Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Need some help 4 linking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Need some help 4 linking

I have a scx-10 that I'm wanting to 4 link. I need to know what size links are stock. I'm also trying to stretch the wheelbase to fit my 1979 F150 Body. the front wheels are pretty centered so just trying to stretch the rear. also would putting the high clearance lower links help any

Captainsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need some help 4 linking

We need more info like is it a Dingo or Honcho???
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

R2J sells a nice 4 link set up for the SCX10. He could probably know what size you would need if you tell him the wheelbase of the body.

If you are wanting to make your own then you could do what I do and use all thread with traxxas ball ends. I buy 8/32 all thread and then put one of the ball ends on the all thread and then i take my stock link and run a allen wrench thru both at one end and then eye ball where i need to cut the all thread compared to the stock link. I then put the other ball end on and run it down till the eyes of the ball ends match with the stock link. After i get my links to the length i want them i sleeved them with cut carbon fiber archery arrows. Here is a finished steering link to give you an idea of the finished product.

If you want to go this route and want more details on the how to's i could take some pics of the process and e-mail them to ya. Hope any of this helps.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Axial has all the build manuals online just look up the page i think it is around page 18-20.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1911 View Post
R2J sells a nice 4 link set up for the SCX10. He could probably know what size you would need if you tell him the wheelbase of the body.

If you are wanting to make your own then you could do what I do and use all thread with traxxas ball ends. I buy 8/32 all thread and then put one of the ball ends on the all thread and then i take my stock link and run a allen wrench thru both at one end and then eye ball where i need to cut the all thread compared to the stock link. I then put the other ball end on and run it down till the eyes of the ball ends match with the stock link. After i get my links to the length i want them i sleeved them with cut carbon fiber archery arrows. Here is a finished steering link to give you an idea of the finished product.

If you want to go this route and want more details on the how to's i could take some pics of the process and e-mail them to ya. Hope any of this helps.

Thats a great suggestion offroad1911! I would do that, this way you can place the tire any where you think looks scale! sweet!
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

Im not sure what it is, i bought it used. It had a ramcharger body on it when I bought it. I like the allthread idea. what is the diameter of the arrows. i'm kinda wanting to keep with the green theme. The truck was upgraded quite a bit when I got it so not entirely sure what is all one it.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You can also use 1/4 ID brake line (that's what I use). Once you make your own links and figure out how easy and cheap it is you'll never do anything else.
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What i do is get my 8/32 all thread and then go to a archery shop and they always give the cut offs from when they custom cut arrows for customers. I match up what color i want and then good to go. Most carbon arrows are the same diameter, dont know off the top of my head though. Aluminum arrows are quite bigger and are to loose on the all-thread so stay away from those. Wal-Mart in some towns still sell arrows and uasully cheap, might check that out. I always get my all-thread from Lowes.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

Thanks think im gonna try this what is the part number on the traxxas ends, also are trusses better than like the servo plate for the 4 link
Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:

sorry dont mean to high jack thread but what are you using for a servo mount?
scottl1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainsa View Post
Thanks think im gonna try this what is the part number on the traxxas ends, also are trusses better than like the servo plate for the 4 link

TowerHobbies.com | TRA5347 5347 Traxxas Rod Ends w/Hollow Balls Large Revo (12)

Heres the link for the ends. As for the 4 link plates im using T-Rex 60 axles so i just went with the link plates for them.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl1346 View Post
sorry dont mean to high jack thread but what are you using for a servo mount?
Im using aluminum angle that i bolted in between the frame rails. I tend to make most of my add ons with scrap i have laying around.
Here is a better pic that you can see the edge of the angle.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Something else i wanted to share is when i make the links i fit the arrow sleeve tight, but with the steering link i leave just a slight bit of room to let the sleeve roll as it goes over the rocks. No dragging it that way.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #14

does the servo mount help with articulation or get in the way of the diff?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

With the T-Rex axles i found it works better that way for me. The link plate does go up and touch the servo, but it kinda works as a bump stop and keeps the tires out of the body.

Last edited by offroad1911; 07-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
With the T-Rex axles i found it works better that way for me.
ok thanks mines all stock except for the aluminum links im just looking for ideas to do
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #17

This is what I'm planning on getting.
Gear head rc axle truss for rear
Bender customs 4 link plate for front keeping servo in stock location, will this work
Revo rod ends the part you gave me
Then go to lowes and local sporting goods store

This seems like a lot of work just because I pulled the rod end off of the rear 3 link. But have wanted to 4 link ever since I've got it

Last edited by Captainsa; 07-08-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The last time i got this stuff i had enough to last a while. Been using the same stuff for a couple years now.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

seems like a lot of work but worth it in my opinion. I have the gearhead 4link truss and it works great. One of the benefits of going 4 link, in my opinion, is the fact that now the stress is on 2 points rather than all on the 1 link end which should minimize the chances of stripped/pulling it out again. =)
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #20

I made my own links and converted my honcho to 4 link. I kept it stock wheelbase.

I used Axial ball ends.. but my links are.

Front Top's : 92mm + rod ends
Front Bottoms: 98mm + rod ends.

Rear Tops: 98mm + rod ends.
Rear Bottom: 106mm + Rod ends.

This is almost identical to stock..the 92mm's up front might be a little long it clocked my axle a bit and causes my servo horn to get hung up on the front cross brace but I just trimmed the brace down a bit.

I think for it to be identical to stock the top front links would be 91mm ( axial sells 91, 98, 106mm links so thats what makes me think that ) I just measured all the plastic links and subtracted the ball end center to edge x 2.. to figure these out when I made mine.

PS Fyi the steering links are 106mm and 33mm

Last edited by Mike Honcho; 07-08-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some help 4 linking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linking a new receiver? ROWDY RACING Electronics 2 01-08-2010 07:03 PM
linking 2 batterys spgrading Electronics 6 11-08-2009 08:33 PM
four linking tltmudder Newbie General 4 02-01-2007 12:40 PM
Help with linking Brainstain Comments, Suggestions, and Help 14 11-26-2006 10:34 AM