Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Motor / ESC issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Default Motor / ESC issues

Hey everyone,

I am new to the hobby and new to this forum. PLEASE bare with me if I do or say something stupid...

I bought a used SCX10 from a buddy. I tore it down to nuts and bolts and have been rebuilding it for months and am having some issues with my motor over heating and shutting down the ESC. Here is the list of components I'm running.

Holmes Hobbies 45t Torquemaster motor
14t pinion
RC Plane gearbox to a NP205 transfer case
Hi-Tech 5646wp Servo
Li Po Tazer 12t ESC
Venom 2s 5000 7.4v LiPo

I run around for about 15 minutes on a full charge and before I know it, the ESC shuts down and starts blinking and the motor is too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. If I turn both the ESC and controller off and back on, it'll start rolling again but only for a few minutes at a time. Through a lot of trial and error, I'm finding that it's happening when the motor is under load but unable to turn, like if I approach an obstacle and have to use light throttle play to crawl...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure that should be normal, right? Getting pushed up against a rock or something and trusting your slow turn motor and metal gear servo to be able to crawl an obstacle. I tried a glitch buster thinking the servo requirements were a bit much...no dice.

Please - someone who knows something more about all this stuff than I do, weigh in. I'm thinking the high torque motor and high torque servo is too much for this ESC but I am reluctant to replace it without knowing something beyond speculation because if I'm going to replace it, I'm replacing it with quality and this rig is nickel and diming me dry as it is and my wife is losing her patience.

Please, discuss.
BeanBump12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor / ESC issues

First thing is check/pull your driveshafts. You didn't mention what kind you have. Then pull your motor, and check to see the trans spins smoothly. If so move to the axles, pull the wheels and check to see if it spins freely.
The truck should roll smooth with very little resistance without the motor attached. If not you need to isolate where the resistance is coming from. MIP driveshafts when they get dirty tend to bind up the whole works.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Check the brushes in the motor. That is a very logical reason why the motor would be overheating quickly and have a lack of power.
Buy new brushes.
You would know if the drivetrain was binding enough to overpower the motor.
Rebuildable Brushed motors are finiky.
I've found that a cheap Traxxas Titan 21turn 550 can motor works great.
Unless you start getting into competitions or something serious I would look into one of those. EBay $20 shipped

You say you have difficulty turning occasionally, this would lead me to believe that your servo is overpowering your ESC. To remedy this I would purchase a castle bec and castle link programmer.

That being said, welcome to RC!
Its an addiction and as with most, not cheap.

Your issues are minor tho not to worry.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

As others have said check for binding in your drivetrain also make sure your gear mesh on the motor pinion is not to tight. I had an issue one time where the wheels were rubbing on the knuckle when tightened down cause a lot of drag.

Sent from my iPad using my finger
sf2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2000xj View Post
As others have said check for binding in your drivetrain also make sure your gear mesh on the motor pinion is not to tight. I had an issue one time where the wheels were rubbing on the knuckle when tightened down cause a lot of drag.

Sent from my iPad using my finger
This.
Look for any kind of drag.
If you don't find anything....time for a rebuild or swap cans out

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Start out by pulling your drivetrain apart and check for binding. Then take out your driveshafts. Run without your drive shafts does it still bog/bind? Take trans out motor off check out again ,does it still do it ? Your speed control may be overpowered? If you do replace parts, to keep on the cheap rebuild your current motor (yourself or holmes hobbies does it for a fee). Use a holmes hobbies Brxl sped control waterproof is an option. It has a higher torque rating for the steering , no real need for a bec. I don't use them on my 2 scale trucks. For a servo use a higher torque hi tech. Sorry I'm costing ya money but I would guess you have go binding somewhere. If you got friends you could swap out stuff. Good luck.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Also check the gear mesh between the motor pinon and spur gears, if there are too tight, there will be extra drag between these too gears which will heat both the motor and esc up. Adjust the motor position to acquire a proper gear mesh. if you are not sure, follow this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3gE3cFJVw
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor / ESC issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc issues or elec issues camogonewild Newbie General 5 03-11-2014 11:19 AM
just upgraded my esc/motor and big issues!!! rockrigcustoms Electronics 13 01-23-2011 05:04 PM
Sidewinder esc and 5700 motor or Traxxas vxl 3s esc with brushless motor? THE CRAWLER KING Newbie General 6 08-22-2010 07:10 AM
ESC issues? Oso787 Electronics 3 07-15-2010 07:06 AM
ESC issues PCK_4xCustoms Electronics 2 06-25-2009 04:40 PM