Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Required tools for SCX-10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

Default Required tools for SCX-10?

I've looked around a bit while I wait for my SCX-10's to arrive and I can't find a list of driver sizes that I'm going to need to work on one. There's a local shop here that sells nice hand tools and I want to check them out for the screwdrivers I'm going to need.

Can someone give me a short list of the drivers I'll need for this rig, and maybe some other tools that I'm going to need? First-up, I'm going to be installing the battery mounts featured in Harley's $50 budget build.

Thanks for any help!
NerdDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Required tools for SCX-10?

A good start: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phillips and a couple nut drivers and of course, needle nose pliers.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

1.5, 2, 2.5 mm Allen or hex or whatever you call them. needle nose pliers. Side cutters and a exacto knife are also listed in the manual

I believe the wheel nuts are m6, but it comes with a wrench for them
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

^ditto^

MiP brand...... Best quality set I've used, around 30ish for three of them, but well worth it. The cheaper brand tips will round after only a few uses.

Cheers
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^+1 MIPs are the best! Have fun with your build

Sent from my iPhone6 using Tapatalk
kookie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
1.5, 2, 2.5 mm Allen or hex or whatever you call them. needle nose pliers. Side cutters and a exacto knife are also listed in the manual

I believe the wheel nuts are m6, but it comes with a wrench for them
Wheel nuts are 7mm. I picked up a nut driver for those duties however the little wrench that comes in the kit will do just fine.
I'd get a good soldering iron too if you don't already have one. Also one of the helping hands tools is great to have also.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

Which SCX10 are you building? Some kits, like the Dingo, require a 2mm (or 5/64") drill bit for the fender flares and windshield, and a 3mm (or a 1/8" will work) drill bit for the roll cage. The Dremel 7-piece drill bit sets includes the 5/64" and 1/8". Just used these on the Dingo body as well as the Associated hex driver set linked above. A pin vise for these drills would also be handy.

Dremel drill bit set.
TowerHobbies.com | Dremel 7-Piece Drill Bit Set

Pin vise.
TowerHobbies.com | Hobbico Pin Vise 1/8 Collet w/3 Bits
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The number one tool you need is patience. You will undoubtedly put something in backwards, sideways or just forget something and then have to do an hour of work again. We all have done it. Remember to keep patience in your tool bag or it will cost you. And this is more of a lesson for me than you, as yesterday I got done soldering some new leads on and realized I had forgotten to put the heat shrink tubing on before I soldered . . . DOH!!!
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Which SCX10 are you building? Some kits, like the Dingo, require a 2mm (or 5/64") drill bit for the fender flares and windshield, and a 3mm (or a 1/8" will work) drill bit for the roll cage. The Dremel 7-piece drill bit sets includes the 5/64" and 1/8". Just used these on the Dingo body as well as the Associated hex driver set linked above. A pin vise for these drills would also be handy.

Dremel drill bit set.
TowerHobbies.com | Dremel 7-Piece Drill Bit Set

Pin vise.
TowerHobbies.com | Hobbico Pin Vise 1/8 Collet w/3 Bits
Good point - I forgot to point out that these two are RTR. Deadbolt and Falken. My daughter's going to be pretty excited to get hers going on Friday when it shows up, so I want to make sure I've got everything. Sweet... I wonder how many times I can get away with using the "my daughter's excited to..." line as an excuse for this hobby?

I do quite a bit of woodworking and DIY, so I've got everything except the small metric hex drivers. I'll go pick these up Friday now that I know which ones I'm going to need. Agree with the patience requirement - I've lost count of how many things I've screwed up and had to go back and re-make!

Last edited by NerdDoc; 01-01-2015 at 07:57 AM.
NerdDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Required tools for SCX-10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which tools required to assemble kit? jeffncs Tools, and Procedures 6 12-29-2013 09:18 PM
Lathe not required crawlerhawk Tools, and Procedures 15 08-09-2012 11:29 AM
required/recommended tools to have...maybe made a sticky? RedNeckRea Tools, and Procedures 12 05-09-2011 02:16 AM
help required,,,, b16bazza Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-17-2009 06:30 PM
tamiya hilift required tools for building TLTBASHER Newbie General 3 10-04-2006 11:39 PM