Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho RTR Steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Honcho RTR Steering

hey,

so I just recently got a axial scx10 honcho RTR version. I just came back from crawling at a hobby shop and my Honcho really isn't good at doing sharp turns. It takes me like a 10 point turn to make a sharp turn. I literally have to go back and forth a lot just to make a sharp turn.

Is this normal? or is their an adjustment I can do or anything?

Also, would upgrading my steering to metal links be too much for the stock servo? when the tires are jammed up against some rocks and I turn, only one turns because of the plastic links, but would upgrading to the metal ones be too much force on the stock servo or would I be fine?

Thanks guys any input would be great.

Also if you guys recommend upgrading servos for better turning and sharper turning which servo would that be? Im kinda new to all this.
123nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Honcho RTR Steering

Search here on RCC for "XR mod"

[/thread]
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

One of the reasons the SCX10 has a big turning radius is that the axles and the transmission are locked causing all of the wheels to turn at the same speed. If you unlocked the front axle or the transmission, the turning radius will get smaller.

You can see this effect with a dig unit that will let the rear wheels freewheel which reduces the turning radius.

The measurements in the thread below was done with a Wraith but you will get the same effect with the SCX10. See post number 15 in this link for the comparison: Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

High steer knuckles get you more steering, mod the servo put a bearing in it instead of the bushing inside, it will let a little longer,metal links yes, you'll find everything you need in the search bar just gotta do allot of reading but you'll learn as you do, you'll upgrade allot of things to make it what you want.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Replacing the drag link and tie rod with metal will help with that flex issue you're seeing. The RTR plastic is very forgiving, but makes the truck sloppy. To get a better turning radius, you'll have to upgrade to universals or VVDs, chubs and knuckles along with a higher torque servo.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Either the xr mod or cvd's/vvd's+high steer knuckles and some decent links with any setup. OD/UD gearing will also help turning radius but be harder on the drivetrain.

8-32 allthread+1/4" brake line/stainless tubing+revo rod ends=beefy ass links... and infinitely customizable.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks guys for all your help. I think I will just upgrade to the metal steering links and be done with it.
123nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Overdrive or Underdrive

Overdrive/Underdrive?

Poor steering radius?

SCX10 knuckles & C hubs

^ what's current
there's more here if ya look.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Honcho RTR Steering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy, SCX10 Honcho RTR, a few questions about my Honcho dan188 Axial SCX-10 2 10-04-2013 09:43 AM
RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix waterboij23 Axial SCX-10 3 08-17-2012 02:24 AM
what steering upgrade for RTR Honcho? chopan84 Axial SCX-10 5 03-09-2011 05:52 PM