Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Flat Irons on the Trail Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Default Flat Irons on the Trail Honcho

Do these tires perform well on the trail as well as rocks? Any info appreciated!
Philly116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Flat Irons on the Trail Honcho

Not really. They don't have a whole lot of grip.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not true, you obviously havn't used a set to point that they break in. Once they break in they're great. Also try searching. Theres hundreds of threads on this exact subject.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Not true, you obviously havn't used a set to point that they break in. Once they break in they're great. Also try searching. Theres hundreds of threads on this exact subject.
x2

Open up the siping on'em they work pretty good
RksPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

They actually work very well for a kit tire. Compared to many tires, they are very good as far as grip goes. That is when comparing just traction and not the benefit of a larger size tire (clearance). They are very good on the type of rock around here and not bad in mud. I run more muddy trails then rock so I use something different. I used a set (stock kit tires) one day when a newer set of other brand tires were not working too well and they walked all of the obstacles that were frustrating me. I was semi shocked by that. It was in comparison to a type of RC4WD tires that were very popular about a year ago. The Flat Irons have much more side tread and a softer foam and therefore worked better in those conditions that day.

There can be endless tuning options to help any tire work better. Different foam, set ups, venting of tires, weighting, etc. But out of the box on unvented wheels, the Flat Irons work very well. The main thing for changing them is looks or just needing a much different size tire. You will not greatly change performance by changing them.

With that being said, the new(er) PitBulls in 1.9, I have not tried. And I have not heard anything but exceptional about them in any condition. They are close to Flat Iron size (but are larger) but seem to be the best performing (overall) tire in 1.9 size.

The Flat Irons look good and work very well compared to many others so changing them should not be a priority unless size or looks is the most important thing to you.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Once they're broken in they're great, I still have my set when I got my Dingo (now H2) a few years ago. In light-medium mud they're pretty good, and most rocks they seem to grab well enough to let you get up. Also, they still look awesome.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Get them broken in, use enough weight to make them flex, and remove every second small lug on the inside edge and they work as well or better then all but the top-end super-sticky tires.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I never had an issue with mine but I dont comp just play at home
BillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #9

Great input, and guys. Thanks!
Philly116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
They actually work very well for a kit tire. Compared to many tires, they are very good as far as grip goes. That is when comparing just traction and not the benefit of a larger size tire (clearance). They are very good on the type of rock around here and not bad in mud. I run more muddy trails then rock so I use something different. I used a set (stock kit tires) one day when a newer set of other brand tires were not working too well and they walked all of the obstacles that were frustrating me. I was semi shocked by that. It was in comparison to a type of RC4WD tires that were very popular about a year ago. The Flat Irons have much more side tread and a softer foam and therefore worked better in those conditions that day.

There can be endless tuning options to help any tire work better. Different foam, set ups, venting of tires, weighting, etc. But out of the box on unvented wheels, the Flat Irons work very well. The main thing for changing them is looks or just needing a much different size tire. You will not greatly change performance by changing them.

With that being said, the new(er) PitBulls in 1.9, I have not tried. And I have not heard anything but exceptional about them in any condition. They are close to Flat Iron size (but are larger) but seem to be the best performing (overall) tire in 1.9 size.

The Flat Irons look good and work very well compared to many others so changing them should not be a priority unless size or looks is the most important thing to you.
Yes, I've got mine all cut up and they work very well. Out of the box they work better than most after break-in. Check my Honcho build thread for how I cut mine up. Also user 66Sprint6 has some really good pics of how he cut his.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Flat Irons do pretty well. I had a lot of hours on mine and they held up really good. I had them on the stock beadlocks, wheels vented and 4oz fr and 2oz rr of lead in each.
They'll work..

I upgraded because I wanted a bit larger tire but if I was going to do something that was going to tear up tires I'd throw them back on and be happy.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Flat Irons on the Trail Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reducing 1.9 flat-irons to 1.55 flat-irons: questions for you experts heinie_21 Tires and Wheels 12 02-02-2012 10:47 PM
flat spotted proline flat irons? brianw Newbie General 4 02-12-2010 12:50 PM