Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho Lift Kit Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Honcho Lift Kit Questions...

Hi guys.

I've tried searching, and I found information about the output shafts from the motor and such, but nothing mentioning the the links.

I just installed the Axial aluminum link set on my truck. I like how they perform.

I'm thinking about getting or making a lift kit for the truck. The Level 3 one is on my list, as is one from a friend that is making some parts, as is one that I try to make on my own.

My question is this...if I install the lift kit with the aluminum links, will anything be "off" at all? I'm trying to wrap my head around how the lift kit works, and it seems that it would cause the links to be at a different angle than they are stock, and I'm just trying to make sure that it won't cause any kind of problems with anything else.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and I did try searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Any lift kit will put more stress on the stock drive shafts and make them bind. It will also slightly "shorten" your wheel base depending on how high you go. If you get Traxxas Stampede drive shafts, they won't bind with a small lift.
SpecterXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Honcho Lift Kit Questions...

Okay. Seems like more negatives than it's really worth.

I may just go ahead and pass.

Thanks!!
Jeff
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

I bought a lift kit and found out the hard way. I may eventually get new driveshafts, but for now the lift kit is collecting dust. If I make my SCX-10 a 2.2, then I'll use the lift kit and get new lower links (use OEM lowers as the new uppers) and a new body. But that's later, it at all.
SpecterXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just change to longer shocks. Around 100mm and you get a nice lift and the shafts will be fine. For whats its worth in my opinion the lift and the 2.2's are so much more fun than the stock configuration.
jshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It doesn't matter if it's longer shocks or a lift kit, both affect the drive-train in the same manner. The result of either one is increasing the distance between the frame and axles which in-turn increases the angles of the drive-shafts and shortens the wheelbase.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

You should be able to Add a suspension lift and retain the wheelbase. But to do this you will need to adjust the length of all the links. The issue will be the angle of the drive shafts if you go too high.

Not sure if you could rotate the axle with 4 links. I immediately changed my truck to leafs so I could lift and rotate the axles.
Buckaloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, if I was going to go for the lift, it would be a pretty mild one. I was thinking about 1/4" on all four corners.

I already have a bumper lift bracket that has raised the bumper about 3/8" or so, and I was thinking that with another 1/4" with the lift kit I'd never run into any issues with the bumper being in the way at all.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #9

I am running the level 3 lift, just installed it this past week. When I first put it on I had it at about the halfway setting. That was pretty high, a little too high because it made the truck too tippy. So I lowered it a few notches and it's a bit more reasonable now. But even when I had it riding really high, I don't know, didn't notice any problems with binding or anything.

Where did you get the bumper lift bracket, or did you make one yourself?
Honcho Legger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho Legger View Post
I am running the level 3 lift, just installed it this past week. When I first put it on I had it at about the halfway setting. That was pretty high, a little too high because it made the truck too tippy. So I lowered it a few notches and it's a bit more reasonable now. But even when I had it riding really high, I don't know, didn't notice any problems with binding or anything.

Where did you get the bumper lift bracket, or did you make one yourself?

I bought it from a guy that's making them on another forum that I've gotten several things from. It's pretty nice, came with all the hardware and installed really easily.

I can try to get a few pictures this evening when I get home from work.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Here's the bumper raiser.

It raises the bumper so that the bottom of the stock bumper is just very slightly above the bottom of the frame rail. Should improve approach quite a bit.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

planing on moding my scx,and form start i want to change the bumper,to a solid metal bumper with winch.any ideas?

after planing on buying the xd piggyback shocks9don;t know yet the 93 or 103 mm) and maybe if not enough,buy a lifting kit

P.S. i use a 2.2 wheels
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Honcho Lift Kit Questions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about original AX10 KIT (first gen.) and latest KIT GWEEDZ Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-18-2012 07:30 AM
lift kit usa1man Chit Chat 13 08-14-2007 07:35 PM