Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My new deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My new deadbolt

Thought I would share a few pics of my new deadbolt. I am really impressed with it. Getting almost 2 hours out of a 2200mah 3s. Some more goodies on the way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
mcdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #2

Default Re: My new deadbolt

they look good eh...... i'm hoping to get one in the next week or so. what mods or extras are you intending to do. i was just thinking of running a 2s lipo, I never thought of 3s, what is the advantage of 3s Lipos, why did you decide to run 3s
Sherco125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

3s will give you more low end torque and more wheel speed on open trails. I recently bought one for my scx10 deadbolt and can say that I dont see myself going back to 2s in it. My other scx10 is only set up for 2s at this time and am planning to upgrade it to run 3s as well.
mncrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherco125 View Post
they look good eh...... i'm hoping to get one in the next week or so. what mods or extras are you intending to do. i was just thinking of running a 2s lipo, I never thought of 3s, what is the advantage of 3s Lipos, why did you decide to run 3s
Well honestly I had every intention of running it stock for a while. But that didn't last. Upgraded steering links. Stock are like rubber bands. Well not that soft I guess. Then I moved electronics to rear and battery up front(used shorter posts than stock, left just enough clearance for servo to keep weight low)

Ordered new wheels and foams. Keeping Treps. I am doing this because in stock form the tire fold over easily, causing the truck to tip over when side hilling. Plus new wheels will have more weight, which I think it needs.

I chose 3s because I had them from a failed attempt to learn to fly heli. Now I drive slow and carefully pick my tire placement when out. So that plays into the battery life. Also I turned down the end point for my throttle. Was to fast and was rolling over. Now I have enough to spin wheels when needed.

Also ordered MG 419c to water proof rest of electronics.

Planning on adding a Warn winch with ESC w/brake for controller.

Also lights, working on finding LEDs. Have contacted several manufacturers.

The stock servo seem decent so far. Also the ESC is nice. Haven't notice the motor or servo getting to hot. (It has been in the 90-100s here already).

Researching how to make some scale items.

I wasn't sold on the body when I first got it but it has grown on me. I chose it because it came with newer parts.

Oh played with stock shocks. Filled them with oil( made them too stiff), then removed half the oil. (Much better)

Trying to get it ready for G6 outside Las Vegas in Nov.

Ah and researching upgrades for C hubs, Knuckles, and front cvds. But running out of money fast.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdader View Post

Oh played with stock shocks. Filled them with oil( made them too stiff), then removed half the oil. (Much better)
Looks like you're on the right track with your rig. One thing caught my eye, though. A shock half full of oil is going to lose most of its damping characteristics (how fast the piston travels). I would try a lighter weight oil first to make the suspension more responsive.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Looks like you're on the right track with your rig. One thing caught my eye, though. A shock half full of oil is going to lose most of its damping characteristics (how fast the piston travels). I would try a lighter weight oil first to make the suspension more responsive.
Totally agree with you, plan on trying different weights once I get new wheels with a little weight to them.

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Like your soft top on the Deadbolt. I did the same thing similar to yours except I backed it with MARPAT camo and plexiglass.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Like your soft top on the Deadbolt. I did the same thing similar to yours except I backed it with MARPAT camo and plexiglass.
Looks good.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

Which should I get Dingo or G6?
Loganradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

G6 without question.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Here's what the Deadbolt looked like after about 3 hours of muddin and trail running.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Got new wheels, CI foams, kept Treps

Working on lights

Water proofing everything, but going to try to keep it out of water and mud. Mud seems like a a lot of work to clean up and re grease gears after.

Last edited by mcdader; 06-30-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

love it more than a fat kid loves cake!! whats shakin?
bmullyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #14

i like the new wheels, going out next Saturday again?
bmullyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Light bar and light testing pics. Everything but servo is waterproofed. Not sure how to waterproof stock servo. Any ideas?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #17

Looks Great! I love the camo top.
I just got one as well, and like you, I'm not crazy about the body. The camo top (and the carbon fiber on AsILayDying's truck) make it look great.

What did you do to waterproof the receiver? Did you waterproof it, or just waterproof the box that it's in?
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
Looks Great! I love the camo top.
I just got one as well, and like you, I'm not crazy about the body. The camo top (and the carbon fiber on AsILayDying's truck) make it look great.

What did you do to waterproof the receiver? Did you waterproof it, or just waterproof the box that it's in?
I actually switched to a 6 ch receiver. I opened it up and coated it with MG Chemical 419c acrylic conformal coating. Coated whole board with 2 coats. Left pins uncoated. ( tested this coating with a cheap LED circuit from a lanyard. Coated the control board, but not leds. Worked great submerged in a cup of water. Next day LED's had some oxidation/rust, but board was great.) Oh yeah, the 6 LEDS are pulling about .1 amp.

Found material for top at Walmart in the scraps bin. Used Iron on Hem tape and folded over all the edges to keep from fraying, and used 3m stick on velcro.

Light bar is made from 1/2 aluminum angle. LED's are 12v from Radio Shack. Going to use a old servo as a switch to trigger a relay to turn them on and off. Going to have to rethink the paint, it is already starting to rub off.

Just ordered Axial light bucket kit so I can put some lights in the body. Have something special planned for them, so will post if it works out.

Also winch is on its way. I picked up some 8/32 all thread and brake line to make some links. Starting to see the stock ones bend.

Last edited by mcdader; 07-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #19

My stock steering link is really flimsy. I have read a bunch of 'how-to's" on making links and think that will be my first upgrade. I hope the servo survives after the steering links are upgraded...
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
My stock steering link is really flimsy. I have read a bunch of 'how-to's" on making links and think that will be my first upgrade. I hope the servo survives after the steering links are upgraded...
Yeah. Stock staring link is softer than older ones I think. I upgraded steering links right out of the box. And put on heavier wheels so far so good.

My new deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
here's my deadbolt StraightCreepin87 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 8 04-23-2014 06:45 PM
My new Deadbolt 05stroker Axial AX10 2nd-gen 17 02-17-2014 06:14 PM
Deadbolt Alamo71 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 2 12-24-2013 01:43 PM