Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build)

This is pretty much my first crawler, I had a 1/16 exceed and just wanted something more scaled and better quality.

Goal with this is to eventually transform it into a scaled version of my 1:1 crawler! Im excited to learn the 1/10 cage building and working with styrene. A bunch of guys in my 1:1 club run rc cralwers on our weekend outings around camp.

Well anyways I was gonna get a kit version but found this on ebay, stock motor, waterproof's esc, 3 channel radio and few spare parts here and there for $250

Here is my 1:1

802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build)

Welcome to the site...Congrats on the Honcho...Will be watching to see the transformation..Need any help just ask.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks much and if I have any quiestions I wont be hesitant to ask! One funny thing the honcho came with a bad front passenger joint (new on in box) and thats the same joint that is blown on the 1:1 right now. Ironic!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like fate...lol. Have a blast man it's really addicting.
Crawlorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

So I finally had some time to start tearin into the rig, I hafta say right now I should of just bought a kit.

Well I went to start replacing the front shaft and decided ill dis assemble everything and give the front a overhaul (eventually the whole rig) and I notice a "link/shock" bracket at the top of each axle and it looked like it doesn't go for anything. Dd a quick look of scx axles and they looked totally different then what I have!! After some research found out they are venom creeper axles!!

Kinda bummed that this rig has been screwed around with this much, was hoping for a more bone stock rig. Did some reading on the axles and from what I see they steer very well? But parts are not readily available at local hobby shops.

So my question is should I just junk this axles?? Seem like I can't find anything for them even on-line. If I shoul go axial axles should I just go wraith axles? They are suppose to be scale for 1.1 full width/1tons? Regardless I gotta order a inner wheel bearing for the creeper...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
So I finally had some time to start tearin into the rig, I hafta say right now I should of just bought a kit.

Well I went to start replacing the front shaft and decided ill dis assemble everything and give the front a overhaul (eventually the whole rig) and I notice a "link/shock" bracket at the top of each axle and it looked like it doesn't go for anything. Dd a quick look of scx axles and they looked totally different then what I have!! After some research found out they are venom creeper axles!!

Kinda bummed that this rig has been screwed around with this much, was hoping for a more bone stock rig. Did some reading on the axles and from what I see they steer very well? But parts are not readily available at local hobby shops.

So my question is should I just junk this axles?? Seem like I can't find anything for them even on-line. If I shoul go axial axles should I just go wraith axles? They are suppose to be scale for 1.1 full width/1tons? Regardless I gotta order a inner wheel bearing for the creeper...
Sell the Venom axle crap for whatever you can get...fleabay or RCC....gotta love the incomplete/inaccurate fleabay description.

Buy two Axial axle assemblies, add CVDS, a few key aluminum parts (chubs, knuckles, rear lock outs) and enjoy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
RCC Addict

sad to hear that...Im looking for stock axles myself for a project im building... look on ebay for the axles...they are priced usually between 65 and 85 dollars for a complete set of stock assemblies.

If you can get them in the 60 range you did pretty good..but still have shipping to consider unless its free shipping.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I got all winter to build this, hopefully I'll be ordering some styrene to start making the bobbed taco bed here soon!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Subbed
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I got the whole rig stripped. I was gonna try and use it for a bit and slowly build it up but there is so much wrong with this rig it's not even funny.

Looks like those venom axles run about 8.5" wms (hub to hub). Now I'm really leaning towards the wraith axles instead of scx axles. My 1.1 is running full widths.... Thinking of maybe running the tsl's XL's 1.9s really think those would give it the 1.1s 38x12.5 look which is what I'll be running eventually. Question I have is, are the wraiths diffs be insanely low on a 4.7" tall tire???

Was gonna post pics but seem like I can't on the phone!? Will update when I get to a computer.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

nice 1:1 man. I trail my jeep xj and have a scale version of it too. hoping to do some more serious mods to my 1:1 after the winter.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
I got the whole rig stripped. I was gonna try and use it for a bit and slowly build it up but there is so much wrong with this rig it's not even funny.

Looks like those venom axles run about 8.5" wms (hub to hub). Now I'm really leaning towards the wraith axles instead of scx axles. My 1.1 is running full widths.... Thinking of maybe running the tsl's XL's 1.9s really think those would give it the 1.1s 38x12.5 look which is what I'll be running eventually. Question I have is, are the wraiths diffs be insanely low on a 4.7" tall tire???

Was gonna post pics but seem like I can't on the phone!? Will update when I get to a computer.

Cheers
Wraith axles are much wider then scx10 axles and will stick way out from under the wheel well...I would still consider scx10 axles for a more scale look of your 1:1 pic.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
nice 1:1 man. I trail my jeep xj and have a scale version of it too. hoping to do some more serious mods to my 1:1 after the winter.
Yeah the problem is 1.1 are very pricy to build!! But they are a lot of fun!!

Okay didn't realize how much wider the wraith axles actually were. They aren't too scale then. Should be getting some scx axles before Christmas hopefully so I can start building links for it. Gonna run 3 link with panhard in the front an I might set up leafs for the rear.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Cant wait to see how this turns out! Where are the pictures!
Jake Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Here is some crappy cell pics of the frame pretty much stripped and the axles out. Starting with a clean slate. Might be a little longer for the styrene cause I'm gonna set the axles and suspension up first. Plus I never worked with styrene so it probably won't come out that great lol
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Tore the trans apart this morning when I got home from work. Everything looks new in there! finally something thats right with this thing. Well anyways clean it all up and re-greased it with some Parker silicone grease. This stuff is very luby and the texture is comparable to molasses. Well anyways after assembly it I couldnt even hear any movement inside.

Also flipped the motor and trans mount 180 degrees while I was at it.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
love the 1:1
Thanks! Have tons of time in it. And of course its never done....hopefully 38" tsl's and doublers for next season.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Alright taking a dive into the electronics on this thing....which im not too familar with. been out of it for a while.

Motor: Axial 27 turn....good bad? flaws? If to replace what would be a great replacement. Not looking for speed just decent torque. Want reliability... Plan on running 2s lipo's too.

ESC: Unkown brand (I'll hafta take a look in the am) All I know its been waterproofed, says 2s...Im assuming its rated for 2s. and I have a few extra plugs coming off from it.

Radio: Came with a 3 channel Fly Sky 2.4 ghz, Has lipo battery for it also. Seems to be really nice but I've been out of the hobby for a while now.

Servo: Not stock...I will have to update in the morning when I get home.

Just trying to get a shopping list together to keep a eye out for stuff and or be able to pick stuff up here and there.

Thanks for all the input and help!

Last edited by 802coma; 11-28-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

The fly sky is an amazing bang for your buck radio. Now do you live in Swanson or so. Royalton? I work in Randolph , when ya get it done , or need any help lmk.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

"Honcho" Bedside Kit

Might be easier for your bedsides
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally got a SCX10 (Tacoma build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time Tacoma build rockhugger Axial SCX-10 16 03-19-2014 11:59 AM
Honcho now Tacoma Build!!! BOWTIE Axial SCX-10 236 08-18-2011 11:49 AM
2nd Gen Tacoma Body for SCX10? ScalerFab Paint and Body 1 02-25-2010 12:52 PM