Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What would you recommend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What would you recommend?

I been out of the crawling for some time and was looking to get back into some scale trail/rock. I see there is a few kits,some rtr,some kits like the honcho and dingo are these all the same trucks just different bodies? "not including rtr vs kit"
Looks like axial is the leader in these type of vehicles,but is there any other scale trucks out there that might be better?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What would you recommend?

there are alot of kits out there and if your looking at axial yes most SXC10 kits are pretty much the same just different bodies and wheelnase. I sat pick the body you like the best fron the kits and go from there. You can lookat others like the RC4wd website and find the TF2 and there are many others but I think you will find the Axials the easiest to mod and enjoying crawling.
maxxis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

As of right now I dont have much to add to a kit,like a esc,motor,I have some servos but they are not that great. I see the cost between the rtr and kits are around a $100 difference. I guess my question is are the rtr electronics worth anything? or would I be better off spending that $100 on a esc and putting in the servo I got and upgrade when I can? I also have 1 of those cheap flysky radios on hand,didnt really care for them but I guess it could get me through?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Well, I've an rtr, and I think the electronis are great. I like the esc, the dragbrake is great and the 27T has a bit of wheelspeed and enough torque. The servo is not the strongest but it works fine though. If you get a rtr just screw everything open and put grease in it, there is not much grease in it of factory. ;)
Timo Creemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
As of right now I dont have much to add to a kit,like a esc,motor,I have some servos but they are not that great. I see the cost between the rtr and kits are around a $100 difference. I guess my question is are the rtr electronics worth anything? or would I be better off spending that $100 on a esc and putting in the servo I got and upgrade when I can? I also have 1 of those cheap flysky radios on hand,didnt really care for them but I guess it could get me through?
The electronics that come with the RTR rigs are functional but only have really basic features. For example the AX-3 transmitter has a dual rate steering dial instead of end point adjustments (EPA). The AX-3 is a Flysky radio.

Axial AX-3 Review and tear down

On the flip side, buying better electronics is going to cost you more than $100. A Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Expert 35T motor / BRXL ESC combo is $135. A Hitec hs-7954sh servo runs about $80.00 and a radio around $150. The total comes to around $350 or $250 more than the RTR.

It comes down to what you can afford, how much you think you will really use your rig and if the better performing electronics is worth it for you.

Last edited by k7zpj; 04-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You know I like the kits iy may take a little longet to build but yoy save a little buying a kit vs an rtr and you can put that money to the electronics of your choice and you also get the knowledge of how it goes together which woll make troubleshooting easier. Also you buy the electronics of your choice bc the one in the rtr is very basic and not to sturdy I dropped the rtr axial ax-3 radio once and broke the pistol grip. And thw battery teay hung out. The tx and rx was the first to go. The stock esc is really nice and drag brake works great. And I even like the stock 27t motor but as far as brand go ill be honest I think axial is king. Tho I do like the tf2
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I was looking through my parts and I do have a older CC sidewinder "Looks alot like what comes in the RTR,is it the sidewinder?" I also have the castle link so I can set the brake and run BL or brushed. Might not be the best but I think it will be fine for me?
Does the dingo have plastic bodied shocks? I notice like on the honcho and other they mention aluminum,Is that why the Dingo is the cheapest kit? Would I be best off avoiding the Dingo?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was looking through my parts and I do have a older CC sidewinder "Looks alot like what comes in the RTR,is it the sidewinder?" I also have the castle link so I can set the brake and run BL or brushed. Might not be the best but I think it will be fine for me?
Does the dingo have plastic bodied shocks? I notice like on the honcho and other they mention aluminum,Is that why the Dingo is the cheapest kit? Would I be best off avoiding the Dingo?
The SCX-10 kits are the Dingo and the Jeep Rubicon. The Honcho is now comes only as a RTR.

The Jeep has a few extras like the aluminum shocks and the Poison Spyder bumpers and fender flares. However, the Jeep costs more to cover the extras.

If you want a Jeep, then go with the Jeep kit.

If you want the Dingo body or some other body , I would go with the Dingo kit. That way you won't be paying for upgrade parts you won't use.

