Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Noob Question :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Default Noob Question :)

Hi-
I just got a dingo kit and am currently building it.
I was wondering what a good setup is.

Are these any good?:
FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver
TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HS-646WP Analog Waterproof High Voltage Servo

Whats a good motor esc combo? 17.5 turn?
THanks!
solly98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Noob Question :)

those radios are good, i use hitec servos in all my scalers !! they r great..if you're going brushless..the tekin 13.5 motors seem to be what most around here run.. the mmp esc's are nice..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have read that a lot of people like the GT3B, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I run a 4PL now which I love and honestly I liked my DX3C when I planned to start up on a budget (tossed that idea pretty quick).

I see you are looking at a waterproof servo. If you are looking to do some muddy / water running I would go straight to a Holmes BR-XL Waterproof and a decent but not too expensive 35t motor (I have used Torquemaster Expert & Brood Intensity with good results). I have run the BR-XL in a couple of thing that were seeing water and they work great.

As for that servo, I ran one in my Dingo when I had it and it worked pretty good for the money. I was running decent sized tires too.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The GT3B is a great radio. Mine is hacked with a VR mod and a display mod. On the factory VR batteries don't last too long. Go talk to losikid, he's pretty much the GT3B guru.

I'm going to second Holmes hobbies. I'm trying to convince myself I want to spend money. Their combos look like pretty good bang for the buck.

Tekin also makes great motors and escs.

Depending on what voltage you want to run a castle SV2 or a MMP might be a good choice as well. Both will do brushed or brushless.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

any thing a bit cheaper....I want everything around 150ish....mmp is rlly expensive
Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have the hacked GT3B that I"m using on my comp truck, it will do everything you want it to, 8 channels for any accessories you may end up wanting to run. Get the fully hacked one though, even after the upgrades it's still cheaper than the alternatives. If you have the cash get the futaba, but if budget is a issue, you won't beat the GT3B.

For servos, Traxxas makes a nice waterproof servo for quite cheap, $25-30 range that will have more than enough jam to get started with. Buy a $5 jar of liquid tape and waterproof your reciever and ESC with it. I've been using waterproofed AE-2's from Axial in everything from scale trucks that have been cruised around on the bottom of a swimming pool to my XR-10 . Traxxas makes a nice waterproof ESC for cheapish as well if you want something you can swamp right out of the box.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly98 View Post
any thing a bit cheaper....I want everything around 150ish....mmp is rlly expensive
that they are but they are one heck of an ESC. ive used a buddys in everything from my SCT rig to an e revo to a crawler.

might be able to find a used one for a decent price.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Honestly one of the items to not skimp on is the ESC. The FlySky radio is grear for the price. Receivers are like 7 dollars. Get a Solar d277 servo on hobbypartz.com and use the money saved on other things for the ESC. One good reason to get an MMP is the convenience to run Brushless or Brushed .... Censored or Censorless motors. No need to buy a new one when the one ESC can do it all. If your budget really is 150 and you need an ESC, Motor and Servo I would just wait and save for another 50 bucks and get something you wont be wasting money on.

MMP $105
Integy 35t motor $22
Solar Servo $20
Total $147 leaves you 3 dollars for shipping. LOL
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

So hheres what im thinking:
GT3B-$40
traxxas waterproof servo-35
Traxxas XL5 ESC: $65
TowerHobbies.com | Trinity SpeedGems 35 Turn Double Sapphire Rock Crawler -$35
Total: 175...

Anyone know a cheaper motor?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I run the gt3b, and it works great! As for the servo, I run the hitec hs5646wp with great results! Great torque, but I an looking for a bec too get the extra voltage out of it.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly98 View Post
So hheres what im thinking:
GT3B-$40
traxxas waterproof servo-35
Traxxas XL5 ESC: $65
TowerHobbies.com | Trinity SpeedGems 35 Turn Double Sapphire Rock Crawler -$35
Total: 175...

Anyone know a cheaper motor?
You can always run something like the stock tin can axial motors or similar, up my way you can find a number of brands in the $15 range, anything from 20t to 55t. This will get you up and running for cheap and they take a fair bit of abuse, but they do wear out faster than the above mentioned motors. I don't think they really like 3S either. I run the Axial 35t in my sons honcho because it spends a fair bit of time on the bottom of lakes and mudholes.

You get what you pay for though. Eventually you will upgrade and buy something better. If you can afford to it's cheaper in the long run to just save up and buy better now.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The GT3-B is a great choice. I would put that on your definite list. As far as ESC and servo..... The XL-5 will gt you running but it will end up frustrating without tuning features and no drag brake. Seriously though, a few more dollars and you will be more then happy with a purchase like HH BR-XL or a Mamba Max Pro. Worth the cost in the long run.
As for servo it all depends on a few different things. Tire size 1.9s vs 2.2s, terrain mud water sand weight of the vehicle what power you want to run at 6v vs 7.4v. It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how happy you will be with your purchase. I know the higher price parts are costly but if you don't like it a good chunk of money can be recouped. Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Mamba Max Pro was nice in my blazer, really good thru-put power wise. Great all around, Just depends on your intended use. I was comping with that one. But for mud bogging, I would get something either a bit cheaper or more waterproof.

So yeah, what are you going to be using this truck for?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

THanks for all the advice!
I will be using it in mostly wet condititons and be adapting one of my plows to it to plow my front walk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0HVdyIx44
Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
RCC Addict

If you are going to crawl, DO NOT use a XL5 or a VXL, great ESC's for going fast but they are terrible for crawlers. Spend the money on an MMP if you are going to go brushless at any point or the Holmes BR-XL for brushed only. The BR-XL is the finest ESC on the market.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #16

Anything waterproof but a bit cheaper... I cant spend too much
Old 12-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #17

Also can i use nimh battery with the holmes?
I havent upgrade to lipo yet...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

You can use that battery and if you go to lipo you can run up to 6s. Great esc, I have 2 they run a 45 and 55t tekins with the fly sky great combo highly recommended. Pay the money for the Holmes bro, then you can be cheap on your motors trust me if its a 70 dollar esc and extra 30 or so is worth the quality.
CiLyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

waterproof is going to drive prices up. when you say wet,how wet? splash it or sink it? the losi mcs12L esc is water resistant, its around the same price as the xl5. it has a crawler mode with drag brake and instant reverse,and a lipo mode with LVC for 2s lipo. it will run nimh also. there are effective ways to WP your electronics if you dont have WP stuff

yes, the holmes esc will run on nimh, any esc will,you may have to disable the LVC if its default is on
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I have pretty much the same dilema for the sons truck, only waterproof system that I can find that will happily run 3s is the Velion system, they have a motor and ESC combo that is apparently 1/2 decent for a basher/bogger type truck, The low end crawl won't be as smooth as some others but it works well enough, Cost is way up though.

I opted for a better/cheaper ESC that'll run 3s and will either waterproof with a balloon or I may just pull it apart and liquid tape the thing. No warranty, but I do end up with a good esc that you can crawl with that you can still drown. I haven't run one of the Holmes ones, but it seems like there's enough people saying it's a good one to believe it. I have done the liquid tape to waterproof a bunch of recievers and 3 ESC's so far though with great results, a year later and everything is still working. So this is a viable option. By waterproof I mean bottom of the pond sort of driving.

Noob Question :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noob question tbeaton Axial SCX-10 18 11-07-2010 08:43 PM
A very noob question motostowes Newbie General 3 08-21-2010 07:41 AM
noob question Robb8 Newbie General 2 11-30-2009 04:14 PM
Noob Question 350jeepcj5 Newbie General 5 11-08-2005 08:11 PM