Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Raising the body - Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon body issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Default Raising the body - Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon body issue

Hello,

On my ongoing quest to shape my SCX10 into something that's different from stock I bought a Rubicon body. For tires I got RC4WD Two Faces and when trying to fit the body I get something like this:

Now, while there's plenty of room to play around in the front, there's a problem in the back. Using the AX80031 subpart 2 that's all the height I get (actually less than that once I drill the body). And it's not going to be enough, my tires will rub in no time.

I saw a lift kit here but I'm not really sure I want to go the lift kit way since that'll considerably raise my CG.

What I would like would be a taller rear body post, but I don't seem to find any of those.

Are there any? Should I get the lift kit? Or should I go the DIY way?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kitsched; 05-20-2012 at 11:51 PM.
kitsched is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Raising the body

I think we will need a bigger picture to tell for sure . One thing you could do is to mount your body at the rear bumper rather then using the rear shock tower body mount. I can't tell which rear cross member you have due to the angle of the picture. But if is one that has bumper mounts like your front does. You could use some body mounts in it and just drill through the bumper for them. Looks like there is plenty of bumper height to do that to match the front. You could extend the rear stock body mount. But that is very high and a lot of stress on the mounts even at stock height. When you roll the body takes the hit and transmits it to the shock hoop where the body clips go through the shock hoops and body mount. They often will break due to this leverage, especially with large body mounts that increase torque load due to leverage.

You could try a longer shock or lift kit. When done right and not too extreme, it can work very well. If you run a lift kit you can often lower the battery (if in front of chassi). It has to be a little high so the servo will not hit it during suspension compression. But when you run a longer shock or lower the upper mount with a lift kit, the maximum up travel point will be lower. So you can lower the battery to compensate (battery is usually the heaviest part and up high, lowering really helps).
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips.
(Sorry about the image size, I resized it now.)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I had the same issue with Rubicon. I just raised the body post by drilling another hole beneath the last one and it worked fine. I also have my front post a lot lower than yours to where the front grille touches the frame rails.

One other issue I had is with the battery location, the grille of the body slants back and hits the battery. I had to rework the mount to slide the battery toward the rear about 1/2-inch to clear the grille.
SP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP225 View Post
I had the same issue with Rubicon. I just raised the body post by drilling another hole beneath the last one and it worked fine. I also have my front post a lot lower than yours to where the front grille touches the frame rails.

One other issue I had is with the battery location, the grille of the body slants back and hits the battery. I had to rework the mount to slide the battery toward the rear about 1/2-inch to clear the grille.
X2 go buy yourself a drill bit the same diameter as the rear body post holes and drill some new holes below the existing ones to raise it up, while lowering the front post some.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #6

Default Re: Raising the body - Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon body issue

Thanks for the tips, here's a follow up:

Yeah, I know the images are huge.

Incoming lift kit!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Looks cool, I like the orange Crush color. Another tip is to paint the inside of the body black after you are done. It makes it look better when you look through the windows and makes the body color more solid and non-transparent.
SP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP225 View Post
Looks cool, I like the orange Crush color. Another tip is to paint the inside of the body black after you are done. It makes it look better when you look through the windows and makes the body color more solid and non-transparent.

For a nice light and bright orange like that tho (any lighter color),
its a better idea to back it with white or silver first, then the black.

It makes the lighter colors "POP" out like they were intended too...

Just throwing black on it is a noob move that will only ruin the intended color,
and make it look darker.

Last edited by cogfounder; 05-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
cogfounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogfounder View Post

For a nice light and bright orange like that tho (any lighter color),
its a better idea to back it with white or silver first, then the black.

It makes the lighter colors "POP" out like they were intended too...

Just throwing black on it is a noob move that will only ruin the intended color,
and make it look darker.
Good tip. I will try that next time
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Aaand we have lift-kit-off!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice looking Jeep....the orange is perfect.
How do you like those tires?
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

I don't have much experience with tires, I had the stock ones that came with the Dingo, then I got a set of 1.9 RC4WD Dirt Grabbers which I loved in the photos on the Net but they turned out to be small and off scale on my rig so I haven't really used them and quickly ordered the 1.9 Two Faces since they were on clearance. So I can compare the Two Faces with the stock tires and the difference is big. I installed them leaving out the foam and they grip really well, I couldn't believe the places where I could crawl up with them. Plus they look awesome but what bothers my OCD is that they're asymmetrical - you can see that pretty well in the photo above.

Raising the body - Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon body issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-Line PL-C interior and Rubicon body? JDeezie82 Paint and Body 3 01-30-2011 12:27 PM
Pro Line Comanche body fit issue? s102000 Paint and Body 42 10-02-2010 01:09 AM