Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to crawlers and the forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to crawlers and the forum

Another tip for homemade links.

I use a hacksaw for cutting my all thread and sometimes they don't want to start threading into the rod ends. If you have trouble getting them started, you can use a body reamer to bevel the opening in the rod end. Just don't over do it or you'll ruin the rod end. You only need to remove very little plastic material.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Williams View Post
Will the front drive shaft be vulnerable to premature breakage due to over extension? Not sue that's why I'm asking.

Another fix would be change the bumper to help with the approach angle.
So far it doesn't seem to be to extended to really worry about.
Inzane92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
I don't know if you've already built the new links but I'll share an fool proof method for making links. I never measure.

First you take one of each stock link and lay them out on a board. Pound a finishing nail through the eye of the links. This will be your jig for all thread and sleeves.

Remove the stock plastic link and set a Revo rod end on each nail. Mark the board at the end of each rod end. The space between the two rod ends will be your sleeve length. To set your all thread length, mark the board where the rod end starts to taper.

You can't really go wrong this way.
That is a great way of doing it. I was thinking of doing it a similar way like that. But didnt but i like the way they turned out.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
Another tip for homemade links.

I use a hacksaw for cutting my all thread and sometimes they don't want to start threading into the rod ends. If you have trouble getting them started, you can use a body reamer to bevel the opening in the rod end. Just don't over do it or you'll ruin the rod end. You only need to remove very little plastic material.
I was using a dremel so i would just sand the end the bevel the edge where the threads were, it took alottle to get them started but it worked none the less. Next time im gonna run a 8/32 tap into them.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #25

Well got them to where i want them. They look great. I ended up stretching the front lower links to match the rear links. The only problem i ran into was the front tires would catch the front bumper and since it was stock i just clearanced the front bumper.

Now i feel as if i did a pretty good job on the driveline angles for the front and rear

Then i had some left over brake line tubing so i decided to make some tail pipes for some scale points
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #26

Hey guys so i haven't been active lately due to being busy with work and trying to crawl when i can. So ive really gotten a good feel for the quality and strength that was engineered into out scx10s. I have yet to break, or burn out any of my stock components, hell ive accidentally dunked my crawler in some water and just let it dry for a few days and shes all good. Now when it fell into the water i was quick to pick it up so it didn't have time to soak into everything but glad it has survived. Now im looking to up her performance without changing the electrical components yet as they are working great and don't see a need to change much yet. So im looking for more flexibility, crawliblity etc.
So im already planning on getting the over/under drive gears (hardend) along with the spools that people have come out with. So i was thinking of running longer shocks like 100/110mm and running a lowing kit so i wont be sitting to tall but would still have all the travel of the shocks. Any other ideas to upgrade her?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #27

will post pics later
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane92 View Post
Hey guys so i haven't been active lately due to being busy with work and trying to crawl when i can. So ive really gotten a good feel for the quality and strength that was engineered into out scx10s. I have yet to break, or burn out any of my stock components, hell ive accidentally dunked my crawler in some water and just let it dry for a few days and shes all good. Now when it fell into the water i was quick to pick it up so it didn't have time to soak into everything but glad it has survived. Now im looking to up her performance without changing the electrical components yet as they are working great and don't see a need to change much yet. So im looking for more flexibility, crawliblity etc.
So im already planning on getting the over/under drive gears (hardend) along with the spools that people have come out with. So i was thinking of running longer shocks like 100/110mm and running a lowing kit so i wont be sitting to tall but would still have all the travel of the shocks. Any other ideas to upgrade her?
Steel transmission gears, perhaps.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, jeep, newb, scx10

New to crawlers and the forum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to forum and Rc crawlers Deizel Newbie General 4 04-08-2015 02:04 PM
New To forum and Crawlers PSSUPERSTORE Newbie General 18 04-12-2013 08:19 AM
New to forum, but not to crawlers bikerzee24 Newbie General 3 12-06-2012 07:32 PM
New ALRC (Alabama Rock Crawlers) forum is up. Rockcrawler Alabama 1 01-13-2008 07:37 PM
new to forum, specs of my crawlers thebodyman General Crawlers 2 08-29-2006 10:50 AM