Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 plus some change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 plus some change

just throwing this out here to track the changes coming about. should be done by years end, trying not to jump in all at once like i did with the wraith i just picked up. gong from stock rubicon jk unlimited to hilux cab/truggy style rear cage. once i get to the body it may or may not get wroncho treatment, havent decided yet.

as she sits now all stockish, with SV3 on 2S, HPI 27T sealed can, solar D771, (this will be swapped with the HH BRXL/ HH TM expert 27T on 3S currently in the wraith) Currently running 1.7 IROKs on 1.9 Pro10s, but that might change as well.

First order of business will be CMS/3-link/panhard which should be done in the next few days. After which I believe i will be picking up the rear cage to make sure i dont miss out on it, followed by the hilux cab and bits.

Last edited by nharkey85; 01-25-2015 at 06:50 PM.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 plus some change

CMS kit was waiting for me in the mailbox. Wasnt gonna mess with it, then was just gonna look at the mounts, then was thinking I'll just assemble the links. No sense in stopping there so now its done. Need to shave the housing, and trim bumper/mount to clear servo.

Dont mind the crooked pic. Been a long day.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

How did you mount the servo like that and how long / where did you get the link from the servo to the knuckle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drewmtb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmtb29 View Post
How did you mount the servo like that and how long / where did you get the link from the servo to the knuckle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the RC4WD CMS and Panhard kit for SCX10. Fit and finish were spot on, all hardware is either included in the kit or reused from the truck. As with most RC4WD stuff the instructions are a bit lacking but taking time to look all the way through before starting helps.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-s0923.htm

Last edited by nharkey85; 10-07-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Rear cage has been ordered from SMF RC Works. Should ship out early next week per email response. Next up will be the Yota cab and bits.

Debating if I want to eventually drop the coin on the RC4WD D44 axles to finish it off......
Also would like to figure out a way to mount an RC4WD R3 2speed and Killer Tcase combo, or at least front motor mount and tcase setup

EDIT: 10/10/14 Paycheck was better than expected so I went ahead and ordered what i believe to be everything for the cab

Last edited by nharkey85; 10-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

moving right along. tamiya hliux cab, reign rc full cab back, tamiya grill, lightbuckets, lenses, bumper, and SMF RC Works rear cage all in hand and mocked up.

hilux cab fits perfect on 11.8" WB front links, for now stock 12.3" WB plastic front uppers for mock up /measurement will do. rc4wd 3link cms kit included the 3link lengths for both WBs so got that switched out.

with smaller 1.9s and no body covering them, the rear axle looks out of place. pulled the stock 106mm links out, popped the stock 98mm fronts in their place much better. overall WB right at 11.8" now.

got a dinky ddk (gr7/splitskid) ordered along with the needed internals. also picked up some 91mm axial links to replace those 'mock up' plastic links. once i get the body ready (waiting on plastruct cement and some styrene) it will go off to a buddy's body shop for a quality base/clear coat.

these pics were prior to adjusting rear links

Side note: i rebuilt the Icons, going rather heavy on the oil weight to slow down the flex. (This is preliminary, subject to change....80wt front, 50wt rear. Stock red uppers and green lowers). I put the full rubber limiter in place on the fronts and left my half pieces on the rear.

Last edited by nharkey85; 10-23-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Goodies from supershafty and rpp showed up yesterday.

Contents included but limited to...
Dinky RC GR7 (aluminum)
Hot Racing lightened locked diff gear
Supershaft scx10 jack shaft (MIP)
Scx10 trans bearings
Supershafty shorty input (for the splitskid)
Axial 91mm grey alum links
Gmade scale hubs for the tf2

Looks like TCS order and my body supplies will be here today.

The links got swapped last night, and the GR7 mocked up. Trying to decide whether to run the stock gear/outputs in the split skid or the GR7. Which ever goes into the GR7 one side will need to be trimmed *i put the stock outputs/main gear in the GR7, and cut the "shaft" even with the bearing race/

Last edited by nharkey85; 10-26-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Care packages from TCS and amazon have arrived. Dont think i need anything else for now.

if i can get the body smoothed up this weekend, it will go to painter Monday. Even I do not know the color.

Last edited by nharkey85; 10-26-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

How are you liking the RC4WD CMS kit? Does it limit suspension travel much?

The Vanquish panhard/3 link bracket I have limits the passenger side travel so badly that I can't bring myself to actually use it, the RC4WD kit looks like a better solution.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
How are you liking the RC4WD CMS kit? Does it limit suspension travel much?

The Vanquish panhard/3 link bracket I have limits the passenger side travel so badly that I can't bring myself to actually use it, the RC4WD kit looks like a better solution.
I have my drag link on top of the knuckle arm so it hits the servo end of the servo link. They hit just short of full flex (limiters outside shocks) for the passenger side.

