Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first scaler adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile My first scaler adventure

I have always owned fast RC trucks, never a scaler or crawler. I decided to branch out and get a SCX10 rubicon and prolly went a little overboard with cost on this... here are a couple pics from my first adventure at a local park.. I can take detailed pics if you wanna see anything in it. I have a lotta vanquish parts, rock beast 1.9s, mounted the battery up in front of motor as low as i can, got the currie axles, winch. Vanquish light bar plus JK head n tail light kit, all mount and glued under the body. Love it so far.

Jury is still out on the currie axles, used them once and thinking about trying the plastic ones and selling the curries, we'll see.

Any tips for getting water out of foams? I have holes in tires, and drove it through a creek. Should I just take the wheels apartment and let them dry everytime or can i just throw them on my SCTE and blast them.

Also, any good tips for balancing the foams? Some of my tires wobble and I can seem to fix it lol.

uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My first scaler adventure

May not be the foams. I can't tell what wheels you have by your photo's. If they're bead locks, the tire bead may not be seated correctly. If they're glued, maybe an uneven glue job. Keep your axle nuts tight too. Welcome to trails and crawling.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

This is just my opinion and only my opinion but Currie axles are over rated. Major big time heavy duty bling factor. They do look impressive. As far as a performance enhancer not so much. Figure it this way. Aluminum is soft. Grabby. Plastic is harder and smoother therby slipier. So in my opinion you pay a lot to get hung up on a rock everyone else with plastic axle housings go over easily. It won't take long for that great aluminum machine finish to start looking like poopie doodie. Stock axle housings with Beef Tubes and aluminum chubs with stock CVDs are a stronger, cheaper and better crawling setup. So if you were considering selling them, do it. You should have enough money left over to buy more parts and a beer.
It does sound like a well put together truck. Have fun with it and welcome to the addiction!
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

uclabruins89,
Looks like a nice little creek. The Rubicon looks great so far. Diggin the sleeping bags and rolls.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well you definitely have a nice first crawler, are those Vanquish OMFs?
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTRUX View Post
Well you definitely have a nice first crawler, are those Vanquish OMFs?
Yes.

I'll post a lot more close up pics tomorrow (maybe tonight), in the process of putting it back together. Planning to waterproof it this weekend. I def went all out with my first scaler, bought every upgrade before I ever even drove the stock. 50% of stock parts were never even used lol.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins89 View Post
Yes.

I'll post a lot more close up pics tomorrow (maybe tonight), in the process of putting it back together. Planning to waterproof it this weekend. I def went all out with my first scaler, bought every upgrade before I ever even drove the stock. 50% of stock parts were never even used lol.
Nice, can't go wrong with Vanquish
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here are a lot more pics of my first rig. Hard to see the brake lights in the "lights on" pics. Can show anything in detail if anyone is curious about this build. I am working on moving the electronics up front somewhere for weight. Maybe a Jevne battery plate is in the future, as it should clear the servo on the axle. Don't think I'm gonna do the Vanquish CMS unless anyone has a good argument for it. The winch is hooked up to the radio trim button on MT4, with 4 speed settings, in fast, in slow, stop, out fast. Love it! The two light systems are hooked up with a 4 pin deans connector when I attach the body, and the wiring is attached to the body using Shoe Goo. I still need to waterproof the entire system, including light systems.

Dont be too critical I only got into scalers 3 weeks ago lol. Was into the short course thing for a couple months before that.

Last edited by uclabruins89; 07-04-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looking good, put some door lines,hood lines and It'll be perfect.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbing View Post
Looking good, put some door lines,hood lines and It'll be perfect.
I dunno if I have a smooth enough hand to free hand lines.. Any tips for getting smooth drawn lines with a sharpie?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins89 View Post
I dunno if I have a smooth enough hand to free hand lines.. Any tips for getting smooth drawn lines with a sharpie?
I myself have bad hands, look at my jeep pics in the new tsl xl threads and you can see its not straight...lol
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #12

you can always use an acrylic paint wash to do the panel lines.
DBoger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Bump any other comments or anything? Have no RC friends to talk nerd with haha
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Is the vanquish light bar powered by the same battery you run the rig off of?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTRUX View Post
Is the vanquish light bar powered by the same battery you run the rig off of?
Yeah LEDs are low power so I'm never too worried about it. I have 1 5000mah and 2 3000mag 3s batteries. Never have a problem with batteries running out quickly, as I can barely manage to go a couple hours without wanting to come relax in the AC. I don't even get through 1 battery in that time.

I've never ran without the bar so can't do a comparison as to how much faster it runs the battery. All i've read is LEDs are low power so don't worry about it
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Nice Jeep, you need to get a friend hooked on crawling also. The draw of the led,s is minimal, but I think that light bar was designed to run at 7+ volts, and a lot of us are curious to see what it looked like off stock bec...It is bright as hell, very nice man.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40jay View Post
Nice Jeep, you need to get a friend hooked on crawling also. The draw of the led,s is minimal, but I think that light bar was designed to run at 7+ volts, and a lot of us are curious to see what it looked like off stock bec...It is bright as hell, very nice man.
It's designed to run of 3s, i was just curious if he wired it with the main pack or ran a separate smaller 3s
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Awesome jeep. +1 on getting rid of the curries though, every aluminum axle housing I've run had gotten hung up 3x as fast as stock resin housings. Just my 2c
Catlover3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover3178 View Post
Awesome jeep. +1 on getting rid of the curries though, every aluminum axle housing I've run had gotten hung up 3x as fast as stock resin housings. Just my 2c
Yeah i've been debating this all day. I do think I get hung up a little more, but they look sweet.

Just put the stocks on and gotta get another 4 link truss before I can finish, but now that I packed both full with marine grease I kind of want to put the curries back on haha. I cant decide!!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

So I stuck with the curries, they are just too cool.

But for an update to my build, i broke the fragile roof rack so am looking into replacements. I'm possibly adding another vanquish light bar to the roof rack for some ridiculous front lights. Also planning to add 2 led bars to the sliders pointing down for some rock lights, and possible some sort of downward light in the rear. Will probably also use vanquish bars for that but we'll see.

I'll post pics as I purchase and install the new light systems. Going to do the slider led bars first along with the roof rack. Not sure yet if a 5" vanquish light bar is overkill right above the 6" bar, but i'll think about it.

My first scaler adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RcBros adventure! RcBro Scale Nationals 25 10-01-2012 06:18 PM
fj-40 adventure CIELO Scale Videos! 0 12-27-2011 02:24 AM
R.E.C.O.N. Adventure Series DRIVNMF Recon G6 53 06-16-2010 01:17 AM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM