Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 Volkswagen Bug...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX-10 Volkswagen Bug...

Hi everyone.

Last night I was working on some of my RC stuff. I recently had a Duratrax Baja Bug that suffered some problems when it crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. I ended up ordering another Baja Bug, with the plans of fixing this one up over the winter to be a loaner vehicle.

Anyways, in the process of working on stuff tonight, I noticed that the wheelbase of the Honcho and the Baja Bug are pretty similar...so I figured I'd try to see how the SCX-10 looked with the Bug body on it.

These were the results.

I think it actually ended up looking kind of cool.

It's a really easy change...I just had to drill some holes on the body and use the larger SCX-10 rear body posts.

I can't get the body to mount any lower, however, because the body sits on the rock rails and I'd rather not take those off because it will make switching back to the Honcho setup a bit more of a PITA. Also, the body at the front is about as low as it can go while still fitting my 2s battery in there.

The Bug body has six LEDs on it, so it lights up pretty well...the only thing that doesn't really work out is the winch control unit for the truck is mounted inside the Honcho body. I suppose I could get some Velcro and make it so that it could mount inside either body.

Any thoughts are welcome. I was just passing some time while bored with this, and I like how it turned out.

Oh yah, I've also got some video of it moving that I've got to upload.
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX-10 Volkswagen Bug...

Looks pretty good!

Btw, its funny I see this post right and I mean RIGHT after looking at one of these duratrax bugs and I'm seriously thinking about picking one up. How do you like them so far? I figure 180 can't be beat with a stick considering what you get. I just can't get any pics of them with the body off of the tub or anything. Your input would be greatly appreciated. They have to be fun!!
Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Hey GD, looks good.

I have a bug scaler and have wondered about this body.
What's your wheel base?
It looks like the rear axle could come in just a little.

Can we get some close up detail shots of the 3d engine?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

I think it looks good, glad too see other bodies mounted on the scx10 chassis.
kadalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykrawler View Post
Looks pretty good!

Btw, its funny I see this post right and I mean RIGHT after looking at one of these duratrax bugs and I'm seriously thinking about picking one up. How do you like them so far? I figure 180 can't be beat with a stick considering what you get. I just can't get any pics of them with the body off of the tub or anything. Your input would be greatly appreciated. They have to be fun!!

Thanks Krawler. Here's a shot of the bug without it's body on. This is the chassis that the blue and white body came off of that's in these photos.

I have two bugs. This one here was run on the beach in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It got some salt water on it and I didn't clean it up nearly as much as I thought I had. I ended up with surface rust on ALL of the metal parts. I am pretty ridiculous about that type of thing, so when looking at all of the prices of replacement parts, I ended up just getting another Bug instead. If you check Tower's Scratch and Dent section, there's Bugs in there a LOT with box damage. I got the red one that I'm currently using for $120 shipped, which is a GREAT deal for everything you get.

The chassis basically just an Evader ST with shorter arms. So all of the stuff you've read about an Evader will basically qualify for the Bug as well.

I found it's 19t motor to be a good speed for the vehicle, and the way it handles is pretty cool. Really, you can't help but have a smile on your face while driving one.

I bought that other one to have because I enjoyed the first one so much...and I plan on replacing the bearings and hardware on the first one this winter when I get around to it so that I have this one back up to par again.

Here's a quick video of it out on the beach...it's a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHVYm7ak_Ao

Last edited by Gimpdiggity; 11-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Hey GD, looks good.

I have a bug scaler and have wondered about this body.
What's your wheel base?
It looks like the rear axle could come in just a little.

Can we get some close up detail shots of the 3d engine?

Thanks.

You are correct on the wheelbase. I've got the stock Honcho 12.3" (I think?) wheelbase. It's a TAD bit long for the Bug body, but I'm going to leave it for now because I plan on using both bodies depending on what I'm in the mood for, and I'd rather not have to change the links and such all around. Basically, it's like a lazy person's body swap!!!

Here are a couple of pictures of the 3D engine on my red Baja Bug. I think it's a pretty good looking part and really adds to the overall look of the body.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the chassis pic gimp! That's what I was looking for. Also thanks for the tip on the scratch and dent, prob will pick one up Friday since its payday. Either way, I can't wait t get one now. I was thinking this would be a good fun buggy while maintaining a certain level of low expense. Plus I've been wanting to do a tow rig with my other scx10 and build a trailer, this should make for a good trailer vehicle!

I love myrtle beach! I haven't been in a few years due to this money stealing hobby and the never having free time. I used to go consecutively with family for 19 years. Very good family spot in surf side.
Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, I'm glad you like the body like this. My wife really likes it too.

I think I'm going to leave it like this for a while. It just really kind of fits my style. I know the wheelbase is a bit off, but I can live with it for the time being. I had been wanting to change the body up on this truck a bit...I like the stock Honcho body, but I was just getting a bit bored with it.

This will fit the bill, and by the time I'm tired of this, I'll probably be ready to go back to that stock Honcho body again!!

SCX-10 Volkswagen Bug... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen T3 syncro single cab stef91 1.9 Scale Rigs 28 07-20-2012 02:19 AM
Volkswagen Beetle Klowd 13 Newbie General 19 09-21-2007 08:00 PM