Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: GQ Nissan Patrol scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #1

Default GQ Nissan Patrol scx10

Well i'm very new to all this but here goes!

A couple months ago i finally found a Nissan Patrol LWB body and i was wrapped..

They arn't mass produced so i jumped at it. When it arrived i was a little disappointed as it came with no window masks, no clear wrap on the outside and no Headlight, Tail light or indicator decales...
If i had the skills and know how of some of the guys on here that wouldn't be an issue..

So i cut it out and made some window masks out out white contact, which became an issue later and taped it up a little ready for paint, which turned out pretty average... These bodies are made out of the same plastic as a coke bottle, maybe why the paint ran so easy.. They are also very thin.

Once painted i took the window masks off to be left with heaps of sticky stuff off the contact, tried to get it off then cracked a wobbly and put it away..

Finally got it out yesterday and cleaned the windows and tinted them, front one still has contact on it.
So here's where i'm up too!

Now i've just sat the body on at the moment, so it's not lined up correctly, it's set up for my Jeep body

With the Patrol i need to sort front and rear bars out, i've cut the rear wheels arches out to much maybe but Luckily i have another body the same, this is the practice body.

This is where i'm stuck though, i need to finish the front details, lights, grill and sort out some tail lights, reverse lights and indicators...

I nearly painted the front black to worry about it after, then i thought to put it on here and see if i can get some ideas or instructions as i would like it to look half descent!
Swamp Dowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: GQ Nissan Patrol scx10

your rig look much better with the jeep body, the other one looks like a blob...
french_connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_connection View Post
your rig look much better with the jeep body, the other one looks like a blob...
Cheers Mate, obviously you didn't read a thing!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

LOL...he is trying to get his 30 posts in. Do you keep a spare tire on the jeep? I see a spot for one on the Nissan, but looks kind of small to fit anything. I am also looking for something out of the ordinary bodywise. But I am running a Honcho and most bodies seem to be a shorter wheelbase, so I will keep looking. Is your other body going to use the same color scheme...looks nice.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
LOL...he is trying to get his 30 posts in. Do you keep a spare tire on the jeep? I see a spot for one on the Nissan, but looks kind of small to fit anything. I am also looking for something out of the ordinary bodywise. But I am running a Honcho and most bodies seem to be a shorter wheelbase, so I will keep looking. Is your other body going to use the same color scheme...looks nice.
Haha, i thought the same thing.
No wheel on the back of the jeep yet as it's a work in progress also. Looking at the rc4wd rear bar with the swinging wheel carrier, hopefully that will work with the patrol also. I had the same problem with bodies as this is a honcho, i brought a Tamiya fj40 and shortened the links and it looked great but i liked the longer wheelbase. Then got the Cherokee but didn't like it much, so i set the honcho up to look good but still just a honcho, then seen the patrol which turned into a mission so i got the jeep which i surprisingly Like.

Not sure on colour for other body, i have a GU patrol which is silvery brown so may try that.

Without all the Masks and decals makes it a mission, also the body is just made by a bloke at home so it's not so great!

Thanks bud!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i used axial light buckets in the back of my xj. cool looking body i have never seen one

DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i used axial light buckets in the back of my xj. cool looking body i have never seen one

Thats an idea, i do have them, also thinking of using the axial front light buckets, just have to sort out how to mount them to stay and look neat. May do some work tomorrow...

Nissan stopped making the GQ Patrol shape in 97-98, then they started The GU Patrol which is the shape of my bronze 1:1 in the pic.

In Australia Patrols and Landcruisers are the dominate 4x4 by Far, Jeeps are around but nothing like the Beasts in the States, our laws are anal...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Yep laws suck here, nice body the patrols are pretty rare. Have a look at some pics but some came out in the two tone top and bottom colour. Like the red and silver. But I reckon a nice darker sort of blue would be cool. But not sure on how it would look with the gold wheels.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

I nearly went the all dark blue, i like the maroon/silvery gold but i do know the next body will be all one colour!

Those wheels were just put on today, waiting and scale bolts and so forth for them and others, i've got 6 new sets of wheels/tires in the last 2 weeks
and still have a set of each on their way so i have too many choices and just 1 car. Addicted to buying wheels and tires, got some nice ones lately, i will post them up once i got all the hardware i'm waiting on..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

lol, I sure read the post, I still think the nissan body is undefined and might be hard to make it look good, I hope you can work something nice out of the body#2, Totally did not meant to be a douche bag, I just wanted to tell you that the jeep body looked better. Its your rig, you do what you want.
french_connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_connection View Post
lol, I sure read the post, I still think the nissan body is undefined and might be hard to make it look good, I hope you can work something nice out of the body#2, Totally did not meant to be a douche bag, I just wanted to tell you that the jeep body looked better. Its your rig, you do what you want.
Ahh, Wee Wee Misure! I understand and i agree, algood, that's why i gave up on it and may put it away again as being a Noob i don't have the skills yet to make it look good, if it can be made to look good!

No frogs legs or snails for me though, only baguettes and french sticks...
Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

This GQ body was originally designed to be done in styrene or abs, much the same as the kamtec bodies. It didn't have full definition due to the fact that it was left for the user to add detail with extra styrene etc.
Due to pressure from customers, the guy who makes them decided to make clear bodies for those who didn't have the skills to work in styrene.
What you have there is one of the first generations after starting to product bodies in clear. They now have much deeper detail and come with paint overspray film which can be cut for window masks. Otherwise, the best product to use is blue masking tape (as with any other lexan body) for masking the windows or paint designs.
When it comes to paint, be sure to thoroughly wash the body first (as with any other lexan body) and use the right type of paint.
You can also use clear plastic primer before painting if using ordinary car paint.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/430479-gq-nissan-patrol-scx10.html
Posted By For Type Date
Nissan Patrol GQ - Page 3 | BoardReader This thread Refback 02-26-2013 11:39 PM
Nissan Patrol GQ | BoardReader This thread Refback 02-26-2013 11:36 PM

GQ Nissan Patrol scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nissan patrol gq rally swb "sandy style" airship 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-08-2012 03:46 PM
nissan patrol GQ-gr "rock Juice" airship 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 09-15-2011 10:34 PM
nissan patrol GQ-gr "rock Juice" airship Videos! 1 06-30-2011 01:41 PM
- Nissan Patrol GR "Luciano Collarini" - Italian Champion XTC 2010 - Gringus1989 1.5 Scale Rigs 2 04-18-2011 06:48 AM
Nissan Patrol body (a.k.a- Nissan Safari)??? electric_revo Paint and Body 20 03-16-2011 05:49 AM