Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: axle mount VS. chassis mount servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: axle mount VS. chassis mount servo

I have to run a cms because I moved my motor. It took a bit of work getting at the links just right but I was able to get the steering / suspension to work with no bump steer, full compression and full flex.

oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #22

I converted to cams for a few reasons. I wanted the scale look, but I was also having trouble with the servo rubbing against the frame rails when the suspension was compressed on one side or the other. If you do the conversion you have to have a panhard bar in place to keep the axle from shifting from side to side while underway. If that happens you get "bump steer" which is just what it sounds like... If you hit a bump, it'll cause the wheels to steer one way or the other since the axle and servo are no longer married together. Also make sure your panhard bar and your steering link are running the same direction... I had to switch my steering link to the right hand knuckle because that's the side my panhard bar was on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grayspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #23
RCC Addict

A properly set up panhard bar eliminates bump steer. Drag link and panhard bar need to be almost the same length and parallel to each other for it to work properly. Another point here is that bump steer in not really a huge issue on a crawler, in a high speed rig it is crucial to minimize it for handling and stability....... Driveability. It would be difficult to drive something that changed direction every time you hit a pebble.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk View Post
I have to run a cms because I moved my motor. It took a bit of work getting at the links just right but I was able to get the steering / suspension to work with no bump steer, full compression and full flex.

Just curious, but wat is the benefit of this setup? Does it help to drop the ratio? Ive seen the transfer case part on ebay, but wasnt sure if it was just for relocation or performance

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Just curious, but wat is the benefit of this setup? Does it help to drop the ratio? Ive seen the transfer case part on ebay, but wasnt sure if it was just for relocation or performance
The benefit is moving the motor more forward and lower. The gear ratio remains the same since it uses the same Axial transmission gears, just in a different layout.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The benefit is moving the motor more forward and lower. The gear ratio remains the same since it uses the same Axial transmission gears, just in a different layout.
Ok, i got ya. Never thought bout it puttin the weight forward lol. Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote

axle mount VS. chassis mount servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Modular Servo Mount/Battery Tray/Adjustable Upper Link Mount billet works HPI Wheely King 18 07-05-2010 10:52 AM
Who makes a servo mount for a txt to mount it on the axle robster Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 12-14-2008 05:50 PM