Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to the scale world - advise please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New to the scale world - advise please

Hello all. I'm in the process of putting a build list together for the recon g6 I plan on building. I was hoping I can get some wisdom from the scaler community as far as basic parts I should include right away to build a reliable, fairly bullet proof truck. I plan on mostly trail riding with some crawling. I'm for sure going to install the hardened metal gears on the transmission. I was also considering the rear shock relocation kit from rrp. The rig will be brushed with a 2s lipo. What other basic upgrades should I look at while building the kit?

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by jason02ws6; 04-12-2014 at 08:07 PM.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New to the scale world - advise please

Jason,
First things I do to every scale rig...Universals or VVD's for the front axle, aluminum c-hubs and knuckles...you can get the Axial version or Vanquish or STRC. I also use a good servo...I like the SAVOX1231sg...440oz of torque for $70...great servo for the money. The G6 kit comes with some upgrades so that's nice, but the upper links on the suspension are plastic, so you will want to upgrade those. If you are running all metal gears in the tranny you should also run a Robinson spur/slipper. I also have to have good bead lock wheels...LockedUP RC and MotoWorx Racing have really nice wheels that won't break the bank. Happy Crawling.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Appreciate the advice @ski29mike. I plan on running a 35 turn motor. Any suggestions on gearing or will the out of the box gearing be okay?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Out of the box is fine for a brushed motor.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

imo the truck stock is amazing. i would say replace parts as they break. beadlocks with some good tires is a must tho. also dont cheap out on a motor and just spend the money now for a good one. if you dont have a esc atm i would say go with a tekin fx-r esc because how small they are. also a MUST is a good bec like a castle bec. when i say the bec is a must it is a MUST. no amount of glitch busters will work as good as a bec when it comes to giving your servo the amount of power it needs. also set your bec to 6v or 7.2 if your rx and servo can handle it. imo the top plastic links will work fine also the stock tranny gears are good enough and you shouldnt need them till you go 3s or brushless.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
imo the truck stock is amazing. i would say replace parts as they break. beadlocks with some good tires is a must tho. also dont cheap out on a motor and just spend the money now for a good one. if you dont have a esc atm i would say go with a tekin fx-r esc because how small they are. also a MUST is a good bec like a castle bec. when i say the bec is a must it is a MUST. no amount of glitch busters will work as good as a bec when it comes to giving your servo the amount of power it needs. also set your bec to 6v or 7.2 if your rx and servo can handle it. imo the top plastic links will work fine also the stock tranny gears are good enough and you shouldnt need them till you go 3s or brushless.
thank you for the info. whats a decent brushed motor cost? any suggestions on which to get?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I would run it as is and upgrade when it breaks
paranoid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
I would run it as is and upgrade when it breaks

Good point. So far I've ordered the 1.9 8 hole beadlocks and the gear head rear suspension relocation kit. That shall be it as far as upgrades go for now. I'll be running it with my spectrum dx3c. Now I need to decide on motor and esc. I have a few zippy 2200mah 2s lipos that I'll rob from my traxxas 1/16 revo and eventually get a larger lipo. I'm getting pretty pumped about the build. Last kit I put together was a Losi LXT stadium truck back in the early 90s. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Get yourself one of these in 27t r 35t:
Holmes Hobbies LLC

and one of these:
Holmes Hobbies LLC

And you'll be in good shape.

I wouldn't think you'll need the metal gears, or any of the aluminum stuff yet just because of how light those trucks are. Like others have said see what breaks with your driving style and go from there.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote

New to the scale world - advise please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the scale world. shwng1973 Newbie General 9 09-12-2011 09:32 AM
new to scale need advise 831mars General Scale Talk 2 03-06-2011 01:51 PM
my first step into the scale world! motostowes Axial SCX-10 9 08-10-2010 07:01 PM
Stepping into the scale world brokeitagain Axial SCX-10 4 06-27-2009 12:46 AM
new scale wally world type crawlers yoda316 General Crawlers 3 01-03-2005 03:51 PM