Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to crawlers and the forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Cool New to crawlers and the forum

Hey guys im new to the forum and new to crawlers, but a long time lurker. So i finally picked up a axial scx10 jeep wrangler Rubicon. And i must say this thing is very capable. So far its completely stock. The only thing i have done is remove the spare tire and carrier so its not to roll over prone, and i moved the battery to the front and the esc to my custom redbox esc plateI plan on leaving this thing stock until i start breaking parts besides upgrades like links, a battery plate, and some beadlocks and some scale cosmetic additions. I also want to "waterproof" it so i can play in the water and around my grandparents pool since it looks like a natural spring with a water fall and stuff.
Here she is all new and pretty

on her maiden crawledge lol

She surprised me at how capable she is

So i live in sacramento and am looking to find people to go out and hit the rocks and the trails. Along with finding awesome trails and spots to crawl. I will be trying to join GSRCC and i think i saw something about a different scale rc club here in sac as well.
Inzane92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #2

Default Re: New to crawlers and the forum

So while out crawling with her apperently i guess the front window got caught on something either while reversing or in a roll over and broke the little plastic that was around the screw that holds the window to the cage. So idk how im going to re attach it. Im surprised tha there is lo little holding this window on i mean 2 little screws and a little lexan around the screws. might just super/hot glue it back on or something but idk. Anyone run in to this problem?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Can't say I have had that problem. But I did rip the arse out of my power wagon body on its first ride on the rocks. Shoe goo is a wonderful thing to have around. Strong, flexible and easy to clean off and reapply if needed.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

so after running her a bit, my front driveshaft is rubbing on the front 3 link. Any idea why this would happen? Im thinking on 4 linking the front but i dont know if everything to 4 link it came in the bag of extras that came with the truck. Id also like to either make some links using the all thread/sleeve method or just buying a set of links. How strong is the all thread/sleeve method?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1) shoe goo
2) 4 link it
3) nice poster
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

lol i just put the screw back in and used double sided tape.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

So been busy. But after running at Gsrcc 19 Ive been bitten by the mod bug. So i had already been planing on making links with all thread but idk what length to make them. And i did realize i will need screws and stuff for the front 4link. then ive been wanting to get some beadlocks. Now ive been contemplating between the plastic bead locks from axial and some metal beadlocks from ssd. The only problem with the ssd beadlocks is the way they are made you cant really add weight to them. Also what is everyone using for waterproofing?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

Im also planning on getting toykids 3d printed jk scale stuff to start adding scale points when i run at comps
Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #9

Just picked up some all thread to make my links just gotta get some brake line and the revo rod ends.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I use PlastiDip for waterproofing. For my ESC and Rx, I also use clear silicone for the LEDs. Otherwise I just dip the heck out of everything. When all plugs are in the Rx in the box, I then apply dip once again all over the connections.

So far everything has held up in knee deep water - only issue was no signal under water so I had to manually retrieve the truck, but it drive on immediately.
savagedustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane92 View Post
Now ive been contemplating between the plastic bead locks from axial and some metal beadlocks from ssd. The only problem with the ssd beadlocks is the way they are made you cant really add weight to them.
If you use steel beadlocks, you'll already get some extra weight there. Look at the inner track of the wheel, perhaps there is space for added weights. Otherwise there are other options - fishing lead ball weights, VP knuckle weights, just adding weights here and there on your truck.
savagedustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

i just went a head and picked up some axial beadlocks, i plan on picking up some bpc beadlock ring later on that will add some weight, i also picked up the traxxis rod ends that i need for my links and a bpc servo/4link mount now i just need some break tubing and i dont think i have enough link material to do the tie rod and drag link.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #13

Ok so i made my links and ended up making my 2 of my lowers links 155mm and the other 2 152mm which are way longer then my stock links, as im sure the uppers i made are to long as well. Does anyone have the link lengths for the 12.3in scx10 wheel base link length? Or would 155mm work. It just seems as if i hella stretched out the wheel base.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
i just went a head and picked up some axial beadlocks, i plan on picking up some bpc beadlock ring later on that will add some weight, i also picked up the traxxis rod ends that i need for my links and a bpc servo/4link mount now i just need some break tubing and i dont think i have enough link material to do the tie rod and drag link.
What axial beadlocks? Curious as I am looking into getting some.
Loverslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ok so i made my links and ended up making my 2 of my lowers links 155mm and the other 2 152mm which are way longer then my stock links, as im sure the uppers i made are to long as well. Does anyone have the link lengths for the 12.3in scx10 wheel base link length? Or would 155mm work. It just seems as if i hella stretched out the wheel base.
12.3" Powerwagon axial links are as follows:

Rear Uppers: 120mm
Rear Lowers: 130mm
Front Uppers: 110mm
Front Lowers: 120mm

Keep in mind that's center of the eyelet to center of the eyelet...total length from mount to mount position.
(redbeard) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loverslie View Post
What axial beadlocks? Curious as I am looking into getting some.
Axial sells some plastic bead locks they look pretty good and seem to hold the bead well but i havnt tried them on the rocks yet
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by (redbeard) View Post
12.3" Powerwagon axial links are as follows:

Rear Uppers: 120mm
Rear Lowers: 130mm
Front Uppers: 110mm
Front Lowers: 120mm

Keep in mind that's center of the eyelet to center of the eyelet...total length from mount to mount position.
Sweet thanks ill have to get to making them the right length
Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #18

So ive been thinking of extending the front alittle to increase the approach angle of my scx10. pretty much just going to match the front to the rear links. It doesnt seem to be to much of a difference.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Will the front drive shaft be vulnerable to premature breakage due to over extension? Not sue that's why I'm asking.

Another fix would be change the bumper to help with the approach angle.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't know if you've already built the new links but I'll share an fool proof method for making links. I never measure.

First you take one of each stock link and lay them out on a board. Pound a finishing nail through the eye of the links. This will be your jig for all thread and sleeves.

Remove the stock plastic link and set a Revo rod end on each nail. Mark the board at the end of each rod end. The space between the two rod ends will be your sleeve length. To set your all thread length, mark the board where the rod end starts to taper.

You can't really go wrong this way.
snicklefritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, jeep, newb, scx10

New to crawlers and the forum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to forum and Rc crawlers Deizel Newbie General 4 04-08-2015 02:04 PM
New To forum and Crawlers PSSUPERSTORE Newbie General 18 04-12-2013 08:19 AM
New to forum, but not to crawlers bikerzee24 Newbie General 3 12-06-2012 07:32 PM
New ALRC (Alabama Rock Crawlers) forum is up. Rockcrawler Alabama 1 01-13-2008 07:37 PM
new to forum, specs of my crawlers thebodyman General Crawlers 2 08-29-2006 10:50 AM