Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Bills New Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Well this is going to have lots of shots of my final bits added. After many weeks of waiting my Junfac aluminum skid plates arrived in the post today so have just got them fitted. Its time for this to stop being a prissy little shelf queen and get out and get scratched up me thinks, no excuses now.

northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Almost too pretty now, better get out and get some rash on that thing.

Do you have any clearance issues with the beadlocks on that way?

Why did the G-Made shocks not work out? I was looking at those as an alternate to my stock shocks but won't waste my money if they don't work.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build! I like those skids but the diff skids seem like they would cause you to get hung up pretty easily - I'm anxious to see how they do on the trails.

I will definitely be stealing some of these ideas for mine. Bumpers are a must!

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Am still playing with g-made shocks. Set to droop they kinda bottom out under the rigs weight so theres very little actual normal suspension so its a bit bobbly to watch (if that makes sense).

Then when set to full travel I found the ride height of the shell (not the chassis) to be too much. When I used the mount adapters upside down to remove some of the gained ride height, I had to then raise the shell to clear the rear shocks.

So I think with them set to full height, with adapters and then 2 small slots in the rear bed near the clip holes to accept the tops of the shocks it would sit right, look right and act right. I just don't want to commit to cutting the bed until am sure

Didn't understand the headlock question though?

I've got lots of shiny shots, now for some action shots agreed.

Fink yeh your right the axle skids may cause drag but its only 3-4mm difference and the alloy skids on R1 work great super slippy
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Fink yeh your right the axle skids may cause drag but its only 3-4mm difference and the alloy skids on R1 work great super slippy
I'm more interested with the sharp angles they have, and how they extend (what appears) pretty far past the sides of the diff.

We won't know until you get it out there and hit the dirt!

Fink
Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
RCC Addict

The beadlock rings are on backwards from most builds. I thought I had read that the bigger ring would hit the knuckles.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The beadlock rings are on backwards from most builds. I thought I had read that the bigger ring would hit the knuckles.
ROTFL OMG I am so thick!!!!!!!!!!!! I took them apart straight out the box to weight them up and slung em back together WELL SPOTTED.

I've just sat here looking for the difference, like thinking Big Ones whats he on about but then the penny dropped, cheers mate I'll sort that now I guess

Fink heres a shot of my R1 with the same brand sliders on.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
RCC Addict

If they clear and there aren't any other issues I'd leave them because they definitely look better that way. I thought about switching mine around but I really don't want to take my wheels apart anymore than I have to. Besides I think Santa is bringing me a set of aluminum wheels so I will have a whole new look going on.

Nice R1, I've always liked those.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the pic! If possible, you should take some video of the Honcho in action when she's ready.

Fink
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I'll have her out for a blat this weekend mate, with video toouooo.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If they clear and there aren't any other issues I'd leave them because they definitely look better that way. I thought about switching mine around but I really don't want to take my wheels apart anymore than I have to. Besides I think Santa is bringing me a set of aluminum wheels so I will have a whole new look going on...
Yes, do as you like with the beadlock rings they should self clearance against the stock knuckles if they rub. You can always file down the spots on the rings where and if they rub against the knuckles.

I'd run without the skids on the Honcho, they take up precious ground clearance and will tend to bump against things in their path instead of sliding up and over...imo. Looks great otherwise.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
RCC Addict

STRANGE!!

Took all the wheels off, including the spare and only had 3 (including the spare) of the chunkier beads, and the rest were the slinkier beads??

Luckily I have a second set so just moved what I needed to.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

This is a newb question, so feel free to ignore it, but how did you raise the Dingo bumper up to fit the Honcho body line?

I want the Dingo bumpers on my Honcho, but I'm always curious to see what methods folks are using.

Sweet build for sure - I will definitely be using this as an inspiration for mine!

Fink
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Ok mate no worries thats what this sites for!! This mod works for both bumpers and also removes that flipping flex the bumper has.

1, OK firstly remove the whole bumper assembly including the part that slots into the chassis with the two large holes in it. So now the chassis is open ended.
2, The front battery tray mount is next. Slice off the upright that holds up your battery tray. Then rotate it 90% so it points (if you like) forwards.
3, Fit the spare chassis end blank you'll have.
4, So now your chassis has an end, no bumper and your battery tray is now all floppy.
5, The sliced off upright you can now use again by screwing the long self tapping screw back down it into the rotated part it used be part of.

Have a beer

6, So next offer your bumper up with the original holder slid onto it and basically lay it on top of the 2 chassis cross members (end cap and battery support).
7, You know need to make that plate on the sides I have, this can be plastic, metal this will held onto the chassis using the screws that hold the cross members on.
8, Assuming you've made that plate and also fitted the bumper it will still be floppy and moveable. So now drive 2 self tapping screws down through the grub screw holes into the old battery mount cross member.

Hope that kinda makes a bit of sense, I've tinkered so much with that its hard to explain in every detail. Sorry about the close up pictures focus isn't that good close up.
PS I dropped the body one pin hole too!!
PPS this guy/shop in the uk produces and sells those adapter plates (not the same as mine thats home made). The bumper remain flimsy though unless you put the extra self tapper through the bumper holder bracket vertically.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Radio-Contr...4.l1513&_pgn=1

Last edited by northernerbill; 12-08-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I've been noticing a lot of Dingo bumpers on Honchos lately. When I did mine I hadn't seen very many so I thought I was doing something new, but I think I just didn't notice them before like I do now.
I moved mine up and back too.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the step-by-step Bill - very much appreciated!

Fink
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've been noticing a lot of Dingo bumpers on Honchos lately. When I did mine I hadn't seen very many so I thought I was doing something new, but I think I just didn't notice them before like I do now.
I moved mine up and back too.
Yeh I really like the stock bumper, but with dingo one it's got mor clearance set up and back, plus looks more realistic IMHO.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Well met up with Ben and gave the Honcho its first run. I bottled out of using the posh shell (glad I did too) but really wish I'd bought one of these a long time ago its great fun.

And heres a small video of it in action down the beach in Brighton well Hove.
c398feac.mp4 video by Northernerbill - Photobucket
Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Awesome video man! I like how minimalistic it is. I will definitely be using this as an inspiration for mine, as soon as I get around to building it.

Fink
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Nicely done, Bill. Very clean and professional job you've done there. I kinda cringed a bit when she toppled over in your vid. I guess it's gung-ho now that you've got your first bit of road rash.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote