Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Junkyard Dog - Scrap Parts Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Junkyard Dog - Scrap Parts Dingo

well I've been wanting a scx10 for a while now because they look more fun then the comp crawlers and my ridgecrest os to far from either to be made a scaler or a compcrawler with a reasonable budget.

last week I picked up a pile of parts (which the seller was nice enough to mostly put together in an effort to see just what if anything was missing to complete a rig) and a used dingo body with metal bumpers and winch in the classified. took about a week to get together and another 100-150 bucks to get the tires I wanted and shocks that would work (ones that came with it were way to long and stiff, I may give em a shot on my ridgecrest though to see what happens). I stole the electronic fromy my ridgecrest and will be trying to get the esc to work that came with the parts and put it in that.

took it out this weekend on the trails at the campground (forgot the memory card for the camera so no pictures) and for what it is I'm really impressed. I'll get some pictures when I get home from work though its still pretty rough, I'm not even sure if I'm goign to work prettying it up yet.

parts list so far.
bucket o scx-10 parts.
modified dingo body
pit bull rock beast tires on gmade vr01 wheels (no weights yet and these wheels suck, with out even getting the wheels stuck I've already had the back wheels spinning in the thin shallow socket)
gmade hubs (bit if a pita to get on but do look good. am running without the black caps untill needed for a comp)
proline 95mm shocks.

pictures to be added tonight.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 08-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Junkyard Dog - Scrap Parts Dingo

Want to see it.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Pictures?
StEv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

finally got a few pictures that were taken on the trail today. first real time takign it out so there was only really 1 change that was made. battery was located in the front. I took out the long plastic spacers and used 2 small alum ones to drop the tray down ontop of the reciever box (which is actually top less with the esc in it because it wouldn't close with the skeptrum reciever in it)

need to get alittle weight in the wheels, specially the back. and some metal driveshafts. think I also need to vent the reciever box to allow more air movement and to allow water out.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 08-26-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

CI foams come in... few more pictures... though you can;t see the foams the banner is all bunggeed into place

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

going to be trying to get her water ready. have a holmes waterproofed esc ordered. planning to dip the rec in liquid tape once I find some short leads for it. need to find some dielectric grease to try and waterproof the servo. also thinking about coating everything neverwet as an extra layer of protection.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

took her out to a comp saterday.on the first course I did real bad. the second bad but more what I was expecting out of my first try at driving in a scale comp (and only my second with trying to comp at all) and on the third course I actually had the best time and only came in second due to more scale points.

pretty good considering the problems the rig had and things I've not gotten to yet. (way to firm foams no wheel weights and standard knuckles with 1/2 the steering of anyone else lol)

popped both driveshafts out, one before the comp, one mins after. the second one actually cracked the ear so it will not stay in place. I'll have to find a fix for this and some weights and try to be ready for the comp this weekend.

here's some pictures.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

having transmission problems, you can see the transmission flex post to read about that.

got my holmes esc installed and calibrated, 2 transmissions torn down and rebuilt into 1. pindrives out on the transmission like I wanted but no pin grubs so I can't test anything. also got pin drive inputs to install in the axles but that will have to wait till this weekend sometime.

2 of the screw holes to mount the transmission to the skidplate were stripped... so I coated the screws in shock oil put 3 drops of CA glue in each hole. stirred it around with a paperclip then screwed em in. am hoping the shock oil will keep the CA glue from sticking to the screws and let it stick to the plastic, so far every time I tried this the glue came out with the screw and left the hole in the plastic.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

gettin'er ready for another comp tomorrow. the holmes ESC is in, loving the break on it. during setup I was holding the motor in my hand and when I tested it to see if it worked the dammed motor jumped out of my hand when it went from full to no throttle.

havent found the leads I want for my RX yet so I didn't want to plastidip it just yet. something alittle easier to remove. wrapped the thing in plastic wrap, little electrical tape to hold it in place. 2 thick coats of liquid tape. then because it felt alittle weak because of the slip in the plastic wrap I wrapped it in elevtrical tape so I could zip tie it nice and tight in place.

