Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first Scale RC!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Default My first Scale RC!

I have been wanting a scale rig for a long time. But with everything else going on in life i never was able to get one. I recently bought this SCX-10 from a friend. It's not perfect by any means, but it sure is a good start. It has several nice(ish) parts on it. I didn't know anything about Scale trucks about 3 weeks ago. I found this site and found out so much good information that I decided to join. Welp, enough about me. Onto some pic-tors!

ScaleCrawlerFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Default Re: My first Scale RC!

Well SOB... I had a nice description and plans typed out and i dont know what happened to them. So here it goes again lol

I have some pretty ambitious plans for this little guy. It started life as a Dingo. The previous owner put a Honcho body on it. As you can see the paint job stinks. I am lookin for some good flat tan paint if you know of anything besides the hobby store 7 bucks a can stuff. There is a Traxxas waterproof steering servo that will stay. Its also lifted, has metal driveshafts Front and rear. There is a 8 LED light kit on it that needs rewired. It flickers quite a bit. Im not sure what ESC is in it because i havent taken the balloons off yet. Not sure on the battery because the sticker is gone.

Now onto plans. I have a proline 4 door silverado body that i want to run on this. I bought some 8/32 allthread and some 1/4 inch alum tubing along with the traxxas rod ends to make some longer links for it. Hopefully the driveshaft will extend long enough to run it but im not optimistic lol. I also want to build some tube bumpers and possibly an EXO for the new body. Might want to go with some taller 1.9's or go with 2.2's. Not real sure yet. If funding allows it, I want to run a dig unit and 4 wheel steer. Well thats all i can think of off hand. I have gotten a lot of good info off of here, so i figured i would post up. I knew nothing of RC rigs until about 3 weeks ago when i found this site. If anyone has any questions just ask! Thanks for reading my rambling on lol
Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
In the band for now.

ditch the traxxas servo , its the biggest POS out there . waterproof or not there useless , they run plastic gears. not nearly enough power for a scaler . other than that not a bad rig. also start looking for a new motor that rc4wd one thats in there is a cheapo $10 can motor wont last much longer than the servo. best thing to do is start reading up on your new rig.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This site can be very helpful. I have also heard the same about the traxxas servo as well. I'm interested on seeing how this build pans out. It's always nice to see another Chevy scaler out there. I'm running the ext cab Chevy body.
Solid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #5

Well, i did a little teardown tonight. Talk about a big PITA! About a mile of electrical tape and 40 zip ties.

There was also a lot of black tape inside the body. I am going to try the brake fluid trick to get the remainder of the paint out. Then I will probably paint the honcho body for some good practice.

And after i read your posts, i went and checked the gear on the servo. It is def almost toothless now. :(

I did find that it has a dynamite ESC and the Traxxas TQi receiver and radio.

I am pretty good with wiring so that will be the first thing i start on.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ditch the bumper. They are too big and they get stuck on and under things. You will learn to hate it.

Have fun and disregard anything anyone says to you that you don't like. Even the bumper comment above if you like the bumper

Sent from my PG86100 with Tapatalk 2
I <3 Tekin
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I like the paint job. Looks like it survived a engine fire.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

welcome aboard!
and great start....prepare for the worst....OPEN your wallet cuz you wont stop once you start hehe
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Yeah the poor bumper is too big and sticks out too far. Before i ditch it completely i might relocate it in toward the body and up. The brake fluid paint removal trick is about 2 hours in. I took a couple pictures but im too lazy to upload and post em. I picked up a roll of heat shrink tubing to start on the wiring process. I also picked up some colored LED's. Got 2 yellows and two reds to replace 2 pairs of the white lights. Not needed at all but i think the different colors might be cool. Well I lied about the pics. Here are a few of this evening.

Last edited by ScaleCrawlerFNG; 06-10-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
welcome aboard!
and great start....prepare for the worst....OPEN your wallet cuz you wont stop once you start hehe
Tell me about it.. I've been lookin at the the new holmes esc and a torquemaster
crawlmaster motor. My wife is going to learn to hate this like she hates my Camaro and Raptor haha!!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #11

And sorry about the craptastic quality of the pics.. i need to clean the lens on my phone lol.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm starting a build similar to yours, check it out. Might give you a little help: New to me SCX10.

Good luck
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

did the brake fluid trick worked?if not u can use some nitro also
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Nice to see a neglected AND abused SCX10 being rescued and rehabilitated. For just a few dollars a day you are helping this truck have a happy and fun filled future.

Looks good so far. Interested to see where you end up.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #15

Well the brake fluid trick started to work. Maybe i need to let it set for a while. There must have been about 10 coats of paint in there haha. Didnt take any pics of it though.

But i did do some more teardown and cleaning last night. The near pile is dirty and the far one is clean.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #16

Well i havent been on here in a while. Been busy with that thing called life. Got it all apart and cleaned and inspected. There were a lot of mismatched screw heads and general messiness inside lol. I thought that the axles would be full of water but they were actually clean and full of marine grease.

It got stripped down to the rails and everything was painted. I wanted something a lil different than black so i broke out some krylon ultra flat tan, black, and green. I like the way it turned out pretty well.

The body was trashed inside from the other paint job sooo its painted on the outside now. Cleaned it up really good, scuffed it up and painted it. Used some duplicolor adhesion promoter and sprayed on a few coats of ultra flat green. I figured that once it cured all the way it would be really brittle. Not so at all. I can basically twist the body onto itself and it doesnt crack or flake at all. I still have to make my rear 4 link and do all the wiring. Should be able to do that this week sometime. I also modified the front bumper so its not a gigantic everything hitter.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

if i were you iw ould throw some 2.2.......for me it seems that those wheels are undersized,but hey,it's just my opinion
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
did the brake fluid trick worked?if not u can use some nitro also
dont use nitro fuel it will eat away at the lexan i found that out when i done my honcho body it makes the lexan a bit brittle and i now have stress cracks all over my body but i dont really care as its now has a beater paintjob and some dents using a lighter to heat it up and then press the part in you want done works great.

if you run 2.2`s you may have to rasie the body abit higher as the front wheels will rub the fenders near the doors
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #19

That is still a very lightweight roller. No electronics or motor so it should weigh it down some and look better. If not ill lower it some. Carb cleaner does the same thing as nitro i guess haha!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #20

If you cut out the small lugs on those tires, it will really improve the grip, I did on mine, and made a big difference
ben297 is offline   Reply With Quote

My first Scale RC! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ Scale 2.2 Robby Gordon Beadlocks: VP SLWs + FREE Scale Hubs! STANG KILLA SS Vendors Tires and wheels 141 01-26-2016 01:39 PM