Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Scale Addict's Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Scale Addict's Cherokee

I started to build this rig from a COMPLETELY TRASHED SCX10 that I had taken in on trade. I was planning on cleaning it up, giving it a couple of nice upgrades, and sending it on down the line. However, I've really begun to like it more and more. At this point, I'm planning on keeping it.

By completely trashed, I mean completely, utterly, nearly beyond repair.

I took EVERYTHING apart, and cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. If it was metal, axle shafts, etc., it was worked over with the wire wheel on my bench grinder. When I was finished with the cleaning, I had a well used, but very clean and respectable chassis.

I decided to go with a Jeep Cherokee body on the build, just because I had never done one. The only reason I painted it with the Tamiya Gun Metal Polycarbonate paint was that I had a couple of cans lying around that I had no immediate plans to use on anything else. I'm glad I did. It's a great looking color, and it goes very well with the black trim and accessory accents.

When I rebuilt the axles, I threw in some Locked Up RC FI Spools, and some Axial HD Under Drive Gears. I left the stock cHubs, Knuckles, and Lockouts, since I was planning on selling this little beauty. I will be getting the clockable Axial cHubs, with some Axial Knuckles and Lockouts to match.

I replaced all of the bearings in the axles and transmission housing with Fast Eddy Bearings. While the gears are currently stock, I will upgrade them to the Axial HD Transmission Gears as soon as they come in off of back order.

While I haven't replaced the drive shafts yet, I do have a set of MIP's waiting to go in.

Right about now is when I really begin to start liking this rig. I picked up a pair of sliders from Shon (R2j) that he had lying around, and decided to throw a set of flares on it so that it could possibly be a Class 1 rig. I also picked up some Stainless upper and lower links, 4-link mounts for the shaved housings, some CMS goodies, and steering linkage from Shon, which really began to make this build.

For those that don't already know, the front bumper is from an Axial Dingo, the rear bumper is from an Axial Jeep Rubicon, as are the fender flares. The wheels and tires pictured above were off of a RTR Axial Honcho. The roof rack is from Proline, and it gave the jeep a GREAT look IMHO.

You can also note here that I painted the trim matte black. It's a bit shaky since I have focus tremors on my hands. If I were to do it again, I'd tape it off first to get cleaner lines. The hood is also matte black, just because.

Since I decided to keep it, I began playing around with wheel and tire combinations. I liked the looks of these wheels and tires, but the Cherokee hung up on almost everything. It needed more clearance to be a decent trail rig.

I got rid of the stock shocks and went with some scale RC4WD shocks. I also went with some black wheels and mounted a set of swampers I took in on trade. I NEED A SPARE, SO IF YOU HAVE ONE....

My rear flares were on back order for quite a while, but when they came in, I decided that I wanted to use the front Jeep Rubicon Poison Spyder Flares on the rear as well (flipped sides). To make it look more scale, I notched the flares to make it look like they open with the door.

I also went ahead and threw some Locked Up RC scale acorn nuts on my wheels and some Motoworx Racing Scale Hubs. The wheels, by the way are Motoworx Racing, for those that want to know.

I am currently running stock foams, but I will be getting some CI foams when I get the $$.

You'll notice that it now has an interior. I trashed my JK body, and was going to replace it, so I cut the interior out and shoe goo'd it into the Cherokee. It was nearly a perfect fit. I would have liked to put the cage up there too, but it was too wide, and too tall. I could have mad it work, but I decided not to spend the time. I'm really pleased with the end result.

When I finished the interior, I decided to throw on some mirrors and wipers too. The mirrors are both screwed (with washers) and shoe goo'd. The hope is that the shoe goo and the washers will keep the mirror mounts from tearing through as easily as they did on the Jeep Rubicon. As for the wipers, I drilled holes for the mounts, and shoe goo'd both the mount point and the wiper blade itself. I was very careful to only use enough that it would stick them without having huge globs hanging around.

So... that's pretty much it. I'm sure I missed something, but you get the gist. I'll update more as I continue to build my sweet little Cherokee. Thanks for looking!!!
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Scale Addict's Cherokee

Nice looking Cherokee, I actually have one in the same colour

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-cherokee.html
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post

both of your Cherokees look real as hell. you should post pics on Pirate4x4 and see how many people ask what axles and 4 link kit you are using
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-cherokee.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monkey RC View Post
both of your Cherokees look real as hell. you should post pics on Pirate4x4 and see how many people ask what axles and 4 link kit you are using
Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

them black rims a nice
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

Suck looking jeep man. So how do you go about doing the interior. I hate how my rubicon interior looks.
Satheddal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satheddal View Post
Suck looking jeep man. So how do you go about doing the interior. I hate how my rubicon interior looks.
We'll just assume you meant 'sick' looking Jeep... Either that, or you're a jerk... I know I am!

