Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drive shaft ring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Drive shaft ring?

The instructions state the drive shaft ring as an upgrade part but do not specify where exactly and how to mount it!

Does anyone have a picture of them installed?

I assume they are for the drive shafts (hence the name ) but can't seem to figure out how they would be mounted and how many I should order!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Search comes up with many different threads with many pages not related to my question or any pics of this part installed :(

mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
The instructions state the drive shaft ring as an upgrade part but do not specify where exactly and how to mount it!

Does anyone have a picture of them installed?

I assume they are for the drive shafts (hence the name ) but can't seem to figure out how they would be mounted and how many I should order!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Search comes up with many different threads with many pages not related to my question or any pics of this part installed :(

You need two sets to do both front and rear driveshafts, you can see them on the shafts in my build here:

Natedog's Honcho kit build

They press fit over the driveshaftes before assembly and then a small setscrew holds them in place. Always use a dab of blue Loctite on screws that thread into metal.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-11-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

They are designed to slide onto the plastic part of the tail shaft and be pushed right up to the 'ears' to stop them from spreading under load and popping apart.

Dodgy phone pic:
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you need more pics, you can view my Honcho album...click here
There are a couple more pics that inadvertently shows the ring if you want to browse.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks all.

Appreciate the assistance
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sorry guys just want to slip another one in here

Other option parts are the Scorpion motor plate, transmission spacer and three additional spacers. In what way are the spacers considered as an upgrade part?

Do they allow for a more even/precise fit of the gearbox to the motor mount? Are the standard parts really that bad? or is it just a bling upgrade?

Is the scorpion motor mount worth it or just for bling again? I assume it has fins machined into it to aid with cooling, but does it really disipate that much heat that would warrant getting one?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

IMO the drive shaft rings are a waste of money, they only "band-aid" the problem. you'll still end up tearing the ears of the drive shafts. and the motor plate is a waste too, why not just save the $$ for MIP or jun-fac all metal drive shafts that yoo will never break unless you put them in your 1:1, and maybe alum. C-hubs and kuncles?? some stuff that will accualy make your rig more durable.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Keep in mind, most of the "option" parts are like add-ons at a 1:1 car dealer. Do you really need the paint sealant? No. Do you need the chrome wheel well trim? No. Some "option" parts are just an option for you to spend additional money. My philosophy is upgrade what most people agree are weak parts as your money will allow. I chose to upgrade the transmission gears to Robinson Racing, under-drive gears in rear axle, and add the Axial drive-shaft rings. I am using the stock drive-shafts as the weak link. If they break, you are not as much money compared to a gear, or axle. Band-aid maybe; I call it calculated risk. (I may change my mind once I break one though.)

I would suggest finish the build (if you have the kit), then upgrade/replace parts as you break something, or upgrade according to your use/needs/wants.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your opinions

Others care to add there's?