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Workin on the fender wells. It took me a while to get the pieces cut right. I took my time so that they'd lay flat against the inside of the chassis rails. I'm still unsure of how I am going to do the "arch"... I don't think that the plastic from a DVD case will keep it's bend correctly, so I might just brace this up and call er done for tonight...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I braced it... calling it quits for tonight

Old 06-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Update:

I removed the blue from the steering link...

And shaved the rear axle...

My "brace" for the fender wells fell out, so I'm probably not going to finish them completely... yet

I'm already looking at different bodies, but am waiting to see what I do in the world of 1:1's. I'm after a wheeling rig, and I'll probably wait so that I can do up this truck to match whatever 1:1 I eventually get...

I still plan on detailing the wheel nut covers... If I can find some dang model paint!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:

yea get rid of the plastic links and reciever and i run a 12 pinion with a 6 cell nimh but plan on runnin a 7 cell hump nihm
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote