Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Is this info correct?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is this info correct?

been reading a few different threads on different vehicle types and so far it sounds like the Axial SCX-10 looks like a good place to start over rc4wd trailfinder and the Gmade stuff.

that said, I am confused on what is what as far as the various models. the Deadbolt seems like the popular choice to start with, but reading on a few sites there seem to be some upgrades the kit ones have that the the RTRs don't?

Is there a thread here that breakdowns each "model" specifically to what it has for upgrades on the vehicles?

I like building kits, actually prefer it, but not opposed to jusst taking apart a RTR and rebuilding if the good stuff is in the RTR.

Pretty much all new stuff to me, coming from racing side of things but looking for something slower to fun around with.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is this info correct?

The kits come without an esc, servo, and radio. The kits have upgraded steering links and lower links. The rtr come with electronics but you will need to upgrade the links and steering links.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thank you for the info!

I'll see what I can find for part # on the links and price the difference, though I am not even sure what is what looking at the manuals lol, just foreign right now.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I went through the same thing when I was picking out my SCX10 and I came up with this as the differences between the models:

Kits:
Dingo - lowest price, short wheelbase (11.4 in), aluminum steering and lower links, ripsaw tires, 3-link suspension F/R, accessories - F/R bumpers, fender flares, spare tire

Jeep Rubicon - highest price, long wheelbase (12.3 in), aluminum steering and lower links, aluminum shocks, maxxis tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), accessories - F/R bumpers, fender flares, spare tire, removable top

Jeep G6 - mid wheelbase (12 in), aluminum steering and lower links, aluminum shocks, maxxis tires, 4 link F/R suspension, accessories - front bumper, roof mounted light bar (no lights)

RTRs:
Honcho: long wheelbase (12.3 in), ripsaw tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), accessories - front bumper, spare tire, light kit, electronics - Castle ESC, weak servo

Jeep Rubicon: long wheelbase (12.3 in), maxxis tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), accessories - F/R bumpers, fender flares, spare tire, electronics - Castle ESC, weak servo

Jeep Rubicon CR Edition: most expensive, long wheelbase (12.3 in), BFG tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), accessories - F/R bumpers, fender flares, spare tire, light bars with light kit, electronics - Castle ESC, better servo

Deadbolt: least expensive, mid wheelbase (12 in), maxxis tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), HD center driveshafts, dual disk slipper with 32P gears, accessories - front bumper, roof mounted light bar (no lights), electronics - Hobbywing ESC (waterproof), better servo

Jeep G6 Falken: mid wheelbase (12 in), falken tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), HD center driveshafts, dual disk slipper with 32P gears, accessories - front bumper, roof mounted light bar (no lights), electronics - Hobbywing ESC (waterproof), better servo

Dodge Ram: long wheelbase (12.3 in), ripsaw tires, 3-link front/4 link rear suspension (convertible to front 4-link with parts in box), HD center driveshafts, dual disk slipper with 32P gears, accessories - none, electronics - Hobbywing ESC (waterproof), better servo

Hope that helps, I needed to see everything in one place to make my decision.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainlord View Post
thank you for the info!

I'll see what I can find for part # on the links and price the difference, though I am not even sure what is what looking at the manuals lol, just foreign right now.
Here's a link to option parts depending on what model you end up choosing --

Axial Racing - option parts

Remember though, the Kits come with aluminum steering and lower links (uppers remain plastic) while the RTR's have all plastic links. *svt923 did a good job of laying out the differences above.

Also be aware that there are certainly other alternatives to upgrade parts; Vanquish Products being recognized as one of the best/highest quality.

There's also lots of info regarding making your own links with threaded rods and other hardware store sourced parts, if you want to tackle that task and save some money.
GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

if you're going to stick with Axial parts, I'd go with the High Clearance knuckles.
Axial Hi-clearance Knuckles (2pcs)

VP also offers a set, traditional and Zero Ackerman (may want to go this route)... but you also have to buy VP C-Hubs then.

Also, you may want to look into making your own links.
Use 8-32 Stainless Steel threaded rod, Stainless Steel or Aluminum sleeve/tube and Traxxas Revo Rod Ends.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Is this info correct? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Duxx Axial SCX-10 31 08-30-2013 04:42 PM
The correct answer is..... 666 Colorado 19 02-18-2012 07:49 PM
Which way is correct? scruff007 Electronics 11 01-14-2007 12:51 AM