The interior was simple. I cut my old Rubicon body, leaving about 0.25" of the vertical panel (doors/sides) attached to the interior. I cut the front between the cowl and the hood. I then removed the cage, shortened my driver and passenger, and pushed the interior up into the Cherokee body.

To secure it, I laid down a bead of Shoe Goo on the sides and the rear of the interior. I then wet my finger and rubbed the bead into the gap between the interior and the body. I let it dry overnight with the body upside down, so that the interior wouldn't shift from where I wanted it to be.

All in all, it's a pretty simple 'upgrade'. That is, if you have a spare/wrecked Jeep Rubicon body lying around. Though, if you wanted to, you can buy the Rubicon body, sans the cage and fenders from most hobby shops for around $30.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

Was definitely supposed to be "sick" not suck. Dam auto correct.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Great job on this Cherokee. I really like the fender flares on there and the flat black hood. The entire combination works very well.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Sweet looking jeep and awesome write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate the positive feedback.

LMK if you have any questions on the build.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

How did you mount the body? Velcro? Magnets?
A.Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marshall View Post
How did you mount the body? Velcro? Magnets?

Screws. That and a channel on the sliders which holds the rockers.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Here's a quick body off shot and an underside shot of the body.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I miss my Cheropile... wanting another one. I like everything about it minus the Swampers.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looking good Brian I've always liked that body as well as the comanche body. I'd like to see those motoworx mounted to some treps or the slightly smaller diameter ripsaws. How does fiona feel about the new adoption?
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
I miss my Cheropile... wanting another one. I like everything about it minus the Swampers.
Well... can't please everyone with absolutely everything. I'm loving the boggers. Thanks 2JSC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Looking good Brian I've always liked that body as well as the Comanche body. I'd like to see those Motoworx mounted to some treps or the slightly smaller diameter ripsaws. How does Fiona feel about the new adoption?
Thanks Crawl Space! The first set of Motoworx Racing wheels I had on it had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on them, which are pretty short for 1.9's. I found that I was hanging up on everything. I could have lifted it, but I'd rather keep a lower COG. That is why I went with the Boggers. To clear the boggers, I mounted the fenders up fairly high so that I wouldn't rub on the body. It's a pretty good set up.

As for Fiona, she's long gone. I had her in pieces for so long. I ended up selling the chassis and will be using many of her parts on my other fat Irish girl, Erin.

Eventually, I will have one of every Jeep that I can scrounge up a body for, including the Comanche, which will be a truggy for sure. I should be getting my 'ultra scale' New Bright bodied door-less JK from Shon (R2j) no later than next week. He's fabricating a interior cage and some CMS goodness for me since I am not a welder. I can braze, I just didn't think that would be 'good' enough for that build.

So... as the currently unnamed Cherokee sits now, I need to do some electrical work on it, and I need to gather some parts. Here's the list of what I'm going to be getting:
  • Axial Racing Universal Axle Shafts ( AX30464 )
  • Axial Racing Clockable cHubs ( AX30495 )
  • Axial Racing High Clearance Steering Knuckles ( AXI30526 )
  • Axial Racing Lock Outs ( AX30494 )
  • Axial Racing Locked Transmission Steel Metal Gear Set ( AX30708 )
  • Castle Creations BEC (Programmed @ 7.4v)
  • Hitec HS-7954SH (403 OZ/IN / 0.12 SEC)
  • Holmes Hobbies Waterproof BRXL
  • Holmes Hobbies 16t Crawlmaster Pro
  • Locked Up RC OT 2 Shaft Straight Axle Shafts
  • RC Bros Brass Burly Splined Tubes (SCX10 Width)
  • Robinson Racing 88t 42p Generation 3 Slipper
  • 16t 42p Motor Pinion
I need to sell a Wraith I have in order to finance most of this, but some of it I either already have, or am waiting on. So, if you're looking to buy a Wraith....

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 05-21-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #18

I might be in the market for a wraith.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaleAddict View Post
I need to sell a Wraith I have in order to finance most of this, but some of it I either already have, or am waiting on. So, if you're looking to buy a Wraith....
I am actually looking for an artr or roller for my roommate. His budget is $225 + parts I have lying around. Just something basic but solid to get him on the rocks
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Looks really good man....
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote

The Scale Addict's Cherokee - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IT'S ON... Addict's T1E Rockshow build RockAddict75 EnRoute Berg 59 08-10-2009 07:43 AM
Addict's T1E 1.9 Rockshow RockAddict75 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 07-24-2009 01:16 AM
The Addict's Dub D/Berg '09 comp rig RockAddict75 EnRoute Berg 27 03-08-2009 07:18 AM