Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tbrown's Weekend Warrior Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tbrown's Weekend Warrior Jeep

I should start off when I started to to build the kit. I bought and built it while I lived in St. Louis. Did some mall crawling and once in a park. Had a novak 13.5t system in it. Then, when I moved to South Dakota. I got smart, I ditched the super unreliable brushless system. For a Cheapo 320 amp Chinese esc . This I waterproofed and it lasted me the South Dakota trails for quite some time. Then, the expected happened. The dang thing shorted out on me. That's when I remembered a good friend back home having this 5 year old beat to heck novak rooster esc. He graciously shipped it to me and I installed that with a 35t terra crawler motor. With this setup I drove easily 21 miles with that thing in 3 months. It wasn't easy either! I wish I had captured more pictures, I always lurked around here but never thought to post!
Anyway, After a lot of hard miles I found my shock hoops to be bending in a bit. Why spend $40 for aluminum towers, when I bought a set of $5 turnbuckle links and made supports? Which are still holding up without any issues. Next was the battery relocation. I've seen many people use zip-ties. I decided I wanted this to be less ghetto, yet easy to fix if it breaks. I used some servo mounts off the parts tree, attached them into the outside of the frame (Will snap pictures in the morning). Battery plate dropped right on. Next was my super cheap (and super ghetto) Chassis mounted servo kit. This was a $14 piece of aluminum from ebay. Sat between the frame rails. I later discovered it likes to knock itself loose and scoot. So, I made a weird looking rig inside the c-frame to push it back. Which now works awesome! Then had to come the Aluminum C-Knuckle. I actually have a video of it doing it! The truck was pretty much stock up until then. With how much I put that thing through I was impressed! Then, there came this weekend.. Returning home I instantly started modifying. Fixed the pan-hard setup, Rebuilt the whole truck, new LEDs, Cheaply painted tow-rings, then the fun part. Re-did my whole chassis layout, added a winch, made a snorkel, a cb antenna. Then I made my own winch receiver so I could run it off my radio. Made it in a pinch and was suprised it worked!
I should probably post some pictures...
First actual day on the trail! 5 miles did her good. Also burnt out one of the 3 Chinese escs I had

This one was a rough 7-mile wing-it hike. IT was a hot day for South Dakota (upper 90's lol). All up hill, no shade, hilly grassland. Yet we prevailed

My Personal favorite on the longest hike we took! I believe in poser shots, but only if you drive into the pose

I have so many trails that I've taken this on. Had some in the field repairs made. eve anything huge. Mainly popped out links. A couple loose screws ( should have used loctite).

This was the winch controller I made with an old servo. Took the board out, adjusted the proportionality dealio. Then liquid taped it, I ran it into my Auxiliary.

The box I made (had to do SOMETHING productive)

This picture shows The winch, CB antennae, and the snorkel.

Oh Hey! Under the body picture.

I also have a link to the video when she broke. Only 1 mile into a 3 mile trail!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWIOKZ-LzQ

Hopefully more to come!

Last edited by Tbrown; 01-22-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Tbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

Default Re: Tbrown's Weekend Warrior Jeep

nice Jeep man! love the topless full 4 door look
noahjp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Man I thought I was bad at staying updated.. lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Well, after meeting up with a good friend I got to try out his back yard track. Excuse the lousey editing and music. I've been working on using a new program and just playing around. The track was setup in an awesome configuration. I sadly couldn't get some places due to the camera. Along with how muddy the track was. Anyway! Enjoy! watch it!

So, I had some time on my hands and wanted to try and practice editing a bit. Feedback would be awesome! SCX10 Highlight Reel: http://youtu.be/H9sMhVFcAbA

Until I get a chance to take pictures of everything, I'll dump some trail pics!

[IMG]
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12321312_10200997980189363_4090396055629248005_n.j pg?oh=caeaa40c9a514e3f6e33001444896c0c&oe=571A49F1[/IMG]

My "Backyard" course

With where I was living in South Dakota, Internet was a rare thing for me. I'm not the type to go to a Starbucks.. Any who, I work quite a bit so its hard to document what I get done. Anywho, here's a shot out at a local pond. Not very many places to crawl in Small Town Illinois. Makes me appreciate the trails in SD that much more

One of the many hikes in SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeTT View Post
Beautiful landscape. I wish we had some of that in florida...
I miss the area so much, I am currently in the Champaign-Urbana Illinois area. Oh my, how flat is it here.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-26-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Spent the past two days off working on my SCX10. Hooked up some fog lights, fixed my links (pan hard bar, and third link). I also finished the decals for the scale body. Hopefully they hold up!

Fog Lights

[IMG]IMG_20160216_202529860[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I guess I'll go over how I set it up.

Electronics:
Castles SV3
Tekin 35t
Castle BEC
Hitec 646 servo
Dynamite 2s
Warn Winch (old servo controller)
SR300WP receiver.

