Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First Paint Job and uncut body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First Paint Job and uncut body

Hey gang. Just my first go at painting and cutting a body. Having trouble getting the Baja claws to fit right. anyone have any advice on where to trim or what to do. I would like to keep rubbing to a minimum if not eliminate it while keeping as much of the body lines as possible.
Attached Images

RyanRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First Paint Job and uncut body

the Baja claws are a pretty big tire. I would say you will just have to keep trimming a little at a time until they clear.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok did some more trimming be honest does it look weird?
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I think you did a great job. If you look around the site you'll find some major hack jobs. The important thing is that it performs the way you want it.
mncrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I think it looks much better, particularly the fenders... not too sure about the notches on the front
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Loco View Post
I think it looks much better, particularly the fenders... not too sure about the notches on the front
Tire clearance is an issue. this is a practice body. the b pillars were crushed in shipping when the new body get here I want to do it right the first time. you thing instead of notches I should angle it to the from or just take that whole segment out all the way across? where the notches are has to go or the claws rip into it.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I figured that was the reason. What about a single arch starting right below the headlights down to the bottom, right where the first diagonal cut is now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: First Paint Job and uncut body

It doesn't look weird it just looks like all crawler with giant tires u end up with no fenders or rubbing that's the name of the game or u could just run smaller tires lol
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I think it looks great, except I THINK you have your tires on backwards. the "V" pattern should be pointing into the ground as you go forward.
HPI-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think it looks great ryan. good job.

HPI-Killer:
as far as his tires being on backwards. that way gives them more of a paddle affect in the dirt.

the "V" forward is great for in the mud for cleanout affect.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

^^Oh okay I see, not too often you can flip tires and get a differant ball game.
HPI-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI-Killer View Post
^^Oh okay I see, not too often you can flip tires and get a differant ball game.
If you mount 1:1 iRoks it'll help with the slippery stuff as well. I don't know about the 1:10 scale tire though.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
If you mount 1:1 iRoks it'll help with the slippery stuff as well. I don't know about the 1:10 scale tire though.
Yea warren and rookie both put iroks on their scale rigs and told me to get a set... being the noob i wanted to try the mickey's out ( love the look ) wish I had gotten the iroks. I'm running these a lot though won't be long before I need a new set of skin's. I will either send my cut n shut tsl's in to be reworked or order a set of irok 1.9's. I have to admit though prolines new TSL SX swamper XL is in the running. Might just get both. the wife needs a good set of upgrades for the jeep
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

i think it looks good, i love the way you trimmed the front bumper portion of the body!! as stated above, the taller 1.9's usually require trimming if you want to keep the body low on the chassis.. i've ran 1.9 iroks and they were great...but...if i ever get another set of irok's , they will be the 1.7 iroks and i'll stretch them onto 1.9 wheels..in my opinion the 1.9 version was a little too tall for my liking..but 1.7's on the 1.9 wheels look great..also, have you thought of trepadors? they are thinner than the baja claws and fit better with the f250 cab..in my opinion anyways, and they look good and work great for me...here's a shot of mine with them..they rub just the slightest at full articulation...but nothing that effects handling..or hurts the body on mine..

i got the cab trimmed like it was, i haven't done any of the trimming myself..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc597 View Post
i think it looks good, i love the way you trimmed the front bumper portion of the body!! as stated above, the taller 1.9's usually require trimming if you want to keep the body low on the chassis.. i've ran 1.9 iroks and they were great...but...if i ever get another set of irok's , they will be the 1.7 iroks and i'll stretch them onto 1.9 wheels..in my opinion the 1.9 version was a little too tall for my liking..but 1.7's on the 1.9 wheels look great..also, have you thought of trepadors? they are thinner than the baja claws and fit better with the f250 cab..in my opinion anyways, and they look good and work great for me...here's a shot of mine with them..they rub just the slightest at full articulation...but nothing that effects handling..or hurts the body on mine..

i got the cab trimmed like it was, i haven't done any of the trimming myself..
thanks man I dig the look. Doesn't look like that body has seen the rocks yet mines allready beat to hell.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRay View Post

thanks man I dig the look. Doesn't look like that body has seen the rocks yet mines allready beat to hell.
Haha nope..lol.. it had 1 run on it when I got It and I've only had a chance to run It once at my little rock garden/trail...but It will get it's share of scratches..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote

First Paint Job and uncut body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My clod body paint job! ssobel80 Paint and Body 34 10-19-2012 09:58 PM
Want to see your Chevy Hard Body paint job... Da Hermit Paint and Body 15 10-05-2012 03:05 PM
Not a crawler body but still a paint job MnRockCrawler Paint and Body 9 02-22-2010 10:36 PM
FIrst full body with masks Paint job chivas72 Paint and Body 1 03-23-2007 06:18 PM