Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SXC10 Build w/o Electronics, Then Add Later?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Chachi, get the HH ESC and be done with it. It's made by castle and backed by John, what more can you want. It's a beast, and I do not recommend brushless for a scaler since you will went to get it wet and muddy. Holmes has some his selling pretty cheap that he messed up the epoxy waterproofing on, you could just put it in a balloon. The goat system is outdated and not the great for anything. I have a tekin FXR which is nice but I still prefer Castle hands down. The FXR is still too limited for me.

Brushless work just fine in water. I have completely submerged the brushless ESC and motor in my Honcho and it still runs just fine. As for using a Mamba or Sidewinder setup you have to get the gearing just perfect or it will cog everytime.

Here are some pics of mine sumbmerged.

t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Join the ranks of us that take a month or more for a build.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
Brushless work just fine in water. I have completely submerged the brushless ESC and motor in my Honcho and it still runs just fine. As for using a Mamba or Sidewinder setup you have to get the gearing just perfect or it will cog everytime.

Here are some pics of mine sumbmerged.
You are running a VXL and complaining of a Sidewinder or Mamba cogging?

I can guarantee from experience the Mambas and Sidewinders are 1k times smoother than a VXL period. The start up algorithms and back EMF detection of castle products are far superior to the Chinese made VXL system. The firmware is far superior as well.

As is I would not run an expensive motor under water period as you still have other things to contend with and you should read the Traxxas manual closer about running in water as well.

My suggestion is use a cheap motor with the Holmes ESC. Cheap motors are 10 dollars a pop so who cares if they fry. Brushless motors not so.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You are running a VXL and complaining of a Sidewinder or Mamba cogging?

I can guarantee from experience the Mambas and Sidewinders are 1k times smoother than a VXL period. The start up algorithms and back EMF detection of castle products are far superior to the Chinese made VXL system. The firmware is far superior as well.

As is I would not run an expensive motor under water period as you still have other things to contend with and you should read the Traxxas manual closer about running in water as well.

My suggestion is use a cheap motor with the Holmes ESC. Cheap motors are 10 dollars a pop so who cares if they fry. Brushless motors not so.

LMAO..... I never said I was running a VXL setup, maybe you should read all the posts in the thread. I am running a Speed Passion Cirtix Rhino Brushless rock crawler setup, it cost me under $100 for the setup. In all of my other RC's I only run Castle products. Now if Castle made a rock crawler setup then I would be running it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Well, I think I am going to roll with the Goat 3s for now since I have it already, and see how it does. Worse case scenario, if something happens to it, then it is just an excuse to upgrade! Sometimes that is a good problem to have, right?
Chachi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi_RC View Post
Well, I think I am going to roll with the Goat 3s for now since I have it already, and see how it does. Worse case scenario, if something happens to it, then it is just an excuse to upgrade! Sometimes that is a good problem to have, right?
One of the cool things about this hobby is you can build/use whatever you want. It is always a good idea to do research and get advice from experienced people. With that being said I will give you some of mine.

I have tried several different ESC and motor combos, including brushless. After spending a lot of money and a lot of frustration I will only run a HH torque master BR-XL and brushed motors.

I know that brushless is the way to go in the go fast world. All of my go fasts are brushless. In my experience brushless doesn't work very well for very long in scalers. They see to much water especially where we live. Unless the motor is sealed water will mess it up maybe not the first time but eventually.

Novak makes good stuff, they are a little far behind in my opinion though when it comes to being able to tune your ESC to your driving style.

I wasn't going to respond when I saw your post saying you got a brushless setup, but I figured I would because if I would of known even half of what I know now I wouldn't have wasted so much money.

If you really want to try the brushless set up then I say go for it. (just remember when I see your stuff quite working at a comp I will say I told ya so ).
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Damn! I feel like a girl picking out a wedding dress! I just can't decide! I hear you cave-man on the BL side of things, and being that I come from the "go-fast" side of RC, my brain is telling me to go brushless all the way. But your thought process does make sense too.....dammit! Well, I have time. I am building the chassis, and will decide as that goes on with what I want to do.

1) Keep the Goat.
2) Tekin FXR and brushed.
3) HH TorqueMaster and brushed.
4) Speed Passion BL Crawler Combo

I got me some thinking to do!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9dragon View Post
LMAO..... I never said I was running a VXL setup, maybe you should read all the posts in the thread. I am running a Speed Passion Cirtix Rhino Brushless rock crawler setup, it cost me under $100 for the setup. In all of my other RC's I only run Castle products. Now if Castle made a rock crawler setup then I would be running it.
Yeah you're right, castle doesn't make any ESC's that work for crawling.

Someone forgot to tell all of us Using MM Pro's in our comp crawlers then huh?

Besides lost count how many people use sidewinders in crawlers, not to mention the fact the the Holmes Torquemaster is made by Castle. Never mind the fact of how many people are winning comps with that controller in 2.2 and super class.

Ever wonder why the Holmes ESC uses Castle Link, and why it carries the exact same 1 year warranty as Castle products do?

and you think a speed passion is smoother than a CC controller.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah you're right, castle doesn't make any ESC's that work for crawling.

Someone forgot to tell all of us Using MM Pro's in our comp crawlers then huh?

Besides lost count how many people use sidewinders in crawlers, not to mention the fact the the Holmes Torquemaster is made by Castle. Never mind the fact of how many people are winning comps with that controller in 2.2 and super class.

Ever wonder why the Holmes ESC uses Castle Link, and why it carries the exact same 1 year warranty as Castle products do?

and you think a speed passion is smoother than a CC controller.
To each his own.............
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Well, I am now quite a few hours into the build and have loved every minute of it. It is most of the way complete, less a motor and esc, and the body being complete. It has been a long time since I have built a kit, and I forgot how fun it is. I am glad that this forum is here because I have used it through the build process. There were a couple of mistakes in the manual that threw me off for a little bit, but after a quick forum search (yes, an actual forum search!) I found the answers that I needed. Thank you all for your help! Once I get it completed, I'll be sure to post some pictures for you all.

One question that I do have is about the wheels. I have seen some guys Honchos with black stock wheels. I am wanting to do this, and I wondering if you have any tips. What kind of paint? Should I scuff them up a bit first? Any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did another search (amazing, right?) and I found a thread about painting the stock wheels. I should be good to go today! Thanks!
Paint stock wheels

Last edited by Chachi_RC; 09-19-2010 at 11:44 AM.