Axial lower links, rear has E-revo upper links, the front has a random link I found in a parts bin, Steering is an SSD kit of the sort Vanquish CMS mount. RC4WD front and rear bumpers. Proline bead lock rims, Vaterrea swampers (free fitty!), MY favorite is deffinatly the SSD Axles. Other than that my absolute favorite mod has to be the wheel wells. Keeps so much mud, snow, and dirt off the electronics.
On to the pictures! (Ignore the mess of wires, gotta figure that one out)
[IMG]DSCN0110[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN0112[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN0115[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN0116[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Holy wow! So, I have been away for quite some time aye? I still putt around with my SCX10. However, my Jeep Cherokee is what keeps my occupied. Recently, it took me from South Dakota, to Colorado, to Utah, then Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, BACK to SD, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Then I flew out to Alaska. This is all on top of a trip to Europe before. It's been a busy year. ANYWAY, enjoy a couple videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpo3vG79w3c

annndd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB4MxMyMPoI&t=147s

The nukizer video is by far my favorite, the edit, the music, and my backyard!

Also, Picture of some outings with the full size and baby jeeps!

Last edited by Tbrown; 12-25-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Man, Where do I start?
First off. It's been years, and years, and years. I kinda got out of the hobby for awhile. I kept the 'ol SCX10. Just sat on a shelf busted for awhile. I got into big jeeps, and doing that stuff.
However, I have found myself back into the hobby. In the span of 7 months the crawler collection grew to a SCX10II, SCX10III Gladiator, an SCX10III build coming up, and a wraith. For now, this will stay as the Weekend warrior page. I'll get some photos together, and get a cool update going. I had a blast bringing it back to life, and an even bigger blast running it!
Old 12-13-2023, 09:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've thought I was leaving this hobby behind twice, but I was wrong both times. It's just ticks too many boxes for me; cool offroad models to look at, getting to fix and upgrade them, having fun driving them...

I came to the forum during your hiatus I think, but it's nice to see someone back at it. And it's cool that you kept this old SCX10. Gives me hope that my SCX10.3 will be still kicking decades from now.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I've thought I was leaving this hobby behind twice, but I was wrong both times. It's just ticks too many boxes for me; cool offroad models to look at, getting to fix and upgrade them, having fun driving them...

I came to the forum during your hiatus I think, but it's nice to see someone back at it. And it's cool that you kept this old SCX10. Gives me hope that my SCX10.3 will be still kicking decades from now.
Man, I got bit by the bug hard now that I'm back at it. With both my 1:1 Jeeps being down, I think that's what brought me back into the hobby.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

When I said "I'm not sure where to start", I meant it...

This little SCX10 has seen so many iterations over the years. From the JK body, to a Forest Service inspired JK body, to a nukizer, and ending where we are now. I dubed it "FFRSCX10".
The rig had the SSD D60s for awhile, which I took off and swapped to a set of SSD D44 pros! I did swap them again to the diamond axles but they are all the same. One thing hasn't changed, I am a fan of the SSD axles! It also now has a front dig setup, and a holmes hobby sealed can motor. It's still a super reliable, fun crawler. I'll share photos from adventures throughout the thread here. Next I'll probably post about the Proline I-Beam build I am about to finish up on!

Last edited by Tbrown; 12-16-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:20 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I thoroughly believe this little rig has more miles on it than most peoples hiking boots. This day was such a blast. It was an out and back 7 mile hike. It was a new spot I found, and it was GNARLY! Half way through, I flipped off an obstacle, and took a hard tumble. only thing that failed was the upper shock mount screw pulled from the threads. I pack in spare parts and hardware, so I ran a longer screw in. Then, We finished the hike!

I believe this was circa 2016?

Last edited by Tbrown; 12-16-2023 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 12-14-2023, 10:30 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I don't think I ever really posted the Nukizer body. I really shouldn't have gotten rid of this. I did recently, not knowing how rare they are now. It was one of my favorites!
This day was a 5 mile hike in one of the more desert areas. At this point I switched to a set of RC4WD Atturo trail blade MTS. Which, I still some how have. I believe this was 2017?

Last edited by Tbrown; 12-17-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

The FS JK

One of the bodies I did up was this JK inspired Forest Service Jeep. Kinda like what you'd see on the Rubicon or something. It really remained a shelf queen with this setup, but it went on a few different adventures! I still have this body laying around somewhere. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it's still here!

Old 01-15-2024, 08:52 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Some shots of the latest iteration! It's made it's way to the counter for a few upgrades. I'll make sure to show those here soon!

Last edited by Tbrown; 01-15-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:02 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

RIP Novak

First, I want to clarify, the esc works perfectly well! This esc has seen 12 years of use and abuse, liquid taped, janky soldering, overheated countless times, this thing has racked up more miles than most peoples hiking boots. However, I ended up with a hobby wing 1080, and wanted to give it a shot for the customization, and the nice adjustable BEC on the esc. I hope to have the same great experience I had with the old NOVAK Rooster with this hobby wing 1080

IF it aint broke, fix it anyway

I also received a set of cool VP knuckles, hubs? Yeah that, I got a set of cool looking VP parts to swap over! I had to replace bearings anyway, so here we are!
They look all nice and shiny, new bearings too. This old SCX10 is ready for the trail!

Tags
custer, jeep, scx10, trails

Tbrown's Weekend Warrior Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Warrior lonleycreeper Axial SCX-10 90 09-15-2014 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior bodean Scale Videos! 0 10-17-2013 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior project!! JDeezie82 Axial SCX-10 180 08-28-2012 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior Jeep JK notagain 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-26-2010 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior TJ Colby 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 06-08-2010 03:20 PM