Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Another scx10

So my little girl has been wanting a rc car for some time now and couldn't decide weather she wanted a short course truck or a crawler. So after a few days of putting it off letting her make up her mind I come home to find a craigslist add on display on my laptop next to the "key counter" at my home. So off I went to get it without telling her only to get a phone call from her shortly after I left telling me she found a crawler that looked just like my 74 4x4 that she had to have. So here it is.

Its a bit of a frankinstein with tamiya tlt rockbuster axles, traxxis drive shafts/ shocks, 2.2 proline moabs, a rooster crawler esc, novac 55t motor and a traxxis controller/ receiver but its what she wanted and for 100 bucks it was worth it to me.
Fat fingered from the phone- Corey
SunShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

So other than stretching the wheelbase so it fits the body, making sliders/bumpers and a new set of shocks what do you guys recommend?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another scx10

For your daughter?
Probably nothing to the truck. Might want some better wheels/tires if you do more than just bashing around the yard. Might end up wanting a faster motor too.. but faster is more likely to break stuff (idk how rough your kid is on stuff)

In general?
Lipo batteries if you can. I started with this rc crawler stuff a couple months ago and went with some cheap nimhs. Wish I'd have done the research and gone lipo.
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Oh she's pretty rough on this stuff. According to her and I quote "its a rock crawler and that's what Im gonna do with it", that was her response after she snapped both drive shafts and bent damn near all 8 links on my ax10 and that was all with one tumble. For a 10yo she's a pretty good driver finding lines and getting out of holes, she just goes with it and wont stop until she's got it. She wanted a scaler because it looks real and im more than happy to sit with her and show her how to use the tools and make the parts.

Im just not real familiar with the tamiya axles and the traxxis shocks. I don't know if their gonna be able to take the abuse from this hardcore little terror of mine. Or are if their gonna preform like the axial components

Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Well I was finally able to sit down and do something. Got tired of her snagging wires so I rearranged the electronics and cleaned things up, and just because I had nothing better to do, I went with a 3 link up front and mounted the servo on the frame, also started breaking the tires loose and narrowing the rims.

Last edited by SunShine; 11-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Got the rims narrowed and trimmed the foam. But I found a sex of axial Beadlocks on ebay for $25 so there on the way. I decided to keep the 2.2's because I think it would make it easier for my little girl. So we will see. I also found a set of factory 1.9 off a honcho for $20 bucks shipped so there on there way as well. Already broke my goal of spending no money on this but i can't make tires

Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another scx10

tlt axles break pretty easy. you can upgrade them but they have soft ring and pinions, brittle plastic housings, and the axles snap off where they neck down. you can take them apart and make sure that your pinion depth is good and doesn't have any slop. if it does have slop you can make washers out of lexan to space it out. also double check and make sure they have bearings, the TLT kit came with bushings so sometimes they still have bushings in there. Making this rig a 1.9 will help the axles survive.
liveforocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Stretched the rear out today and tried a different approach for the rear 4 link and it actually works pretty well. Cleaned up the rear axle with my dremel removing tabs and smoothing out the lines. Next is refining the front end and cleanin up the botch job of a CMS and 3 link set up. Planning on making a bumper and including tabs and extra supports for the CMS and 3 link set up .

Last edited by SunShine; 11-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Another scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need width of scx10 axles with 650 SLW hubs and/or 750? Pondering wraith vs scx10. Desert Rc General Scale Talk 6 06-25-2012 05:28 PM
T.O.M's SCX10 - The True Power of Axials SCX10 stewbaru Axial SCX-10 4 08-17-2011 07:30 PM
Will SCX10 Honcho Kit Parts Fit on Older SCX10? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-23-2009 03:56 PM