Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first scx10. A dingo kit...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Default My first scx10. A dingo kit...

Collective itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My first scx10. A dingo kit...

Red looks pretty good on that Dingo! What paint is that?
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes you did a nice paint job. The red works when you do it right.
What wheel nuts are those? They are working fine!
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
Red looks pretty good on that Dingo! What paint is that?
Thanks, it's tamiya flat red. Great colour
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
Yes you did a nice paint job. The red works when you do it right.
What wheel nuts are those? They are working fine!
The wheels nuts are the stock lock nuts, with the plastic covers that screw on. It's a nice touch isn't it?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I kinda like the no-windshield look on this. Looks good. Any mods planned? Battery placement, weighted wheels, etc.?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #7

Hi sixty , already weighted the wheels with some lead sheet wrapped around wheels when building. Found it quite hard to fit the lead in the middle groove on the the stock wheels, and get the tyres seated properly. Only went with 2.5 ounces on front, and 1 ounce on rears. Did this for duration, and to try and keep component wear down. I have my ridgcrest with a lot more weight, and it munches through battery power! Yeah I want to move the battery up front, unsure of the best option, may try the suggestion in the manual to start.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

I seem to be having my link pop off at rear. What's the best solution to this. Also what the best solution to put the battery up front?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've ran my battery in the rear at first build and couldn't climb very well. Then I mounted the tray in the front above the servo and radio box. That was so much better. Now I made a homemade aluminum mount (Jevne Racing plate US$50), did a host of waterproofing and have yet to go out to try it. This will place my battery behind the front shock towers and before the motor/trans. Work has been too busy lately and no time to play. Try all three! It was a great learning experience to try various setups.
As for your rear link problem, is the alu link separating from the plastic rod end? If so, perhaps using a new rod end (in the kit) may work. Pics?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
I've ran my battery in the rear at first build and couldn't climb very well. Then I mounted the tray in the front above the servo and radio box. That was so much better. Now I made a homemade aluminum mount (Jevne Racing plate US$50), did a host of waterproofing and have yet to go out to try it. This will place my battery behind the front shock towers and before the motor/trans. Work has been too busy lately and no time to play. Try all three! It was a great learning experience to try various setups.
As for your rear link problem, is the alu link separating from the plastic rod end? If so, perhaps using a new rod end (in the kit) may work. Pics?
yeh im gonna have a play, and see what works, just moved it to above the radio box as per the manual, see how i get on with that. no the y shaped plastic piece that connects to the axle was coming detached from the axle. the screw and ball was just pulling through the mounting hole in the axle case. i fixed twice on the trail, and have now made a 4 link setup using some left overs in the kit. its late here in uk, so will try to post piks tomorrow. had a blast with it today though, great kit apart form that!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

not mine, but i did what conklinator did in this thread...
4 link scx10
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I 4 linked my rear axle when I built the Dingo kit last week, it worked really well at the GTG last Sunday. I found that the wheel base didn't line up exactly with the wheel openings on the body, I had to shorten my rear links by about 8mm.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #13

hi bigski, what parts did you use when you 4 linked? i only used the parts i had laying around from the kit
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

+1, go 4-link, and use metal ball ends (like Traxxas) with some all-thread rod to customize length. I stuck with stock alu lowers but made the front and rear upper links, just so I could get the pinion angle just right for clearance. The plastic balls just don't last. There should be a 4-link truss in the box, I hope.
By the way, did you get the headlight buckets with your kit?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #15

I did the 4 link mod as conklinator did in the thread I posted above, using only extras that came in the kit, as I don't have any Ali tubing or threaded rod lying around. Is there any drawback to having my axle leaned back due to using the plastic upper links from the extra part tree?
Yeh my light buckets came in the bag with the antenna pipe and axial markers. In my haste to paint the shell, I forgot to mount them!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective itch View Post
hi bigski, what parts did you use when you 4 linked? i only used the parts i had laying around from the kit
My kit came with a pair of the 4 link trusses, I cut down the stock lower links to center the rear axle in the wheel well better and I found some old links in my spare parts box that I used for the uppers.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #17

Sweet ride!
AvriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
My kit came with a pair of the 4 link trusses, I cut down the stock lower links to center the rear axle in the wheel well better and I found some old links in my spare parts box that I used for the uppers.
im still quite new to this tbh, and dont know what i should be aiming for when i cut links down, or what links i need to get for the uppers
whats the draw backs of running it like this, using the extra parts from the kit that i used? as you can see the axle is now tilted back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvriX View Post
Sweet ride!
thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I 4 linked my rear axle when I built the Dingo kit last week, it worked really well at the GTG last Sunday. I found that the wheel base didn't line up exactly with the wheel openings on the body, I had to shorten my rear links by about 8mm.

I found the same issue with mine. I bought the axial aluminum link kit back when I got my RTR Dingo. I found the lowers were to long also. Wheels weren't centered and rear drive shaft to the axle connection was at a bad angle. Found out to late, actually ruined my junfac drive shaft. Was hitting everything and it just kept falling apart after a while. I only shortened mine by 5mm though.
Scor1pion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #20

if anything im finding the lowers are too short?
confused..anyway im just making some home made upper links, and will leave the lower lengths stock length..
piks in about 10 mins and feedback welcome....

My first scx10. A dingo kit... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 Jeep kit vs Dingo kit Erichiu Axial SCX-10 14 03-02-2013 08:06 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
axial SCX10 dingo kit RCGecko General Scale Talk 5 05-23-2012 01:15 PM
Need some advice got my SCX10 Dingo kit natskiboy Axial SCX-10 105 05-07-2012 05:47 AM