Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: MIP Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Default MIP Questions

ok so i know this has probaly been asked a million times, yet i serched using this forms serch function and could not find what i was looking for,

so i was backing my scx10 honcho up a huge snow/ice mound and about 1 foot up somthing popped out, so i walked over and low and behold about six feet from the truck was my front drive shaft...the stock plastic one with metal ends, it broke on the u-joint on the driveshaft side and im in no mood to try and fix this, so i am lookingt at getting some MIP shafts,

i have three scx10s but this is the first time any of my driveshafts have broke,is the MIP worth the money, do i have to trim them to fit? i dont have a sper gear cover so no problems with that, but does anybody have any so to say instructions for them or are they pretty basic?

thanks for any and all help, o and please no smart a$$es saying use the search, because i tryed that to no avail, once again thanks
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: MIP Questions

the MIP shafts are worth every penny and they come with assmembly instructions. there are different lenghts depending on the wheel base of your SCX10.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Search Searching and reading a few posts about em will yield a lot of info, even a Google search. But I'll try and help too.

The only thing that will possibly break is the 3/32 crosspin, and that's if being seriously abused. Either buy mip's rebuild kit or buy a few 3/32 drill bits and use the shanks. Once you've put together one shaft, you've put em all together. http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...inst-10145.jpg

Heres a cross reference chart for Axial shafties. They're basically the same with the wraith having different hubs and the ax10 dig shaft lengths. http://miponline.com/store/media/mip...xref-axial.pdf

And if you've got a shorter wb break out the Dremel...

Last edited by Meatwad; 02-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the mip shafts are tough as hell. i think the only way your gonna break one is if your driveshaft angle is so bad it binds, or your running STUPID power!!!

one thing tho, after switching to mip shafts in my ax10 i tore the front output off the transmission in the first 3 minutes. these shafts will move your "fuse" to the next weakest part. now i'm running 3s lipo, mmp, and 18.5t ballistic brushless motor to!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

thanks guys, i have all stock stuff in them, simple 27turn motor i think and 2200 batterys, not lipos, at school and cant think, everythink is stock so i dont thinkn ill break them, but for sure going to get these slowly, money is short right now so for the time being i have a 2wd honcho
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
the mip shafts are tough as hell. i think the only way your gonna break one is if your driveshaft angle is so bad it binds, AND your running STUPID power!!!

one thing tho, after switching to mip shafts in my ax10 i tore the front output off the transmission in the first 3 minutes. these shafts will move your "fuse" to the next weakest part. now i'm running 3s lipo, mmp, and 18.5t ballistic brushless motor to!
Fixed it for ya. i have had my mip shaft bound bad and never broke them. the output yoke will go before that shaft will.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I bought the Punisher drive shafts since my buddies had MIP's and Junfacs and had nothing but problems with them, between pins falling out or snapping them in half. The Punisher drive shafts have been the best drive shafts I have ever owned, no matter how much strain I put on them from motors from the VXL 3500 to 55T motors I pulled everything and out powered everything, since there just a chunk of solid steel with almost no moving parts I guess you can see why, expensive but I had mine for 2 years and never have to touch them again. One of my buds is getting the knock off version from Punisher that they also make that is less expensive since he's tired of drive shafts breaking and seeing mine doing fine lol.

In this link the company or brand name is called Punisher Shafts which are the silver ones. There expensive but if you have the money I would highly recommend.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Punisher-Shaft_c_27.html

Last edited by arctichorse; 02-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

too bad you weren't looking for MIPs 2wks ago when CKRC had them on sale. their normal price is still better than the list price everyone else wants for a set.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Another vote for MIP's mine are awsome and never fall off. But hardened output shafts are a must and not to expensive. I went with a Robinson racing one peice
RksPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

++ on everything said. Once I switched to MIPs, I stopped breaking shafts. Coincidentally, that was about the same time I started breaking outdrives. Haven't broken one since switching those all out for the one-piece Robinson Racing units. (knock on wood)

