Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Just a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just a few questions.

Hello Everyone,

New to the forums here. First time posting (aside from some pictures in the sticky) with a few battery related questions regarding my still new SCX-10 Rubicon.

I have been running it with a venom 2s 5000MaH lipo. Had to swap out the drive shafts almost immediately with that setup as it was twisting the wild boars like mad. Ran fine after some shiny new MIP shafts though. I have been hard bashing it on trails, rocks, and mud for the past few weeks. Getting a solid 1 1/12 runtime a pack and often much more.

Today I took it to the local scaler course and smoked the stock 27t motor while powering through some mud. Decided that I didn't need all that wheel speed anyway and ordered myself a 55t. Is the switch to the 55t going to show me any drop in run times?

I am also looking at picking up an RC4WD wireless winch. I was thinking of just soldering up a Y connector and hooking it to the same lipo running the truck. Pretty much the same question, will this significantly effect my run times? Also, will it even work properly without a BEC?

Anyway that about sums it up for my silly questions for tonight. Glad to be here. Some really amazing trucks you all have. I am really starting to love this hobby.

Cheers,
Dick
Mrdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Just a few questions.

1 1/2 for a 5000 mah?? twisted shaft with a 2s? you sir have a strong finger. LOL. My Honcho with a 2s 4000 mAh battery gives me 3 1/2 hours runtime. I have my honcho since april and still with the stock RTR shafts.

I think the 55T will give better runtimes.
Rorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorro View Post
1 1/2 for a 5000 mah?? twisted shaft with a 2s? you sir have a strong finger. LOL. My Honcho with a 2s 4000 mAh battery gives me 3 1/2 hours runtime. I have my honcho since april and still with the stock RTR shafts.

I think the 55T will give better runtimes.
Its probably closer to over 2 hours, but I never really clocked it properly.

Twisted shafts though? Oh yea, two sets before I picked up the MIP ones. I got into the hobby with a brushless stadium truck, so i didn't really think much of zipping around on my first set and they were dead in no time flat. The second set just kept twisting doing slow hiking/moderate crawling once I started driving properly. If i can get better runtimes that what I already have on a 55t I will be in heaven. Some nice long hikes will be in my future.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have the Axial 55t in my scaler and it will give you longer run times with your battery. I run mine with 2s and 3s. 3s is just plain fun!
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdick View Post
Hello Everyone,

New to the forums here. First time posting (aside from some pictures in the sticky) with a few battery related questions regarding my still new SCX-10 Rubicon.
Welcome to this forum Mr. Dick !? (just wanted to type that)

Quote:
I have been running it with a venom 2s 5000MaH lipo. Had to swap out the drive shafts almost immediately with that setup as it was twisting the wild boars like mad. Ran fine after some shiny new MIP shafts though. I have been hard bashing it on trails, rocks, and mud for the past few weeks. Getting a solid 1 1/12 runtime a pack and often much more.
swear I got 5 plus hours running a 130 gate G6 night run using my stock Honcho RTR with a no name brand 5000 (2S) Lipo.
You must 'ave spun the wheels constantly and never let go the trigger !? Lol

My son and I each recently purchased a RTR Honcho...
neither of us has destroyed the stk drive shafts..
And my son is reckless and errant on his...
surprisingly he has broken nothing

~drive shaft cheap trick~
Trick is to put a dowel inside the inner shaft...
some use 6mm all-thread instead.
I used wood doweling that fit in snug.
Doing this will minimize spline twist or shaft fold under heavy torque loads.
But when a tire is wedged between some rocks or junk...
Holding the throttle wfo is not the greatest of ideas.

I keep telling my son that last...
but he ignores me, 'cuz nothing has broke on his junk... yet. Lol

Quote:
Today I took it to the local scaler course and smoked the stock 27t motor while powering through some mud. Decided that I didn't need all that wheel speed anyway and ordered myself a 55t. Is the switch to the 55t going to show me any drop in run times?
The 55T really is slow with a 2S... (flatter but smoother torque response IMO)
But throw in a 3S and it's a whole new ball game.
Like going from a 4 banger to a v-8... 'cept it's still not fast.
But torque for crawlin' is really nice.
The 3S also ups the wheel speed with the increased torque.

The 55T will give you more run time...
with the 2S and even yer errant throttle finger. Lol

Using a 3S may reduce run time slightly... but not by a whole lot.

Quote:
I am also looking at picking up an RC4WD wireless winch. I was thinking of just soldering up a Y connector and hooking it to the same lipo running the truck. Pretty much the same question, will this significantly effect my run times? Also, will it even work properly without a BEC?
get a BEC
not sure about other brands...
but the Castle Creation bec can be adjusted for voltage.
Using your PC w/link... (not manually hand adjusted)
There is a 10 amp unit... and then a larger capacity one
but I forgot the amp rating on that one.

Quote:
Cheers,

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 08-04-2013 at 01:41 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the great info!

I figured a BEC was in order for the winch. Couldn't hurt at least.

Since I already have the 55t on order I am going to give it a go and see how I like the speed. I don't think I am going to miss it, but a little extra might be helpful on certain parts of our local course and trailing. I have been eyeballing some Holmes Hobbies setups. I'll likely switch to a 35t if I do, I think overall 27 was just too much for me.

My crazy driving is what likely caused most of my issues, but now that I think about it my daughter driving it probably helped it along a good bit. When she was learning she was mostly pulsing the trigger rather than just lightly pulling it to move forward. So there was a lot of jerking start/stops and half wheelies going on.

Just a few questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lipo questions with charger questions can you all help champ198 Electronics 16 05-02-2013 01:24 PM
lipo questions with charger questions can you all help champ198 Electronics 0 04-30-2013 05:54 PM
A few questions ROCKST*R Axial Wraith 9 05-12-2012 03:08 PM
M8 Questions Cajunbrn Electronics 0 10-28-2009 06:56 PM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM