Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default motor question

Hello,
What is the best turn motor to use in the scx10 this is not a comp truck just for play I want a motor that has some speed but will hold the truck on a hill I was thinking maybe a 35 turn.
is the cheap rc4wd crawler motors any good if not I may just keep an eye out on here for a good used motor.
Thanks in advance
riskybusinessoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: motor question

A 35T should be fine. I run the cheapo 35T RC4WD motor in my SCX10. It does great and I even ran it on 4s for a while. I think its starting to loose some torque after a year of abuse and no cleaning. Ran it in the sink for about 30 seconds and its running great again. Like any other motor, proper maintenance, not once a year like me, should keep it running great.

There are better motors out there but they are $$$ more.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

a rebuildable 27t motor will give you a lot more speed and more torque over the stock motor...I kept my stock 27t motor and geared it down to a 16 tooth from the stock 20 tooth and it was slower than my rubicon with the stock gearing and motor.

Then I went with a stock trinity 27t motor with the same 16t gear and it flat out leaves the rubicon in the dust speed wise but still has low speed crawling torque.
Mind you this is with 24 degrees of timing..Most all stock rebuildable 27t motors have fixed timing at 24 degrees...generally motors with torque and speed set somewhere in the middle for roar approved stock class racing.

The ultimate for a 27t motor would be one inside a modified can so you can adjust timing..Im doing a motor like this for testing...
Im taking a fixed 24 degree timing motor and putting the armature inside a trinity 7x1 mod motor can and will be setting the timing at about 20 degrees.

A 35 turn will definitely give you more torque but if you want speed like you mention a 27t is a much better choice in my opinion.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

For a cheap motor I would look at the HH TrailMaster Sport.
It is a 27t, but for the price would work well until you can afford a better motor.
Holmes Hobbies LLC

Also keep an eye out in the classified section for used motors.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

How and where do you like to "play". The proper turn motor will be determined by your answer. For hill hold use an esc with a drag brake. The size battery are you planning to use will also have an impact. In my 2 axials, ridgecrest(crawler) and dingo(runner), I have run 27t, 35t, 55t with stock axial esc, castle sidewinder 3 with 3700kv 4 pole, ezrun 120a with 4700kv 4 pole. They all have their time and place. The crawler has a cheap HPI 35t with a 16t pinion on 2s 2200 mah and works great for climbing whatever gets in its way but sure isn't anything close to what I consider fast. The dingo has the ezrun combo and can easily backflip off a lip on 2s 5700 mah, I'm still bulletproofing that one for 3s. Sorry long answer to your question but without more info on your driving its really impossible to answer.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I started with a trinity 15 turn motor I have and its fast its to quick on the throttle for climbing over things so I had a 540 silver can I changed to the speed is pretty good but it just rolls off of any hill so not happy with it.
Right now im using a 6 cell nimh battery with a tekin rebel esc that I already had, its just a backyard course im running it on, I have a 56 tooth 32 pitch spur gear and a 9 tooth pinion on it.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

id go back to the stock spur (87t) and try a 16t/17t pinion with a rebuildable 27t... a 2s lipo will give you alittle more speed/power as well.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
For a cheap motor I would look at the HH TrailMaster Sport.
It is a 27t, but for the price would work well until you can afford a better motor.
Holmes Hobbies LLC
I have this motor with stock gearing and am very happy with it! Good speed on 2s and faster than my wraith on 3s.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Given your answer and some speed comment, 27t seems better fit than 35t on a 6 cell nimh. The axial had decent slow climb ability and enough speed to get the wheels off the ground.
therealrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks, everyone I think from the info im going to try the 27 turn and if I find a used 35 turn on here I might get one to try.
Thanks again
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

when I fried my stock 27t i went with a $20 35t Integy motor (rebuildable) and was very happy. helped a lot with low speeds and my 1.9 Claws, which are significantly larger than the stock flat irons it had before. I think top speed was about the same after a pinion change, but the crawlability was the biggest improvement. Now I run a well-used 25t HH Torquemaster I got on the classifieds - seems to have just as much torque as the 35t and a little more wheel speed on the same gearing/2s. either way, just make sure you get a serviceable/rebuildable motor.

gearing and overall torque of motor/condition will effect the hill-holding power, so keep that in mind.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskybusinessoh View Post
Thanks, everyone I think from the info im going to try the 27 turn and if I find a used 35 turn on here I might get one to try.
Thanks again
Don't just use any 27t motor..they aren't tuned for maximum torque like one specifically made for crawlers..Most basic 27t motors are set at 24 degrees of timing..more on the speed end of things.

So either get one from holmes hobbies, trinity or Brood made for rock crawlers unless you want to build your own motors using 27 turn armatures inside of mod canisters/endbells.

There are better set ups but I run the stock 87t spur with a 17t pinion with my custom motor and its more than enough down low and up top.

Also consider going to a 2s lipo like mentioned in a few responses...that alone equals more speed and torque in general.

Have fun.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Default motor question

Still to this day.. Ill stand behind the Traxxas 21t Titan 550 sized motor from the emaxx / revo. They're cheap and they rock !!! They handle 3s for a joke but run great on 2s as well. I have them in all my trail trucks and my sons trail rigs. WAY more torque which means way more hill breaking. You can gear them up for speed ( they run the same speed as a 35t 540 sized motor).. Plus they are at
every hobby shop.
I ran one for over a year in my wraith on 3s and now it's in my sons mud truck. He's 5 years old so there's no mercy on the motor.
If you have the cash.. The high end rebuildable motors are great.. But If your on a budget and in a hurry.. Go to the hobby shop and get ready to me impressed for $23

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

the trailmaster sport and any sealed can motor is a throw away motor and end up costing more in the long run. I ran one for 2 months before the brushes were burnt up. if you plan on crawling a bit. I do the same thing as 6sharky9, get 27t armatures and throw them inside of adjustable timing cans. yokomo and top cans. Im sure if you ask around you can find some decent stock 27t rebuildable motors that you can rebuild and tinker with for less than the price of a new throw away motor. or get a machine wound motor from holmes hobbies or team brood for around 35 bucks if you want something decent. I just like to tinker with things so i have a box full of old motor parts that i've collected from various friends and rebuild, so far i have a 35t a couple 27t's and a 55t that i've built its a lot of fun!
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote

motor question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Question cmlooner33 Axial XR10 5 04-19-2012 02:25 PM
20t motor and 45t motor gearing question? rcstrike Newbie General 1 11-16-2011 03:40 PM
Motor question Rubihahn Electronics 4 07-03-2009 06:34 PM
Another motor question aubie General Crawlers 3 09-13-2004 07:17 PM