I do have Punisher shafts shafts on two of my rigs. The Punishers will work at bigger angles than the MIPs without binding, but if you're running a stock setup that's not going to be a problem at all.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
the mip shafts are tough as hell. i think the only way your gonna break one is if your driveshaft angle is so bad it binds, or your running STUPID power!!!

only time I have seen an MIP break was in my little brother's slash with an 8.5t brushless, he broke a chunk out of the cup that holds the pin and joint assembly.

with ax-10 MIP shafts you wont have a problem with them, I run on MIP's on 3 out of 4 of my crawling rigs. ZERO trouble, even have MIP axle shafts in my honcho.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
I bought the Punisher drive shafts since my buddies had MIP's and Junfacs and had nothing but problems with them, between pins falling out or snapping them in half. The Punisher drive shafts have been the best drive shafts I have ever owned, no matter how much strain I put on them from motors from the VXL 3500 to 55T motors I pulled everything and out powered everything, since there just a chunk of solid steel with almost no moving parts I guess you can see why, expensive but I had mine for 2 years and never have to touch them again. One of my buds is getting the knock off version from Punisher that they also make that is less expensive since he's tired of drive shafts breaking and seeing mine doing fine lol.

In this link the company or brand name is called Punisher Shafts which are the silver ones. There expensive but if you have the money I would highly recommend.

Punisher Shaft
i have only had one pin clip loose, and that was my fault for not using thread-locker.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I've never saw or heard of an AX/SCX MIP driveshaft breaking, I have saw trucks with them break Robinson lockers and any AX/SCX CVD/dogbone/stub shy of Super 300's.Their axleshafts however, brittle toothpicks that crumble in five minutes or less.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Appreciate this thread. I'm finally going to be ordering a set for mine, along with those outputs. The driveshafts are the ONE thing on the kit that I hate.
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I have broken 1 mip in my scx10 right in the base of the joint but then again I run 3s dymanite fuse 3300kv and it flys literaly
svtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

I know this is an old thread but I have an issue with my MIP, let me re-phrase that, with my rig!. MIPS are new and correctly assembled and lubed. The problem is isolated to the rear MIP. It causes a lot of jerking at slow speed and it looks to be binding on itself. Running a stock honcho with aluminum stock 4 link and a lift kit. I've only adjusted to the first hole on the lift kit so it doesn't seem like thats the issue. The front MIP is fine and a stock Axial shaft runs great on the rear. I can see the pinion angle is far more defined with the MIP than a stock shaft. How can I relieve the strain on the MIP and adjust the angle without changing the link setup?
BayScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Easiest is to change the link setup. Slightly longer uppers to tip the axle pinion up a tad will alleviate the problem.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Easiest is to change the link setup. Slightly longer uppers to tip the axle pinion up a tad will alleviate the problem.
Can I lengthen the stock alum. uppers? Or will I need to replace them?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayScaler View Post
Can I lengthen the stock alum. uppers? Or will I need to replace them?
If you have the Axial upper aluminum links you can use spacers or washers to increase the upper links a few millimeters.

You might want to think about upgrading your links. R2J makes a stainless steel link set for the SCX10 that isn't too much more than what the Axial set runs. You can also make your own links with all-thread and metal tube.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
If you have the Axial upper aluminum links you can use spacers or washers to increase the upper links a few millimeters.

You might want to think about upgrading your links. R2J makes a stainless steel link set for the SCX10 that isn't too much more than what the Axial set runs. You can also make your own links with all-thread and metal tube.
I'm going to try 2mm cone washers to start. If that does not work then I will probably make up some new links as you have suggested. I appreciate the quick answers and help guys!

MIP Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIP center drive shaft questions / help Gambolified Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 12 12-10-2011 11:17 AM
Which MIP stub axle will fit MIP AX10 center driveline cups ?? sweli General Crawlers 2 11-08-2011 06:59 PM