Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: running stock honcho lights off 9v battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default running stock honcho lights off 9v battery

Has anyone figured out a way to, and or what resistors are needed, to run the stock honcho light kit off of a 9v battery?

I did a google search but couldnt find what I wanted..

basically im just wanting to run the stock light kit for a honcho off of a 9v battery because my winch took up my 3rd channel on my reciever..

any help is appriciated, Thanks!
KC_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: running stock honcho lights off 9v battery

The simple LED controller is designed to run off of 5V. You would need to use a receiver pack or 4 AA cells to power it.

Another option is to upgrade to one of the HeyOK brake light controllers.
You plug it into CH2 and your ESC into the light controller so you don't need a dedicated channel to run the lights. The power and ESC signals are passed thru the lighting controller.

The brake light/ headlight option which cost $20 gives you headlights going forward with dim rear for tail lights and brakes when stopped.

I have the one with headlights, brake lights and backup lights. Works great and you don't lose a channel for the LEDs.

Here is the link:Brake Light Controller
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_crawler View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to, and or what resistors are needed, to run the stock honcho light kit off of a 9v battery?

I did a google search but couldnt find what I wanted..

basically im just wanting to run the stock light kit for a honcho off of a 9v battery because my winch took up my 3rd channel on my reciever..

any help is appriciated, Thanks!
You can use a "Y" harness. Thats what I did.
BigGuyJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

sweet thanks guys!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

To determine the resistors needed you need to know the forward voltage of the LED in question, as well as the rated amperage. Common 5mm LED's that I've come accross are something like 3v forward voltage and rated for 30mA. R=V/I so 3V/.03A = 100 ohms. This would be the lowest ohm resistor that should be used. You would certainly be safe using something between 220-330ohm, and if they seemed overly dim just lower the resistance slightly until the desired brightness is acheived.

A way to safely determine the resistor for an unknown LED is to get a variable resistor (something like a 102) and adjust it to the max resistance. Hook it up between the power source and LED (it should be very dim) and slowly adjust it down until you see optimal brightness, then raise it back up slightly. At that point you would take a multi-meter and see what the resistance is. Then you could go buy a pack closest to what you found.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
To determine the resistors needed you need to know the forward voltage of the LED in question, as well as the rated amperage. Common 5mm LED's that I've come accross are something like 3v forward voltage and rated for 30mA. R=V/I so 3V/.03A = 100 ohms. This would be the lowest ohm resistor that should be used. You would certainly be safe using something between 220-330ohm, and if they seemed overly dim just lower the resistance slightly until the desired brightness is acheived.

A way to safely determine the resistor for an unknown LED is to get a variable resistor (something like a 102) and adjust it to the max resistance. Hook it up between the power source and LED (it should be very dim) and slowly adjust it down until you see optimal brightness, then raise it back up slightly. At that point you would take a multi-meter and see what the resistance is. Then you could go buy a pack closest to what you found.
Thanks man thats very helpful!!! Im pretty uneducated when it comes to thinking/knowing about elecrical stuff..

running stock honcho lights off 9v battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
running leds and cree lights from fourth channel on receiver? shaggy2112 Electronics 1 02-22-2012 08:37 PM
Stock honcho lights 09 Screw Axial SCX-10 3 12-29-2010 09:44 AM
lights on a honcho LittleDave Axial SCX-10 5 11-16-2010 01:24 PM
Lights running of RX brendan h Electronics 4 09-06-2006 03:24 AM
Got The Jeep Up And Running Again With Lights!! swamped2a General Crawlers 0 11-07-2005 10:11 PM