Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First SCX10 and have some questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First SCX10 and have some questions...

I've been reading trying to figure out as much as I can in these rigs. There's lots..
I've built and modded a P4de for my daughter and a P2De for my son. Both with cc setups and lots of goodies...and they're a blast but they still look like TOYS.
But I'm a noob on the scaler end of things.

First, what motor and ESC? I will be doing mostly hill climbing in the woods and quick running around. I realize that brush less will ultimately require toughening up several drive train items.
I plan on running 2.2 Boggers and a AX2 tranny. Hoping the AX2 will allow be to do some crawling and add some torque.
Water proof is must I'd say. I need good suspension that can handle some small fly action as well.
What else should I consider?
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: First SCX10 and have some questions...

I wouldn't be jumping an SCX based truck, they just are not designed for that...

I run a brushless 17.5 sensored setup in one of my rigs and it has a lot of torque as well as good wheel speed. Good all around setup.

You sound like you might be more interested in a Wraith if you are really into the 2.2's
Scionizer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

No I don't want a wraith. And I'm not bashing with this rig but it certainly should be able to be build to handle some amount of 4 wheels of the ground. Not like hitting ramps but when hill climbing and such you can get some pretty good woops.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i am giving you a thumbs up on your idea of jumping the scx10. I like this. I forget which damn website had a scx10 or a AX10 basher and of course i cant find it now..but he made the truck to basically do jumps, go fast and turn better. so he unlocked the difs put in some brushless power and a 2spd tranny. Thing looked badass..! But being you said you arent hitting jumps just get some soft springs on whatever suspension you're running, you could run a sprung setup on them for maximum uptravel..
autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool. Ya I mean I'm not launching it of stuff on purpose. I have the Pedes for that. What I'm after is a beast of hill climber with my bronco body. Kind of like a bouncer but not in the unlimited class. More like what we really drive around here in the woods of IL.
I looked up SCX10 2.2 on YouTube and there are plenty of vids doing what I'm after with their scxs.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well hell - I picked up a Wraith Roller as well today. I figured I really need to put my hands on both to know what I really want to build.
I do know that I am going with the Holmes 13T Crawl Master Pro and the BX-XL ESC regardless of which one I end up building.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeje View Post
I've been reading trying to figure out as much as I can in these rigs. There's lots..
I've built and modded a P4de for my daughter and a P2De for my son. Both with cc setups and lots of goodies...and they're a blast but they still look like TOYS.
But I'm a noob on the scaler end of things.

First, what motor and ESC? I will be doing mostly hill climbing in the woods and quick running around. I realize that brush less will ultimately require toughening up several drive train items.
I plan on running 2.2 Boggers and a AX2 tranny. Hoping the AX2 will allow be to do some crawling and add some torque.
Water proof is must I'd say. I need good suspension that can handle some small fly action as well.
What else should I consider?

hey brother, how are ya. First off I wanna say that its awesome to see folks enjoying the hobby with their kids.
.. for s motor system id go with a tekin brushed 35 turn, or if you wanna throw another 23-30$$ at it go with a Holmes hobbies 27 turn trail master pro. (let me know how that 13t does if you go with that, I'm interested to see) Brushless is fast yes, but you'll spend more time fixing broken parts than on the trails, plus its a major pain in the a$s to waterproof a brushless system. For an ESC you can't go wrong with a bx Holmes hobby mini or a tekin FXR ... both are very small, very programmable, and easily dipped in pasti-dip for 100%water proof. And btw, I love jumping my scx off rocks and catching air just run some 4" big bores or some axial comp shocks and you'll be able to handle whatever

Last edited by dieseldee; 02-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.
dieseldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey diesel thanks. Funny thing is I bought both rollers because I can't decide. I will only build one. Sell the other.
My main thing is to be able to hill climb with it and make sure the Boggers have enough wheel speed to clean out. And yes sometimes, all 4 wheels will leave the ground Lol.
If I want to shoot up out of a creek bank and catch a little air so be it!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeje View Post
Hey diesel thanks. Funny thing is I bought both rollers because I can't decide. I will only build one. Sell the other.
My main thing is to be able to hill climb with it and make sure the Boggers have enough wheel speed to clean out. And yes sometimes, all 4 wheels will leave the ground Lol.
If I want to shoot up out of a creek bank and catch a little air so be it!
ha!.. I couldn't agree more!. not knocking tekin but it sounds like you made the right move with that 13t and bx.... hope you post a build thread once you start. I'm in the middle, well about to finish up actually, a scx 10 build with wraith axles.. I'll be running a 27 turn trail master pro from Holmes. Good luck with the build my man.
dieseldee is offline   Reply With Quote

First SCX10 and have some questions... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 questions help. Browner93 Newbie General 12 09-12-2013 12:29 PM
SCX10 questions road_rascal Axial SCX-10 7 06-06-2013 09:24 PM
new scx10 questions arp1500 Axial SCX-10 4 04-07-2012 07:00 PM
Just got a SCX10 and have a few questions Tommy_Boy_1184 Axial SCX-10 2 12-03-2010 07:46 PM
Some SCX10 questions 0124vctd Newbie General 8 04-13-2010 04:05 PM