Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What system to use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Default What system to use

Just built my dingo now I cant decide between a vxl system or a new 4 pole castle sidewinder sct system
casper975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have the sct in mine now, I have only tested it out in the yard so far but it seems smooth enough for some slow stuff still. 17/89 gearing 2s

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.918235,-83.809535
BAWLER CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What system to use

I just built my Dingo kit a few days ago, I swapped in the running gear from my Slash

CC Sidewinder ESC w/castle link , VXL Motor , Spektrum DX3E TX , Spektrum 2.4GHZ RX, and a Hitec 465MG Servo, On 2s Lipo. It has a great bit of wheel speed, But I need to hook up my Castle Link and set the Drag Brake, and Throttle/Punch Curve. Hopefully that will take care of the low speed shudder. I may get a BL crawler motor for my Dingo if the Castle link doesn't help my shudder at low speed/ throttle imput

If you do go with the VXL the Upper Suspension Link will be very close to the motor.

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 02-12-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You may want to look into something sensored. The low speed stutter is cogging and I don't think adjusting the drag brake will fix it. I have heard people saying the 4 pole motors have a lot less stutter. I'm running an MMP with a Losi 21.5T motor and I think it's an awesome combo. Great speed and great slow speed control.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

I'm going to try my xl5 and titan out of my stampede first and see how it is then I will probably buy the sidewinder sct system I just need to figure out how to make the sidewinder waterproof
Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Open the case. Use clear silicone (so you can still see the LEDs) and coat everything. Make sure you use a small tip and try to get a good seal between the board and the heat sink. Coat everything enough that when you close the case back up it oozes out any openings, then just wipe the excess off. I did that with the MMP on my Slash 4x4 and it worked great. I haven't submerged it yet but I have gone through nasty puddles at top speed.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant_Xj View Post
Open the case. Use clear silicone (so you can still see the LEDs) and coat everything. Make sure you use a small tip and try to get a good seal between the board and the heat sink. Coat everything enough that when you close the case back up it oozes out any openings, then just wipe the excess off. I did that with the MMP on my Slash 4x4 and it worked great. I haven't submerged it yet but I have gone through nasty puddles at top speed.
That seems like an awesome, much better solution than what some folks are doing/recommending. I was wondering how I would be waterproofing my stuff without packing with grease or epoxy. Thanks for posting this tip, much appreciated and makes so much more sense than using grease or epoxy.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the info on water proofing anybody know what gearing I should use for the 12t titan all I have is 14/87 pinion and spur that it came with I want to be able to run fast thru the mud and dirt I'm not looking to rock crawl with it
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I run a Novak Goat 3S with a Tekin 35 turn brushed motor on 3S lipo in mine 16/ 87 gearing and I love it good wheel speed, lots of low end torque. I have everything in this nice little box from Radio Shack, when I'm done a day of wheel'n I just hit the car wash or use the garden hose never had any water get in...

Needboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If you're gonna go brushless, go sensored. No matter how much tinkering you wanna do, trying to gear/program the cogging out just ain't gonna happen. The castle 14xx 4pole are awesome otherwise.

Cheap sensored brushless cogs a lot less than expensive sensorless, torque and efficiency on the other hand...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Silicone is not a good idea, it actually attracts and stores moisture, makes me laugh when I see silicone around the back window of an old car.......they are just making it rust faster
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It's not that it attracts moisture, its the acid in the silicone that reacts with the steel. If it held moisture people wouldn't use it for caulking or building aquariums. The other thing is I bet most those people don't do the extra work to make sure it's sealed right. If they had just a little bit of rust and didn't remove it, it's going to get much worse.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I just built my Dingo kit a few days ago, I swapped in the running gear from my Slash

CC Sidewinder ESC w/castle link , VXL Motor , Spektrum DX3E TX , Spektrum 2.4GHZ RX, and a Hitec 465MG Servo, On 2s Lipo. It has a great bit of wheel speed, But I need to hook up my Castle Link and set the Drag Brake, and Throttle/Punch Curve. Hopefully that will take care of the low speed shudder. I may get a BL crawler motor for my Dingo if the Castle link doesn't help my shudder at low speed/ throttle imput

If you do go with the VXL the Upper Suspension Link will be very close to the motor.

I Just got my castle link yesterday, changed throttle punch and drag brake and did a lil testing around the house...big difference, I have the 4pole not the vxl tho.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.917984,-83.809391
BAWLER CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

What system to use - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD LED Light system "The Scale Lightning System (SLS) " 4x4Crawler4LIFE Electronics 24 12-13-2012 05:38 PM
VF/DNA DIG system for AX10 - where can I buy this system????? DK Driver Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 09-07-2008 04:24 PM