Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: After running it in water and mud? Axles and Trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

Default After running it in water and mud? Axles and Trans

Maybe it's because I'm old (ha) but I cannot get myself to run an RC or my SCX10 in the wet mud or in the water. I hate the idea of a strip down and clean out down to the bearings every time I dunk it.
For those of you who run the mud and creeks... Do you have to do a complete clean out of the axles and transmission every time to avoid rusty bearings and gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gmackhurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: After running it in water and mud? Axles and Trans

Many waterproof as much as possible to avoid the full rebuild. Grease packed into axles etc. plastic dip / corrosionX on electronics. Air compressor and some lubing afterwards.
Water in tires is also a pain in butt.
Water runs are so much fun, but I'm over them because of the post run maintenance required. Maybe it's because I'm old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Agreed. I have Plasti Dip'd my servo, packed the axles strategically with marine grease, add a gob of silicone sealant where the wires come out of the receiver box and you are set to submarine, at least in clean water. I strip down and regrease twice a year whether I need it or not. Mini air compressor in the car.
Timmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I run a healthy coat of marine grease(walmart brand) around the outter bearings. Light film on all the others, including the inner trans bearings. I do a check on the outter bearings after a good rinse in the sink, and thats about it. After about 10-15 runs, I enjoy picking the housings apart and cleaning out the old grease and putting some new in where needed. Still running the stock bearings in my 2 yr old honcho turned power wagon.

Plasti dipped RX with grease around the seams of the RX box.

Esc is a AE-2 plasti dipped, never had a problem with it.
O-ring around spline on inside and outside of casing, marine greas around case seams and spline. Headlight bulb grease on servo circuit board. Haven't peeled that apart in a while, it works and still has grease on it, shook it a few times and didn't hear anything that caused concern.

My truck doesn't see tons of thick mud, but it has been driven through the bottom of creeks fully submerged.

Tires, suck to get wet if vented or on vented wheels. Soggy foams dont dry out all that well even when vented(unless taken apart and left out to dry). I suggest leaving them sealed or sealing them if you plan on playing in the wet.

That's my personal experience with a wet scx. Not all that much is needed if done correctly, IMO.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote

After running it in water and mud? Axles and Trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 Hummer H2 in deep water and mud! stock 27t water/mud bash test boostnloose Videos! 2 10-14-2013 08:15 PM
Axles built for Water and Mud? JohnRobHolmes General Crawlers 40 08-16-2007 11:03 PM
Foam set-up for running mashers on mud and water? andres-tavares Tires and Wheels 4 07-28-2007 05:13 PM