3oz of weigh inside each wheel, back to the stock pitbull foams because I got the wrong ones from CI. trimmed the inners to make them easier to install.

rebuilt the transmission due to problems I was having with parts from a spare. more carefull putting it back together and some CA glue in stripped out holes and I think its working alot better (just hoping its not permanently glued to the skidplate now lol, but should be fairly cheap to replace if need be). swaped outputs on the tranny to pinstlye but the LHS had no grubs for them so while I was stealing the pins from my ridgecrest I just took the driveshafts along with it. they fit well and look like they won't have the same problems of popping lose the ones that came with it had.

reallly lookin forward to see how well it performs tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Cool - have someone take some Junkyard Dog footage if you can tomorrow. Hope everything holds up!
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

might be alittle heavy for my tastes... really noticed the extra weight. transmission and the wraith driveshafts performed great. tires were binding so much that I was pulling them out of the wheels on every course. think the extra soft foams helped with that. going to need to try and get something that won;t crumple so easy but is still soft enough to crawl.

next changes will be trying to get some foams that were in between the 2 and some high steering knuckles. I've got what feels like half or less of the steering of the rest of the group I crawl with.

question - do high steering knuckles require different links for the steering?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

had a pretty major problem with the pitbull tires pulling otu of my cheap gmade plastic steelies. someone told me to try and tack the tires on with alittle glue, 4 spots should do it. stopped at the hobby shop to get some tire glue, got the wrong kind of fire glue. put the first drop on the first spot and the damn glue ran around the bead of the tire like it was being sucked into place. going to be interesting trying to debond them off and clean them up when I feel like trying to deal with it, I may only debond once side since I can take the ring out to put in new foams.

the glue might not have gone like I wanted it to but it worked out great, put the tires thru some punishment at a double comp this weekend, no issues what so ever. had one tire so balled up and streched out of shape that part of it was starting to look white.

may still want to lighten the wheels alittle, maybe just an oz out of each back wheel, will try my new battery locations first and see how it does with the current set up. only upgrade I really NEED is better steering, thinking about giving the narrow xr mod a try. hell of alot cheaper then vp parts and I've heard alot pf people talking about the vp parts not being useable on alot of wheels. rubbing issues and the like.

only one action shot, limited people limited time and tryung to push thru 2 comps worth of courses means very few pictures. there w

Last edited by Gravebane525; 09-16-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Depending on the servo arm you're using, you may not be getting all the throw you can from your current setup. A slightly longer arm will make a big difference. I can't tell from the pics, but you could also try running zero degrees toe-in or a small amount of toe-out for more aggresive turning. Overdrive/underdrive diff gears are a big plus for turning and climbing.

By the way, I'm lovin' the chop top look on the Dingo body!

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 09-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have my endpoints set way way low just to get the stock knuckles to stop hitting the chubs. seams like a really bad design to me, but maybe it was for a scale thing.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Is your steering link bottoming out on the diff housing at all? I usually run that link on top of the knuckle arms for better clearance. If the knuckes are hitting the C hubs, you're at max steering. High steer knucks will give you more.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 09-16-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I don't think I'm hitting the diff housing, I have it set to stop just shy of the knuckle hitting the chubs. I've been looking at high steer knuckles, improving the steering is a pretty expensive upgrade. VP knuckles and chubs, the 8 degree ones, the vvd, then new links, all adds up to around 200-250. can get it alittle cheaper avoiding the VP parts.

cheapest option seams to be the short xr10 mod done with plastic chubs and knuckles.

EDIT: just sent payment for some used upgraded axles. high steer knuckles and chubs, od/ud gears, lockers. steering links. cvd's. will need to swap out the axle housing to get my servo mounted on the front untill I figure out how to chassis mount it with my bumper. hell of a price too (least for me it seamed like one). less then I would have spent for the steering and I still got the steering links the lockers and the od/ud gears.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 09-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

It does get expensive quickly . Unless your goal is an all-out comp setup, Axial high steer knucks and cvd's along with some front end tuning will give you alot of bang for the buck.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

well the goal is comping, but I'm more of a best bang for your buck kinda person. I was tossed up between the axial and VP parts, but leaning to the axial if I could find them. like I said for less then I would have paid for the knuckles chubs and cvd's I got all those plus steering links od/ud gears and lockers. all things I was trying to work into the budget... cant wait to get them installed and get out to play.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
RCC Addict

The combination of parts you purchased should work together nicely. That's basically the setup I run on my trail rigs. Consider yourself lucky to have a scale comp scene, where I'm at I have only a few buds to run with .
Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Nice looking dingo. Like how u chopped the top.
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote

Junkyard Dog - Scrap Parts Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Junkyard dog! Build Bogncrawl Chit Chat 9 03-29-2013 08:06 PM
Slider's Junkyard dog build... slider5161 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 02-06-2009 06:42 PM