Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: How much is too much? (A question about weight)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Default How much is too much? (A question about weight)

In my Dingo, im currently running weights in the front wheels as well as the battery up front. Forward bite on small obstacles and inclines is great but on the steeper stuff it seems that I dont have the weight in the rear to really plant the tires and I just kind of sit and hop around. Im looking into getting the Jevne Racing "Ultra Plate" to shift some weight toward the rear as I really dont want to mount the battery out back again and risk roll overs.

What kind of weight and where are you guys running it, and how does it work for you?
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How much is too much? (A question about weight)

I have 4 oz of stick on weights on the inside of the front wheels and 2 oz in the rear. I have the Jevne Racing Battery Plate to lower the battery.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #3

Maybe i'll try a little weight in the rear tires and see how that goes. On a side note, how do you like the Battery plate?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I run 4 oz in the front and 2-3 oz in the rear wheels and that seems to be a good balance for my rigs. My tranny is mirrored and my batteries are mounted in front on 1 rig and on my boat sides on the other. Both work well, one keeping weight up front and the other keeps it way down low. Also have beef tubes in each which adds another 1oz or so to the front.

Lot of trial and error. I Used to run almost 6oz in front and 3 in the rear when i was running my mayhems 1.9 beadlocks and those are 3oz themselves so 9 up front and 6 in the rear !!! was one heavy hilux.

Definitely need rear in the back to help with downhill crawling otherwise you will risk flipping forward.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

I have 4oz front and rear works great for me.
TheFridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have battery up front and 6oz in each front wheel, 3oz in each back wheel running a droop suspension. I love it
Dgrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It seems many people approach the scale trucks much like a comp crawler in regards to weight. In my opinion, the scale trucks are up and down and sideways, so it needs to be balanced. My wheel and tire combo weighs around 7 oz at each corner. Rig's overall weight is sub-seven pounds.

I think balance is key. Of course, it depends on how you use your SCX-10, your diving style, terrain, etc.

Remember, it takes time to tune a rig. If it seems you need less / more weight, adjust it. Find a place that you can run that stays rather consistent so you can compare changes you made to see if it worked as expected. I have a "testing" ditch I crawl after any changes. I can crawl for about an hour and go from one end to the other and back again. I know how it did before and can compare the change to see if it helped or hurt. I do this with tires, suspension adjustments, drag brake settings, anything that will change the way it drives.

If you are tuning wheel weight, a good set of beadlocks is a must.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
Maybe i'll try a little weight in the rear tires and see how that goes. On a side note, how do you like the Battery plate?
The Jevne Racing Battery Plate works really well. It help make the truck a little less likely to roll over. It is built really well. All of the holes lined up right with the frame. No installation issues at all. The downside is the cost.

This my SCX10 with the battery plate installed:

k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

You generaly want a 60/40 weight ratio. Anymore than that is to much weight.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
If you are tuning wheel weight, a good set of beadlocks is a must.
VP OMF wheels are going to be the next "big" buy. I have the VP knuckles so I could use bolt on weights but then I feel like im getting away from a true "scaler"

I'm going to order the battery plate tonight when I get home and mount it all and do some tweaking next week when my new running gear comes in. Thanks to all you guys so far for your suggestions.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I got 7oz in the front and 3 1/2 in the rear with the battrey in the stock spot. When i go down hill the rear end picks up and wants to roll over. When going uphill since theres a lot of weight up front, sometimes the crawler tends to go left or right more then i want it to. Im about to relocate my battery to get more center of gravity.
Hollaitzwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I run 3oz all the way around with battery on stock front plate and find the balance to be excellent on both my scx trucks.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Wheel weight will be different for almost any rig, unless one is running box stock and there is a common baseline weight bias to go from. Once you start changing bodies, wheels/tires, accessories, electronics and etc then weight bias top to bottom along with front to back changes.

That being said, I like a lot of wheel weight. Close to 9oz per front and 5oz per rear wheel. With of course beefed up parts to compensate and some decent wheel speed. Heavier wheels and mostly droop suspension feels well planted for how I drive.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

How much is too much? (A question about weight) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weight question tmaxxdout Newbie General 3 07-10-2010 03:23 PM
weight question Big Rig Crawler General Crawlers 3 05-21-2010 12:16 PM
Weight question whanzich RC4WD Bully 13 09-24-2009 12:36 AM
weight question MudChicken Newbie General 4 11-29-2005 07:52 AM
a little question about weight? firstumustcrawl General Crawlers 32 02-27-2004 11:41 AM