Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Anyone have Crawler Innovations output shafts on their SCX10 trans? Advice and help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Unhappy Anyone have Crawler Innovations output shafts on their SCX10 trans? Advice and help!!

Hello fellow RCCers!

I have an Axial Wrangler SCX10. I bought it used and it came with CI output shafts for T-Maxx drive shafts....I think any shafts with 5mm pin screws will work.

The output shafts are screwed to a Robinson Racing diff gear inside the trans. My issue is wobbling shafts!! I took the trans apart and there is no signs of irregular wear but I am worried if I run with the wobble it will eventually affect the whole trans or drive shafts.

Anyone else have issues with CI long and short outputs with RR diff gear? I messed around for about 1 hours trying to gently center the output shafts equally on both sides of the RR gear but every time I would tighten the screws it just went off center and I know that is what is causing the wobble!! It drives me nuts!! I don't have any stock gears to see if it is the mating with the RR that is the problem or what?

Sorry for the long read but I would like any opinions or info if you have similar issues or had.

Thanks in advance.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone have Crawler Innovations output shafts on their SCX10 trans? Advice and he

Maybe the holes are drilled off center? Tried rotating it a hole?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone have Crawler Innovations output shafts on their SCX10 trans? Advice and he

Contact Eddie at Crawler Innovations.

Customer Service
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, I did write Eddie but no response yet. I thought I would post here too. I will have to see if rotating will work. Does it matter if the drive shaft pin holes match on them or is it just convenient that both are the same direction? If you know what I mean?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I had a wobble to when I assembled mine what I did was take the screws back out and then re tightened them in small equal increments around the part kinda like tightening lug nuts. That got rid of my wobble
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I tried doing that but it was super finicky. It wouldn't center......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Okay so rotating the outputs did very little!! I got some of the wobble out but not all!! I am kind of ticked off with this! :(
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Give Eddie a bit to get back to you, he has had a few problems here and there with his machinist. I had some where the bottom of the outputs was cut convex, not flat and gear case wouldnt seat correctly. I was able to fix it, but he was more then willing to take care of the issue.

I have installed two sets recently and had no issues
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

48 Pitch - 5mm E-Maxx Drive Shaft Upgrade Kit for Wraith

I just installed this in my wraith and im getting the same issue. I will try tightening the screws with small equal increments. I already did this but hopefully not small enough increments.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I am aware of an issue and so is the machine shop that made these. I had two long outputs mailed back to me, which I brought to the machine shop and they confirmed they were off. I mailed those customers the new lightened version of the outputs as replacements.

If your output wobbles, mail it back to C.I.

I stand behind my products and there is no "taillight guarantees" with us. The machine shop is not standing behind their work, but that's my problem not yours. I Guarantee that the current run of lightened output shafts are correct.

My direct email:

novasark@crawlerinnovations.com

Shop#:

(903) 561-7891
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

So it is 100% sure that it is only the long shafts? I fiddled for a couple hours rotating the shafts and tightening in small increments. I was able to reduce the wobble but not get rid of it. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I am aware of an issue and so is the machine shop that made these. I had two long outputs mailed back to me, which I brought to the machine shop and they confirmed they were off. I mailed those customers the new lightened version of the outputs as replacements.

If your output wobbles, mail it back to C.I.

I stand behind my products and there is no "taillight guarantees" with us. The machine shop is not standing behind their work, but that's my problem not yours. I Guarantee that the current run of lightened output shafts are correct.

My direct email:

novasark@crawlerinnovations.com

Shop#:

(903) 561-7891
Old 11-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
So it is 100% sure that it is only the long shafts? I fiddled for a couple hours rotating the shafts and tightening in small increments. I was able to reduce the wobble but not get rid of it. :(
My short side was centered, only the long side had issues.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
In regards to the two sets mailed back, it was only the long output that had issues.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Can I mail my long one back and get the situation resolved? My Axial Jeep came from a fellow RCCer who did not run the rig long. Everything on it is like brand new and he probably didn't even notice the issues because the very short run times he had on it.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Can I mail my long one back and get the situation resolved? My Axial Jeep came from a fellow RCCer who did not run the rig long. Everything on it is like brand new and he probably didn't even notice the issues because the very short run times he had on it.

Yes.
You'll need to pay for the return shipping plus $10 to cover the lightened output replacement.

Ship it to:
Crawler Innovations
1211 Jeff Davis Dr
Tyler TX 75703

Please include the wobbly output and your contact information.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Yes.
You'll need to pay for the return shipping plus $10 to cover the lightened output replacement.

Ship it to:
Crawler Innovations
1211 Jeff Davis Dr
Tyler TX 75703

Please include the wobbly output and your contact information.
How do I know what return shipping costs? :(
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
How do I know what return shipping costs? :(

Take it to the post office and ask them "hey, aboot how much to ship this little part to ->insert address"

rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangercat23 View Post
Take it to the post office and ask them "hey, aboot how much to ship this little part to ->insert address"

I guess I wasn't thinking when he said pay return postage. I know I have to pay to ship my part out...I don't expect him to pay that.

I don't know how to pay the extra $10? I don't have cheques or US cash.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
RCC Addict

PayPal Eddie the $10 or just put it in the package along with the outputs. That's the easiest way to do it.

As for the wobbly outputs, I had the first version of the CI outputs that Eddie made and I never had a problem with them. The bearings were still fine after a year of a slight wobble with a brushless system. I did as someone else mentioned, I just tightened them down like a wheel on a car. Just in a star pattern and equal twists until it was tight.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
PayPal Eddie the $10 or just put it in the package along with the outputs. That's the easiest way to do it.

As for the wobbly outputs, I had the first version of the CI outputs that Eddie made and I never had a problem with them. The bearings were still fine after a year of a slight wobble with a brushless system. I did as someone else mentioned, I just tightened them down like a wheel on a car. Just in a star pattern and equal twists until it was tight.

I did get some of the wobble out but it is so finicky!!

I am running a BRXL with 2S battery and HH 27T TrailMaster Pro motor. I don't plan to go brushless because this is my girlfriends Jeep. I just want it to be smooth running.

I might send the long output shaft in for replacement.

Anyone have Crawler Innovations output shafts on their SCX10 trans? Advice and help!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dig Options For Pin Through/WB8 Style Trans Output Shafts? NFA Fabrication Axial SCX-10 1 11-25-2011 05:56 AM
Axial Trans output shafts Gozer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 04-06-2009 01:02 PM