Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: steerin is startin to P/O

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Angry steerin is startin to P/O

so i put my servo on my bumper, extended the steerin link from the horn to the knuckle. tested it out, and it only turn to the right. itll turn to the left but hardly movin the tires to the left like its not gettin the full turnin radious like it should. im stuck on what to do. did everythin i could think of and still hasnt fixed it. heres some pictures;

the bracket;

sitting;

turnin to the right(left lookin at the front of it);

turnin to the left(right lookin at the front of it);

im thinkin it could be the angle or i need a servo with more tourge to turn the servo. im stumped....
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: steerin is startin to P/O

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like when sitting with the tires straight, the horn is already pointing left.
I would start by making sure that the horn is straight ahead when the wheels are straight.

Additionally, you should get a better over-all steering radius by reducing the front-to-back angle on the drag-link. To do this, you could either move the servo back a bit on the chassis, or, if you have the clearance, possibly by reversing the servo horn (pointing backwards).
summerof95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thats why I don't use CMS, there a problem from the beginning (No offense here) but with binding issues, there not overall worth it. Sure it looks scale but they take a lot of work from seeing other trucks. The only thing I can think of is that your servo horn is not aligned properly, just take off the servo horn, turn the truck on and the servo will go back to its normal position, next get your transmitter and turn your steering trim to zero and put the servo horn back on. Note: Make sure both front wheels are straight! Now drive the truck in a straight line watching it turn by itself, adjust the trim and turn your wheels to test.

This should work but it may be your servo all together or it could be that you need a BEC, there are a few possibilities to why its doing that. One of my trucks did that, I turned it on and I was like WTF but I just did exactly what I just said to fix it and no more problems. You could also use a voltage protector depending how much power your servo has, its kind of hard to tell what servo you have! Just try that first, (what I said) and go from there. If you need a new servo, go looking at savox, they have great prices for the power. Most of my trucks have Savox and my wraith has a Hitec (with 611 oz. of torque!!), but after using Savox I will never look back at Hitec unless Savox goes out of business.lol. I recommend that you get at least 250 oz.s of torque. Hope this helped, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i have a BEC kickin around. ill have to plug it in and give it and try and hope i dont fry anything. haha. but thanks for the advice. i did take the servo horn off and tirn it and made sure the trim was set in the middle. the tip of the servo horn is pointin towards the front of the truck. il try turnin it around and havin the tip point in the back
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

When you turn the wheels, does the chassis seem to move over the axles?
Depending on link setup, that will happen.

A CMS is really supposed to be used with a panhard bar to prevent it.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

^ This.

You don't have the right geometry going on there and a CMS with the stock tri-link setup doesn't work well at all. (I tried it a couple years ago.) It looks like your servo horn is too far forward, put a strong angle on the drag link. This kills leverage and shortens the throw of the steering. I'd move the servo back a bit so the drag link is above the tie rod. It also looks like it will be the first thing to snag in the position it's in now.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

What servo are you running? If it's underpowered, that's one thing to start with.

Also as Johnny said, if you aren't running a panhard bar (which it doesn't look like) you won't ever turn the wheels as it just pushes the axle around.

And also as stated, make sure the servo arm is centered when the steering is centered and also try to keep the steering arm as parellel as you can to the axle itself

Also ditch the stock 3 link if you're doing CMS.

Try all those things (combined, not just pick and choose) and you should solve your issue.

Running the I made my own chassis mount servo (using the DIY mod) and made my own panhard mounts and 4 link axle mount (only used one of the upper mounts though) from scrap aluminum at work and i had no issues with steering. Everything worked as it should

Upgraded to Bluemonkey CMS and panhard just because it looks prettier than my DIY did.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote

steerin is startin to P/O - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steerin servo issue meanbgreen Axial SCX-10 4 07-09-2012 05:48 PM
startin to get chilly NeXt559 Chit Chat 33 10-24-2008 12:35 PM
Where to get TXT steerin knuckles? Tacoma747 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 2 09-16-2007 10:53 AM
Startin A Scaler Soon Need help hadden1234 Newbie General 2 03-06-2007 10:34 PM
bad steerin z71er1c General Crawlers 14 12-14-2006 03:55 PM