Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Use stock rims and install lead weights or??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Use stock rims and install lead weights or??

I'm building my SCX kit and bought plenty lead weights to install in the wheels. I got the Great Planes self adhesive weights.
1. First off, should I put weights around the wheel? If so, how much and what's the best epoxy or method to hold them around center of wheel.
2. Should I not install weights? Why?
3. I started to order the 8 hole beadlocks but didn't. Was thinking in the future of getting heavier rims and new tire set to swap back and forth with.
4. I star cut my foams on my AX10 build years ago. Is this still the way to cut newer foams today? Even the SCX stock foams?
Thanks for educated opinions!
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Use stock rims and install lead weights or??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
I'm building my SCX kit and bought plenty lead weights to install in the wheels. I got the Great Planes self adhesive weights.
1. First off, should I put weights around the wheel? If so, how much and what's the best epoxy or method to hold them around center of wheel.
2. Should I not install weights? Why?
3. I started to order the 8 hole beadlocks but didn't. Was thinking in the future of getting heavier rims and new tire set to swap back and forth with.
4. I star cut my foams on my AX10 build years ago. Is this still the way to cut newer foams today? Even the SCX stock foams?
You can install the weights on the stock rims if you wanted...Most go to beadlocks because its easier to take tires off and change them out for something else if you wanted and most feel they look better as well.

IF you have self adhesive backed weight you don't need anything else to mount them..If they are 1/4oz weights you can install a max of 3.5oz of weight per wheel..You will have a small gap between the full radius but center the last weight between the gap ...You don't have to add that much weight however..just evenly space out what you want to add and it will help you get some much needed traction..Its common to add more to the front than the rear or just weight on the front only..just see what you like...Again easy to do with beadlocks as you may have to take tires off a few times to get it right.

You can still cut the foams but technology has advanced and you can get better performing foams without cutting...Check out Crawler Innovations in the vendors section...talk to him and he will recommend a set of foams to suit your need.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I weighted my stock wheels with self adhesive weights then wraped a couple layers of eletrical tape around them to ensure they didn't come in stuck.

Then I switched to bead locks since I hate having to glue tires.
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I usually take one of my crawlers to the local tire store and ask if I can buy some stick on wheel weights. I show them the new tires and wheels and they think its cool. Most of the time they give me 4-6 sticks for free,I've even got one of their managers into crawling. I like their wheel weights because they are painted and don't stain or deteiorate my foams.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have aluminum beadlocks with about 4.25oz in each front wheel. I haven't weighed it but I know its heavy. Crawls like a mother and I haven't broken anything. Yet.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
Yes, in my rigs I generally run 3-4oz. in the front with or without aluminum wheels and no weight in the rears. But that is my preference. As for using the self adhesive weights, they stick fine, but as mentioned in an earlier post I too wrap electrical tape for extra strength.

2. Should I not install weights? See above Why?Helps plant the suspension for better traction.
Bead locks are just a good idea, and you don't have to break the bank if you don't want to.
Back in the day star cut was one of the things to do because of the harder compound tires, however it is not necessary today with all our options in sticky tires. Plus you have great foam option available as well.

Hope that helps!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

i purchased G-made sr 02 steel bead lock rims and self adhesive rim weights for 1:1 cars/motorcycles , i ended up ONLY using the sr 02 steel wheels with no holes in the tire or rim with the stock kit foams from the g6 (same tires too) i love having that small bit of neutral air pressure built up in the tire it looks extremely realistic when crawling
mikesmyth11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I normally use the 1/4 ounce weights with the sticky back, but recently I bought some 3/16 Solid Core lead, from Bullet Weights , they only sell it online, the bait and tackle shops, got to order it. cause it is lead based, and the whack jobs in California bitched about it, but anyway, I needed to put two ounces in some Axial 8 hole rims for my 1/16 crawler, normally I use 3 to 3 1/2 ounces per wheel, so I needed to go lighter, and plus the lead was easy wrap around in the center of the rim, then on top of inside of rim inside the tire.

Last edited by kgb424; 08-07-2014 at 08:49 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Use stock rims and install lead weights or?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add-on lead weights. RC Rocks Tamiya CR-01 2 08-18-2012 07:25 AM
lead wheel weights dsm4g63punk Tires and Wheels 20 03-14-2011 09:03 PM
BB's vs Lead weights gtbrian Newbie General 18 09-30-2008 02:12 AM
lead weights BASSPROKVD Tires and Wheels 4 01-05-2008 01:40 PM