Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Difference in rtr and kit scx10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1

Default Difference in rtr and kit scx10?

I know the obvious difference between rtr and kit. Electronics aren't included in the kit and I see that some of the parts are upgraded in the kit but I also notice wheel base and height differences. Are these trucks not based on the same platform? Or am I just so new to crawling that I'm missing something obvious. Sorry if this is a stupid question...lol
Zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Difference in rtr and kit scx10?

The kit is only available in the Dingo, which aside from the obvious (it's a Dingo body, not the Honcho) also has about an inch shorter wheelbase. The kit includes aluminum suspension links.

If you decide you'd like to fit a longer wheelbase body (Honcho, Jeep Comanche), Axial sells the longer wheel base links.
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

Oh okay so its just the links that cause the difference then. Cool. Other than that there are no other differences? Would it be a better value to get the rtr or the kit?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The new rtr electronics are ok. Alot better then the old stuff! It's pretty cheap to build you own links. So i say the rtr is worth it unless your planning on changing all that stuff.
axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

I went with the rtr as I wanted the longer honcho. I replaced the esc servo and motor and waterproofed the stock electronics so I don't tear up my good stuff when I feel like taking it for a dunk.
svt_adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Well I like the honcho body and I see that the esc is a decent one with the rtr kit. I do have a decent Futaba 3pm mx transmitter and receiver that I figured on using. Unless it isnt a good one for crawling? I am brand new to electric as well. All i have ever run is nitro so would it be wiser for me to just run the stock esc and motor for awhile until I get more knowledge? Thank you for your guys input as I would be lost without it.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I ran the stock motor for quit awhile.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Well I like the honcho body and I see that the esc is a decent one with the rtr kit. I do have a decent Futaba 3pm mx transmitter and receiver that I figured on using. Unless it isnt a good one for crawling? I am brand new to electric as well. All i have ever run is nitro so would it be wiser for me to just run the stock esc and motor for awhile until I get more knowledge? Thank you for your guys input as I would be lost without it.
I would just run the stock electronics, if you're new it really should not matter a whole lot. You can always upgrade as you break stuff or see a need for something different.
husky250rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I bought the RTR Dingo in Dec and have about 7 or 8 packs through it to date. No problem at all with the RTR electronics/motor, but I use it for trailing only...no hard bashing. The only things upgraded so far are alum 4 link and billet alum wheels with TSL tires. It's holding up just fine. Oh, and I changed out the spur and pinion for a 32P system plus metal gears in the tranny.

I do have a backup motor and servo for the day those happen to croak.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Is the new castle collaboration esc really as good as the reviews I've read? I hear a lot of good things about the tunability and drag brake. Even though I desperately want to build a kit maybe it would be wise to get the rtr for the electronics...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

For a rtr esc it gets the job done. For me it was the lipo cutoff and dragbrake that made it nice. The stock servo sucks but other then that I'd say if your just getting into crawlin/trailin the rtr is your best bet. I may be wrong but I've been running mine for over a year now and it's still stock other then a servo and links.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

It's basically a sidewinder but you can't really mess with the programming like a sidewinder. It's been good for me.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?l3i3lm
gottwins? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #13

Okay thank you for your feedback. I see there are a few of those esc's on ebay at about $35 now and the stock motors for about $7. Since I have a transmitter and receiver maybe I wil go kit and buy the rtr esc and motor on ebay... Then I can always extent the links and get another body later. What would be a good amout of torque for a steering servo if I am only trailing with light crawling?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I went RTR because I don't have an awful lot of spare time these days, and I would rather spend what little time I do have driving and modding than building from a kit.

I find the stock electronics to work very well, although this is my first scaler/crawler so my opinion on that might change as I continue to explore this sub-genre of RC vehicles.

I liked the Honcho body a lot, but I wish it had the light buckets where the normal headlights would be like the old kit version did. In the old kit Honcho, you could mask off where the headlights would go while painting the body and then install some buckets so it looked like you actually had real headlights with glass and everything. The RTR doesn't give you this option. It's already painted in that area and doesn't come with the buckets even if you wanted to try and strip the paint off.

All in all, I'm in love with my RTR Honcho. It's easily jumped to the top of my list of RC stuff for both it's great looks and how much fun it is to drive.

I would've never imagined how much fun scale driving would be. I'm certainly glad I gave it a shot!!
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Hobbico cs-170 @ 6.0 volts 333 oz in torque for $89. Been running one for three years not one problem! In my opinion it's the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #16

@Gimpdiggity - One of the things that really interested me in the crawling/scale scene was that simple fact that they look more realistic. I enjoy scale modeling as another hobby so it combines the two. Plus after spending the first 6 years of my time in rc trying to go as fast as possible Its time for me to slow down... I like the idea of walking along a trail with my boys and running rc at the same time. Quite frankly I could use the exercise and when I was younger I used to spend hours exploring. It will be nice to show the kids that there is more to life than food and video games! (myself included)

@axman - With the stock electronics do I need to install a bec (is that right?) for that servo or will it run fine just plugged into the receiver? The stronges servo I have ever installed in the past was a 128oz. steering servo in my t-maxx... I am a complete rookie in electric.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
@Gimpdiggity - One of the things that really interested me in the crawling/scale scene was that simple fact that they look more realistic. I enjoy scale modeling as another hobby so it combines the two. Plus after spending the first 6 years of my time in rc trying to go as fast as possible Its time for me to slow down... I like the idea of walking along a trail with my boys and running rc at the same time. Quite frankly I could use the exercise and when I was younger I used to spend hours exploring. It will be nice to show the kids that there is more to life than food and video games! (myself included)
That's actually the same reason I got involved in scalers.

I have spent the last year spending money on making things go as fast as possible, then breaking them. I figured this would be a great way to get some exercise and relax a bit...

So I got this scaler, a Night Vapor slow flying airplane, and a scale fishing boat for using on the water. All slow moving, relaxing, but still amazingly fun vehicles!!
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #18

Yeah its funny isnt it? I remember when I used to break things because i ran into something or hit to high of a jump. Then over the last two years all I have to do Is have a nice solid run and somethings gonna give. Sometimes just hitting the throttle is enough.

Difference in rtr and kit scx10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial scx10 kit or RTR amilo1845 Newbie General 19 03-08-2012 07:50 PM
scx10 rtr vs. scx10 kit newblnc Axial SCX-10 15 02-19-2011 08:19 PM
Steering difference between Honcho and Scx10 Kit Skullsplitter Axial SCX-10 5 07-06-2010 02:48 AM
SCX10 kit or RTR? CentralCoaster Axial SCX-10 11 04-30-2010 01:26 AM
Differences between the SCX10 kit and rtr? liketocrawl Axial SCX-10 5 08-28-2009 05:54 PM