Drivers side flex is honestly only about half of what is possible. Would be mostly (if not fully) resolved by a simple bent panhard. It hits the top of the axle housing

UPDATE 11/5/14: switching to RC4WD Yota 2s, using link mounts from the SCX/yota 2 link kit. this eliminates all limitations in articulation. im hitting my limiters with clearance to spare

Last edited by nharkey85; 11-05-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Little update for the night...

Cab back firmly in place, got it in putty curing. Hopefully get it to my painter tomorrow.

Also started working towards where and how the electronics are going in. Still have this persistent notion that this rig will end up with a decent interior, so I'm trying to stay away from mounting a plate across the belly for everything.

So far I've got a bolt-in styrene firewall (already envision a different design) that should hold the HH brxl and rx. Looks like the bec will sit on top of the GR7. Think I'm gonna drop those lower 'wings' and have the frame pieces come all the way up and extend towards the shock hoops as inner fenders

Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Stopped by my painter this evening. Should be getting sprayed tomorrow. 2003-up Chevy silverado Arrival Blue Metallic
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #13

Nice work thus far! Hey, does the RC4WD cms kit preclude the ability to run the stock front bumper mount, or does that still fit? Looks really clean the way you're set up now, though.
adanmtxt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanmtxt1 View Post
Nice work thus far! Hey, does the RC4WD cms kit preclude the ability to run the stock front bumper mount, or does that still fit? Looks really clean the way you're set up now, though.
Still gotta cut the stock mount down to almost nothing. Probably first good bump into something it would snap
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

placed another order with RPP. one more step in the transformation. pics once it gets here

teaser pic until later this evening when the wife gets home from work and the little one goes to bed (and mr postman shows up with some goodies)

Last edited by nharkey85; 11-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

put in a little wrenching time tonight....

??? Wait a minute! Did you just see what you thought you saw?

You sure did. mr postman brought me some yota 2s. Whats a little yota truck without little yota axles....

had to push the front axle forward a bit compared to how the axial sat with the cab. rear uppers had to be shortened to get the pinion angle back down. my stretch the rear back to honcho length next wrenching session. i also need to build some weight into the chassis. i had a 2600 3S and a 3300 3s in the last 2 flex pics to force full articulation. this was without brxl, bec, and rx so there's a little.

Still got to figure out, sketch on a napkin, and blindly cut and drill a battery mount. then decide where its going.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

little more tinker time this evening during college football.

did some detailing on the cab, silver sharpie for grill highlights and door handles, black sharpie for window trim. worked on strengthening my firewall/wheelwells. got it coated with flat black.

electronics mount on the front side of the firewall, go the brxl, sr300 rx, and bec secured and wired. still got to come up with some way of mounting the battery. keep visualizing a "floorpan" covering the splitskid. also want to rig up some boatsides with integrated body mounts.

also changed springs, trying out associated t4/sc10 front springs, golds upfront, blacks out back. they are about 1.5mm larger diameter than axial, but the bottom cups fit snugly. springs are also shorter than the stock dual spring setup

anyways, heres the lastest pics

yes theres a brxl, cc bec, and a 3ch rx in there

Grill details

now for the tough part.....
silver pro10s with 1.7 IROKS

or black pro10s with 1.9 MTZs

Last edited by nharkey85; 11-08-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Or maybe the new kicks i picked on here. Gonna need some suspension tweaks but we shall see. Think i got it figured up to be 110mm running some droop with a little internal limiting for the front.

1.55 Iroks and steelies

Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

What an awesome build, love the colour of the cab!

I like the look of the black pro10s with 1.9 MTZs or maybe paint the steelies black?

I've pretty much decided on getting a RC4WD Mojave with rear bed for my SCX10 Dingo, just need to figure out what length of links to get.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

got to thinking about shocks again a couple nights ago.

old school gmade transitions setup for droop.....nope way too long.....
plastic wraith shocks.....not too bad. need external limiting up front to keep the tires somewhat out of the body, maybe a little internal so they're not dropping too far out. so investing this possibility, i find AX30092 axial 72mm-103mm aluminum comp shocks. they are 10mm bore, butter smooth, and limiting inside/outside and tweaking bottom shock end they should be the ticket. ordered softer springs (backordered from RPP) to try but they may be too soft.

SCX10 plus some change - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presto change-o scx10 drifttoaster Axial SCX-10 12 07-24-2014 07:54 AM
Project 1.9 Scx10 JK Unlimited....Loose Change Desert Rc Axial SCX-10 63 01-26-2014 10:24 PM
Axial scx10 link change nwcrawlerkid General Crawlers 5 06-07-2011 07:02 PM
SCX10 TR Wheel base change!!???????? nghscx10 Newbie General 2 07-24-2010 01:56 PM