Last edited by k7zpj; 04-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You might also look in classifieds or othrr places such as ebayfor a cheaper buy. The dingo in my opinio is nice but i like the longer wheel bse of the hincho but its ur preference if u like the dingo anf it is a fine rig go with it or if u like the jeep which imo is what I prefer get it if u have an unlimited budget get the a kit elec tronics snd w.e upgrades u like and build it. Also if u like dingo u can lengthen the whrelbase by getting aluminum link kit
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I was looking for used trucks and came across a dingo rtr, Well I see the dingo is only in kit form and they said it came pre built and rtr from the factory? Could this be a older one that perhaps they came rtr and now they are only kits?
If they did indeed come rtr and some time,Do they differ from current rtr electronics or parts? Is this old and out of date,in other words should I stay away?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was looking for used trucks and came across a dingo rtr, Well I see the dingo is only in kit form and they said it came pre built and rtr from the factory? Could this be a older one that perhaps they came rtr and now they are only kits?
If they did indeed come rtr and some time,Do they differ from current rtr electronics or parts? Is this old and out of date,in other words should I stay away?
Yes, the Dingo in the past was offered as an RTR. It all depends on how much they are asking for it and what kind of condition it is in. The rule of thumb is to pay no more than 1/2 new price for used rigs in good condition.
If it has the AE-1 ESC and AX-2 radio then it is worth a bit less than if it had the newer electronics.

Here is the link to Axial's Legacy products so you can see what was included with each kit.
Axial Racing - legacy

Last edited by k7zpj; 04-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yea they want $300 shipped but it is brand new and never used,,but im thinking for that price for a few bucks more get the modern honcho or jeep rtr. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yea they want $300 shipped but it is brand new and never used,,but im thinking for that price for a few bucks more get the modern honcho or jeep rtr. Thanks for the help!
That is one to walk away from.

You can get the Honcho RTR at TowerHobby with the Member discount for $306 including shipping.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

the dingo has a shorter wheelbase than the honcho
ochevys54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The new rtr silver honcho would be a great starter vehicle. It comes with the newer speed control ( that has the castle link settings). The better radio(2.4ghz),a better servo (still light duty) but decent . The motor is a 27 turn, it's good ,useable. It has the longer wheelbase which means it will climb better stock. Mods would be an upgrade to the axial aluminum link kit. An aluminum servo arm. When the motor goes out a holmes hobbies 27 turn trail master. Bead lock wheels, proline tsl1.9 tires.
The silver dingo rtr was made with the 2.4 radio, and the made by castle (axial) speed control but was very rare. It could be an older one with an older radio?
The silver rtr honcho is priced at 355.00 a good price. The jeep rtr approximately 65.00 more. If you are wanting the jeep the body kit seperately is 90.00 so it would be better to buy it up front. Either one is the same (long) wheelbase. The dingo is the short wheelbase. I prefer the long wheelbase.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Get the new honcho for thst price or even the jeep
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

lol,Im back again with a few more questions. I counted the dingo out,Now its between the jeeps and the honcho,and Maybe a wraith? So just to make sure the honcho rtr and the jeep rtr are pretty much identical besides body and bumpers correct? Does the RTR jeep also come with the jeep body with removable top like on the kit,or only the kit has the extra top? I pretty much have to buy from my local hobbytown because I have a $230 in store credit. If I were just buying it outright somewhere I would probably go with the kit of the jeep as I have some stuff laying around to getting it up and going and it would be on par with a rtr anyway,and I want those aluminum links! What would the links cost to switch all of the plastic over to aluminum?
But as of now the only kit they have is of the wraith,Another question is could the wraith and a scale crawler compete in the same class going by rules,I dont know much about the rules and looked them over and looks like it would meet some requirements but it doesnt look like the chassis is the same as a scale,So those of you that go to competitions would the stock wraith be able to compete in a scale trail class?

What would you recommend? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what do you recommend? adamlee78 Newbie General 5 11-22-2010 03:36 AM
Recommend a servo for around $75 lt. Electronics 10 02-20-2010 12:54 PM
What do you recommend? Dcrawler Tires and Wheels 4 09-19-2009 04:40 PM
Recommend me a charger crawlmaxx Electronics 40 05-17-2008 10:32 PM